Hotels in Las Terrenas

2dykes

Jan 11, 2005
We are wondering where to stay in Las Terrenas. We want small-town charm, low expense, cleanliness, ceiling fan, and a hot water bathroom. We are looking at the Casa Robinson, the Casa Nina, Hotel Diny, and Las Cayenas. How do these compare? Has Hurrican Jeane affected any of these hotels? Any help is appreciated.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
2dykes said:
We are wondering where to stay in Las Terrenas. We want small-town charm, low expense, cleanliness, ceiling fan, and a hot water bathroom. We are looking at the Casa Robinson, the Casa Nina, Hotel Diny, and Las Cayenas. How do these compare? Has Hurrican Jeane affected any of these hotels? Any help is appreciated.

Unless they've upgraded, Hotel Diny does not have hot water. Another option is Los Pinos. A bit rustic, but beautiful tropical gardens and French food. A MUST at any of the small hotels on the beach in LT is a MOSQUITO NET over the bed. Use it, or you'll regret it!

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
2dykes said:

I stayed at both Las Cayenas and Casa Nina and can recommend them. I don't know if they had any damage from the hurricane.

clara

Jan 6, 2005
I would strongly recommend Hotel Playa Colibri. There are many great reviews of this place in the "resort reviews" section of DR1.

I have stayed in many places in Las Terrenas and this was definitely the best in my experience. They are apartments with kitchen, ceiling fans, screens on the windows, hot water, and great views of ocean from 2nd and 3rd floor. Right across a sand road from the beach on the quieter side of town. A short trip to the center of town on moto or about 1/2 hour walking. I think the rates may have gone up for 2005, but should still be good value.

http://www.playacolibri.com/

Happy to answer any questions.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Las Terrenas has lots of hotels. Nearby Playa Bonita, too. Would go without a reservation and just check out the hotels and choose then You may consider moving from hotel to hotel as you tour the attractions in each area.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
reservations

I am living here in LT and would recommend that you get reservations. It's a big destination - many places are booked solid through March with snow birds. You can find the local paper on line at LT-7.com which will give you a map and a bit more information in Spanish and French. Colibri is tops as is the Palapa on the other side near Punto Poppy. Restaurant prices are expensive so it might be well to get a place with a kitchen. I rented a place on the same street as Casa Robinson and couldn't sleep a wink for the noise of the discos. You have to be beyond Ave. Benelux or over by Colibri to sleep. I think that the Diny will be loud at night as well - but the restaurant is good. I've seen the rooms at Los Pinos - small but very clean - ranging from $30 to $70 - with an airconditioner which you don't need this time of year.
Rancho Suisse is advertising at $17 a night - great location but I haven't seen the rooms. But they are Swiss, right? so they will have it clean..

It seems reasonably gay friendly here - although you can't dance with one another in the Dominican discos. upsets them. even if you are not gay!

but it's great fun here.

mountainannie

Juniper

Apr 15, 2004
I am very familiar with Las Terrenas since we owe a place there.

The only place I will highly recommend is PLAYA COLIBRI. There is nothing else like it there.

Profesional and competent staff, as well as friendly and helpful. Beautiful surroundings, clean, plenty of hot water, electricity and NO MOSQUITOS since doors and windows have screens.

Ladies, this is a class act at affordable prices. You cannot afford to take chances in Las Terrenas.

Juniper

P.S. Oh, and I forgot. It's right on the beach!