Bus Travel from Santo Domingo to Las Terrenas

2dykes

Jan 11, 2005
We are wondering how to get from Santo Domingo to Las Terrenas. We plan to take the bus and have heard that buses only leave at 7 a.m. and 3 p.m. each day. Is this true? How long does the bus trip take? How much are tickets and where do we buy them? Thanks.

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
2dykes said:
We are wondering how to get from Santo Domingo to Las Terrenas. We plan to take the bus and have heard that buses only leave at 7 a.m. and 3 p.m. each day. Is this true? How long does the bus trip take? How much are tickets and where do we buy them? Thanks.

You can buy your tickets from the caribe tours bus terminal. See there website at www.caribetours.com.do good luck

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
2dykes said:

Busses do not go all the way to Las Terrenas. When you see the road on the last leg of the trip you'll know why! You will need to get off at Sanchez and catch a ride on a gua gua or taxi.

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
sweetdbt said:
Busses do not go all the way to Las Terrenas. When you see the road on the last leg of the trip you'll know why! You will need to get off at Sanchez and catch a ride on a gua gua or taxi.

Bus schedule from Santo Domingo to Sanchez is 7:00 am, 8:30 am, 10:00 am,1:30 pm, 2:30 pm and 4:00 pm.

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
stallion said:
Bus schedule from Santo Domingo to Sanchez is 7:00 am, 8:30 am, 10:00 am,1:30 pm, 2:30 pm and 4:00 pm.

Sto Domingo - Sanchez:
These are the hours for Caribe Tours.
Metro Bus leaves only at 7:00 am and 3:00 pm as you wrote.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Trip takes about 4 hours if you go through San Francisco de Macoris. There is one bus that takes a shorter route; don't recall which bus that is.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
sweetdbt said:

Is there a gua gua from Sanchez to Las Terrenas? If so, is it close to the Caribe Tours bus station?

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
RonS said:
Is there a gua gua from Sanchez to Las Terrenas? If so, is it close to the Caribe Tours bus station?

Both times I have been to LT I was driving. However, my understanding from travel guides and word of mouth is that gua gaus and/or pick up trucks depart from the Texaco station in Sanchez every half hour. The place is so small, it can't be far from the bus stop.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
sweetdbt said:
Both times I have been to LT I was driving. However, my understanding from travel guides and word of mouth is that gua gaus and/or pick up trucks depart from the Texaco station in Sanchez every half hour. The place is so small, it can't be far from the bus stop.

Thanks for the info!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
RonS said:

The guaguas meet all buses in the hopes of having passengers for the trip to Las Terrenas.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Thanks again for your responses. I've made the trip to Las Terrenas a few times and never seen the gua gua. Does anyone know exactly where I can find it from the Caribe Tour bus station?

I really prefer the bus trip North simply to travel through the countryside, even though it's a 4 hour trip. I'll probably fly Aerodomca back to the capitol though.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I have traveled from Santo Domingo to Samana many times and every time somebody met the bus in Sanchez looking for people wanting to go to Las Terrenas. If you are looking for a bus, forget it. More likely it will be a pickup truck. But there will be somebody there looking for passengers bound for Las Terrenas.

This is a dependable source of revenue for those transporting people to Las Terrenas. One thing you can be sure of is that Dominicans don't ignore sources of revenue.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Ken said:
I have traveled from Santo Domingo to Samana many times and every time somebody met the bus in Sanchez looking for people wanting to go to Las Terrenas. If you are looking for a bus, forget it. More likely it will be a pickup truck. But there will be somebody there looking for passengers bound for Las Terrenas.

This is a dependable source of revenue for those transporting people to Las Terrenas. One thing you can be sure of is that Dominicans don't ignore sources of revenue.

Ture that! :)

Juniper

Apr 15, 2004
Where will you be staying in Las Terrenas? We have a place in Playa Colibri and I just call or e-mail them and tell them when I will be arriving in Sanchez and they send the taxi. Taxi costs approsimately US$20.00 but theya are reliable and safe. They also are very familiar with the bus schedules and know at what time it gets to Las Terrenas

Both Caribean Tours and Metro Tours are reliable.

I do not trust any other mode of transportation since the mountain is a little trecherous at times and I like to believe that the vehicle has good brakes!

Let me know how it goes!

Juniper

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Juniper said:
Where will you be staying in Las Terrenas? We have a place in Playa Colibri and I just call or e-mail them and tell them when I will be arriving in Sanchez and they send the taxi. Taxi costs approsimately US$20.00 but theya are reliable and safe. They also are very familiar with the bus schedules and know at what time it gets to Las Terrenas

Both Caribean Tours and Metro Tours are reliable.

I do not trust any other mode of transportation since the mountain is a little trecherous at times and I like to believe that the vehicle has good brakes!

Let me know how it goes!

Juniper

As a matter of fact, I'll be staying at the Colibri. I love that place! I'll email Marleen and Silvia and ask them to arrange the taxi. Thanks!

Juniper

Apr 15, 2004
(As a matter of fact, I'll be staying at the Colibri. I love that place! I'll email Marleen and Silvia and ask them to arrange the taxi. Thanks)

Marlene, Silvia or Susanna are all great at Playa Colibri.

When are you going to be there?

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Juniper said:
(As a matter of fact, I'll be staying at the Colibri. I love that place! I'll email Marleen and Silvia and ask them to arrange the taxi. Thanks)

Marlene, Silvia or Susanna are all great at Playa Colibri.

When are you going to be there?

February 21 - March 3; I want to do a day trip or two to visit with the whales in Samana Bay. :) I'll miss the Independence Day celebrations in Santo Domingo of the 27th, but I've been there, done that. I can't wait to get back to the DR!

I keep invisioning the beach at Playa Colibri while I make my way through Philadelphia in this 28F weather!

Juniper

Apr 15, 2004
(February 21 - March 3; I want to do a day trip or two to visit with the whales in Samana Bay. I'll miss the Independence Day celebrations in Santo Domingo of the 27th, but I've been there, done that. I can't wait to get back to the DR!

I keep invisioning the beach at Playa Colibri while I make my way through Philadelphia in this 28F weather!)

Yep! That's indeed the best time to go see the whales. We will probably be there around the same time.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Juniper said:
(February 21 - March 3; I want to do a day trip or two to visit with the whales in Samana Bay. I'll miss the Independence Day celebrations in Santo Domingo of the 27th, but I've been there, done that. I can't wait to get back to the DR!

I keep invisioning the beach at Playa Colibri while I make my way through Philadelphia in this 28F weather!)

Yep! That's indeed the best time to go see the whales. We will probably be there around the same time.

Well, if you see a short bald headed snow bird thawing out on the beach in front of Marleen and Silvia's office or strolling towards Playa Bonita in awe of the beauty of Las Terrenas, give me a shout. I would suggest meeting at the Colibri Bar, but I don't want to miss a second of it getting inebriated.

Have a safe flight down, and I'll see you there!