Golf information..

borderline

Jan 12, 2005
hello all, i am in the golf business and will be travelling to DR for the first time in the beginning of feb. i have tried to do as much research as i can via the internet but there are a couple of questions that maybe only the local golfers can answer. if you know a lot about the golf business in DR i would like to talk to you!

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
borderline said:
hello all, i am in the golf business and will be travelling to DR for the first time in the beginning of feb. i have tried to do as much research as i can via the internet but there are a couple of questions that maybe only the local golfers can answer. if you know a lot about the golf business in DR i would like to talk to you!

not a golfer myself....but a few of my bosses are and they rave about casa de campo

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Your contacts on this board is Hillbilly, Bushbaby and Bok (if he is here). Find any of those names, click on the name and you can send them a pm or e-mail. Best is to post your basic questions here and get the basics answered first.

borderline

Jan 12, 2005
Chris said:
Your contacts on this board is Hillbilly, Bushbaby and Bok (if he is here). Find any of those names, click on the name and you can send them a pm or e-mail. Best is to post your basic questions here and get the basics answered first.

Thanks for the advice Chris. I am wanting to talk to people directly involved in the golf industry in DR, specifically head pros or members of Fedogolf. I am also interested in finding out the public perception of the courses in DR and if GPS would be welcomed by the golfers.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
borderline said:
Thanks for the advice Chris. I am wanting to talk to people directly involved in the golf industry in DR, specifically head pros or members of Fedogolf. I am also interested in finding out the public perception of the courses in DR and if GPS would be welcomed by the golfers.

(smile) I stay with my recommendation of names. Talk to the folks that I mentioned and you'll get what you need.

Were you perhaps Sarasota, FL based when you started out with GPS on golf courses?

borderline

Jan 12, 2005
Chris said:
(smile) I stay with my recommendation of names. Talk to the folks that I mentioned and you'll get what you need.

Were you perhaps Sarasota, FL based when you started out with GPS on golf courses?

(bigger smile) No Chris we have always been canadian but we did get into the business at the same time as the Sarasota company (about 7 years ago).This link will tell all, including our partnership with Greg Norman. www.gpsindustries.com

Bok

Mar 13, 2004
Hi Borderline

I'm not in the golf business but I am a member of Fedogolf and a local golfer so let me know and I might be able to dig something up for you. I know Hillbilly and Bushbaby would be glad to assist too.

I noticed something about GPS in a response to Chris. I haven't seen anything of that kind anywhere I've played in the country. Would think it might be something for a resort or country club more than the individual golfer. However I only speak for myself.

Of golf businesses that I know of in Sto Dgo only Golf Citee on Av. 27 de Feb. remains. Email: golfcitee@hotmail.com
Mundogolf on Av. Romulo Betancourt closed a few months ago. They were also running the pro shop on my home golf course, Las Lagunas. That one's still open but I don't know if someone else took over. They have some decent stuff there, well known brands, and prices are close to US store prices (I remember one Callaway driver went for 419 USD while Edwin Watts charged 399). Price tags are in USD and the daily rate is being used when you buy something. It's not as well equipped as any Edwin Watts though, very far from it and the girl behind the counter knows squat about golf, the game or the equipment. Her nails are well polished though.......

I'm rambling. What were your questions again???

Cheers,
Bok

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
proof that I really know something about everything

Bok said:
Of golf businesses that I know of in Sto Dgo only Golf Citee on Av. 27 de Feb. remains. Email: golfcitee@hotmail.com

I only opened this thread because I saw your name in it. ;) I wouldn't normally bother with anything with golf in the title. Imagine my surprise when I find that I actually have something to add!

Golf Citee have opened a new branch in the Diamond Mall.

Impressed? I was. :laugh:

Tordok

Bronze
Oct 6, 2003
Hi Borderline,
Hope your screen-name is not a diagnosis. Hey, I'll send you a PM with a good local contact involved in the game and business of golf in La Romana and Punta Cana for many years. Might prove of help to you.

- Tordok :bandit:

borderline

Jan 12, 2005
Whats' in a name...

Tordok said:
Hi Borderline,
Hope your screen-name is not a diagnosis. Hey, I'll send you a PM with a good local contact involved in the game and business of golf in La Romana and Punta Cana for many years. Might prove of help to you.

- Tordok :bandit:

Thank you Tordok, I appreciate any info I can get - as for the name, it just seemed to stick after years in the institution...

RandyE

Feb 4, 2002
Some courses in PA and NY use these systems, mostly high end daily fee clubs. As far as any places on the North shore using GPS, can't see it being feasable with the exception of Playa Grande. As tordok posted, Southeast may be more receptive- many more resort type courses and players that are accustomed to having GPS.

borderline

Jan 12, 2005
You don't have to be accustomed to having gps...

RandyE said:
Some courses in PA and NY use these systems, mostly high end daily fee clubs. As far as any places on the North shore using GPS, can't see it being feasable with the exception of Playa Grande. As tordok posted, Southeast may be more receptive- many more resort type courses and players that are accustomed to having GPS.

What if you were not accustomed to gps, what if you were just a golfer, a regular golfer who is seeing the course for the 1st time and were given the opportunity to see accurate distances (within 2 yards) to the pin as well as the ability to order food and beverages from your cart (anywhere on the course and have it delivered to you) as well as the opportunity to open up your laptop in the clubhouse (or anywhere within the golf course) and receive the internet wirelessly. Would you pay extra for this service? If so, how much? Around $5 is the break even point for the golf course which has the opportunity to make nothing but profit from sources such as increased rounds due to having gps, increased food and beverage sales due to the convenience of ordering from the cart as well as the business people that are able to take clients golfing for lunch and be able to do business at the course after eating lunch. It is also a proven fact that rounds are much faster with gps - as much as 25-30 minutes faster per round. Lets' see, 3 extra tee times per day at say $75 per round (4 to a group), you do the math. But the bottom line remains:will the golfer pay an extra few dollars for it? Probably!

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Hey back up for a minute, the GPS system would show a golfer where on the hole he is and how many yards he is from the hole/green? That would be kind of cool, if the technology is easy to use.

borderline

Jan 12, 2005
Hands free

Conchman said:
Hey back up for a minute, the GPS system would show a golfer where on the hole he is and how many yards he is from the hole/green? That would be kind of cool, if the technology is easy to use.

What the golfer sees is a "map" of each hole shown from an overhead view, like the layout of the hole shown on some scorecards or yardage books. The proper hole comes up automatically (on a 10.4 inch colour LCD screen mounted off the steering column) as the cart enters a new tee box. As the cart progresses up the fairway, yardage counts down to the hole and various other points that are tagged such as water or bunkers. The golfer does not have to even touch the system unless he wants to keep score and have his digital scorecard printed out in the pro shop. A scrolling CBS sportsline keeps people in the know about how their team is doing during the round and a "look ahead" feature shows how far ahead of you the other group is and thus whether you can hit up on them or not. All this is also hands free. Unfortunately you would have to punch a few buttons if you wanted to scroll down the menu for the restaurant and order food or drinks from your cart but after a 2 minute orientation, you would be able to do that and more! Ahh... gotta love technology!

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Okay, so refine it a bit more to help me find 6 of the 10 balls I push, slice or hook into the rough or water each round I play, straighten up my drive to just a minimul hook or slice (i.e. a nice controlled draw or fade) & I'll buy THREE of the things just for myself!!!

Sounds interesting & YES, a load of the golf courses down here SHOULD be interested in making these available to their members - whether you can get new techology over to the club professional & club committees, is another matter. Another RD $150 for cart hire with GPS availability is not much but making the cost of hiring a cart DOUBLE what it is now might be more difficult to introduce. Would I be correct in assuming that such features in a cart would have to be "switched off" during competitions due to the fact that they are illegal or do not comply with PGA rules?? ~ Grahame.

borderline

Jan 12, 2005
Hitmen from Titleist kill gps supplier.....

BushBaby said:
Okay, so refine it a bit more to help me find 6 of the 10 balls I push, slice or hook into the rough or water each round I play, straighten up my drive to just a minimul hook or slice (i.e. a nice controlled draw or fade) & I'll buy THREE of the things just for myself!!!

Sounds interesting & YES, a load of the golf courses down here SHOULD be interested in making these available to their members - whether you can get new techology over to the club professional & club committees, is another matter. Another RD $150 for cart hire with GPS availability is not much but making the cost of hiring a cart DOUBLE what it is now might be more difficult to introduce. Would I be correct in assuming that such features in a cart would have to be "switched off" during competitions due to the fact that they are illegal or do not comply with PGA rules?? ~ Grahame.

Bushbaby, if I could come up with a device that would locate your $4 Pro V1 each time it goes OB and do this for every golfer, I think the boys at Titleist would put a contract out on me faster then I could say gps!

Seriously though, yes, you can easily shut the units off completely or just turn off the yardage indicators giving only a overhead view of the hole. All gps systems must be shut off to comply with PGA sanctioned tournaments - they are legal for all others. We also have an entry-level system which is a hand-held unit that can easily clip to your bag (great for people that want to walk the course and still use gps), it uses a 5' monochrome LCD display but still has all the goodies that its' big brother has. This system is lower in cost and geared towards non-resort courses. These units could also become a tool for the caddies if the course provides them.
If time permits during my visit I am considering having a sort of "show and tell" session for the golfers in DR that are interested in seeing the product - if the response is good then I might tee it up (oh thats' BAD!) after a course presentation. Would you come to such a thing? Let me know!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
They ain't legal for any tournament played under the Rules of Golf.

However, for touritst hacking their way around a course, this is, of course a saviour. That is its economic appeal. More rounds played = more money.

I think that the courses of Playa Grande, Playa Dorada, Metro, Guavaberry, All the ones at La Romana and Bavaro would find this economically feasible and attractive.

However, this will be a corporate decision, not one taken by the club pro!.

You will have to talk to be big guys: Menendez or Paniagua at La Romana.

And as the property at Playa Grande is still up for sale, there really isn't anyone to talk to.. At Playa Dorada, the Hotel Association now owns the course so they might be easier to get in touch with.

I don't know the people at Bavaro or Punta Cana, but when you get here you can call Fedogolf and talk to people like Willy Pumarol who can point you in the right direction. Or Marcos Troncoso the FEDOGOLF president.

Good luck.

HB :D:D

borderline

Jan 12, 2005
This info is golden...

Hillbilly said:
However, for touritst hacking their way around a course, this is, of course a saviour. That is its economic appeal. More rounds played = more money.

I think that the courses of Playa Grande, Playa Dorada, Metro, Guavaberry, All the ones at La Romana and Bavaro would find this economically feasible and attractive.

However, this will be a corporate decision, not one taken by the club pro!.

You will have to talk to be big guys: Menendez or Paniagua at La Romana.

And as the property at Playa Grande is still up for sale, there really isn't anyone to talk to.. At Playa Dorada, the Hotel Association now owns the course so they might be easier to get in touch with.

I don't know the people at Bavaro or Punta Cana, but when you get here you can call Fedogolf and talk to people like Willy Pumarol who can point you in the right direction. Or Marcos Troncoso the FEDOGOLF president.

Good luck.

HB :D:D

Thank you HB, this is the kind of information that can really help. Working your way up the chain of command while avoiding lots of toes is a part of doing successful business but starting near or at the top can save a lot of time and grief.
What are your personal thoughts on the combination of golf & gps? Have you ever played a course that offered it? The closest install that we have to DR is Greg Normans' course in Naples, FL - Tiburon.

Cheers.