Visiting Haiti?

ustelephone

Mar 31, 2004
www.ecoislandadventures.com
I've been living here in the DR for over a year and feel a need to visit Haiti. I realize that I am opening myself up for a lot of advise about not going. What I am really interested in is any information or experiences that would help me plan the best trip possible. I would like to explore the country a bit in a 4X4. My questions are: Which border crossing is a wise choice? Are there areas that would be better or safer than others? Can anyone recommend a specific place to go and a route to get there?

Thanks in advance for any help.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
ustelephone said:
I've been living here in the DR for over a year and feel a need to visit Haiti. I realize that I am opening myself up for a lot of advise about not going. What I am really interested in is any information or experiences that would help me plan the best trip possible. I would like to explore the country a bit in a 4X4. My questions are: Which border crossing is a wise choice? Are there areas that would be better or safer than others? Can anyone recommend a specific place to go and a route to get there?

Thanks in advance for any help.

I won't comment on the risk element in the current environment, but there is a practical issue with the vehicle, unless you own the 4x4. You can't take a rental across the border. There are busses to Port Au Prince, and I suppose it is possible to rent one there.

ustelephone

Mar 31, 2004
el gringo 762 said:
i've got a mission for you. we strip you naked. shave you. wrap a flag around your shoulders and run you down rpg alley whistling dixie...

sounds about as entertaining as running around haiti in a 4x4.

I already did Bagdad naked, and I was whistling dixie with a flag wrapped around me. Most of the other board members know the story, sorry you were left out.

Do you have any further valuable information?

ustelephone

Mar 31, 2004
sweetdbt said:
I won't comment on the risk element in the current environment, but there is a practical issue with the vehicle, unless you own the 4x4. You can't take a rental across the border. There are busses to Port Au Prince, and I suppose it is possible to rent one there.

Thanks, I forgot about the rental vehicle policy. I was going to rent a 4x4 as the one my friend is considering driving us in is a 2001.

Quisqueya

Bronze
Nov 10, 2003
Ustelephone,
Thank you for showing interest in exploring Haiti. Believe me you won't regret it at all. If you want to explore the first place Christopher Columbos landed than come to haiti. If you want to explore where blacks and mulattos emanicipated themselves from the conquistadors come to Ayiti Cherie. Ok, now let me tell you what to do. Although you can't cross the border with a rental car..Anything is possible when you have pesos. Dominicans guarding the frontier let everything thru if you pay the right price. Although I wouldn't suggest doing that. Listen, take the Caribe Tour bus which drops you off in Petionville. The trip alone you'll blow your mind away. Once in haiti. I recommend staying at the Kinam Hotel on Rue Lamar. Whatever language you speak we'll be able communicate with you. I suggest you ask the receptionist to find you a driver to explore the beautiful island. I suggest you go to Kenscoff which gets pretty cold and you'll need a jacket. From there go to "Fort Jacques" and see the strategic forts that kept British from invading. Go to the Zoo and buy authentic paintings. The owner of the boutique is italian descendant. While you're up their take a look at the beautiful mansions which are blocks long. If you have patience and want to know the real haiti take the tap-tap(guagua) up to Kenscoff. You'll see the same lively colors buses with huge sound systems picking up passengers. From there head south to Jacmel and catch the carnaval. Beautiful masks and live music and people in the streets just having a great time. Jacmel is a town where the majority of the people are mulattos and fairskin and most the great great writers of haiti came from. It is also the place where Simon Bolivar, the Liberator of S. America, took refuge and got assistance(weapons, troops) to go kick arse in S.A. Its also worth going swimming on the best beaches on the island. Yes the whole island(warning the currents are very strong so dont go to far.) From there head north to L'artibonite region(Central Plateau) where Africa meets the new world. In this region St. Marc, Gonaive you'll find the richest culture of the whole island. On your way their you can stay at Wahoo bay. The owner is a French guy whose been living in Haiti for more than 20 yrs. You'll alot of american tourist there but mainly french, canadians, germans, italians. This beach/hotel you'll find the hottest haitian women enjoying themselves. Dont forget to eat there and have "conche with fried plantains" or "lambi". From there head to Cap-Haitien which was called Cap-Francais where you'll find brilliant crafts and art(more complex than Picasso & Gaugin). Go to the eighth wonder of the world "Citadelle" ...I must warn you that standing on top of it look down will make you piss in ur pants. This is where the Great Henri Christophe reigned. Farther west go to Port de Paix and look over across at night time beautiful view of cuba. Most of that town are populated by cubans. Take a boat to Ile de la Tortue where the pirates first landed and infiltrated onto Hispaniola and snatch up from the Spaniards. Go farther east to "Labadee" which were the royal caribbean stops and tell people that they are some exclusive private island..Sure!!! It will cost 10US to get in. Warning everything there is super expensive...so I suggest you keep ur money in ur pocket. Keep going east to Ounaminthe where Haiti and DR merge into one. You'll have no idea if the people are haitian or dominicans...Even they don't know...LOL.. Most are/were born on the Dominican side but migrated during the massacre..

Afterwards, cross the bridge into Dajabon and hopefully it will be market day and you'll see both habitants trading everything in spanish and creole..Warning the dominicans guards are thieves so make sure to keep an eye on them. They usually try to rob haitians and dominicans from the area. This the spot where you'll see tensions between the two nations the most.

I have many more places that would be of interest..If you need numbers I will be gladly to provide them to you....We are very humble,creative, intelligent people with alot of pride of our country... I suggest you not to talk about politics and the gov't and you'll be fine.

ustelephone said:
Thanks, I forgot about the rental vehicle policy. I was going to rent a 4x4 as the one my friend is considering driving us in is a 2001.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
ustelephone said:

2001 model? s**t, it ain't even broke in yet! There are a lot of reasons I could give you to not take this trip (right now at least), but that wouldn't be one of them!

Quisqueya

Bronze
Nov 10, 2003
Please stop discourage people from exploring Haiti...Its safe to go...just follow my advice and never mention politics....

Sweetdbt, where are you from?

sweetdbt said:
2001 model? s**t, it ain't even broke in yet! There are a lot of reasons I could give you to not take this trip (right now at least), but that wouldn't be one of them!

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Quisqueya said:
Please stop discourage people from exploring Haiti...Its safe to go...just follow my advice and never mention politics....

Sweetdbt, where are you from?

I live in the US (Virginia), and plan on relocating to the DR within the next 2 years. Actually, I thought I was being careful NOT to discourage ustelephone from making this trip, which is why I did not elaborate. He's a big boy and can make his own choice.

I'm sure the restoration of a more normalized level of tourism would greatly benefit the Haitian people, and have no doubt that those who venture there now are warmly greeted by the general public. I personally will be waiting for something more akin to stability before making that trip. :nervous:

Quisqueya

Bronze
Nov 10, 2003
Je vous en prie. I can assure you that nothing will happen unless you stick ur nose in something bad. Take a look at Bassin Bleu...http://www.kopagroup.org/Projects.htm.......untouched white sandy beach....there's more...you just have know idea how beautiful Haiti is..come....to the other side of the island....we are honest people...can't bet it..going to another country on same island...I will provide precise information....

juanita said:
Congrads...great report! It made me want to go too! ;)

BigCity27

Mar 4, 2004
Quisqueya said:
Go to the eighth wonder of the world "Citadelle" ...I must warn you that standing on top of it look down will make you piss in ur pants..
Excellent post, Quisqueya! Makes me want to explore Haiti. I tried looking up info on Citadelle, what, exactly, will make me piss my pants

Quisqueya

Bronze
Nov 10, 2003
Sweeetdbt,

I am can assure what u see on tv is pure propaganda and are just some isolated areas. U'll have a great time and its safe.....Just like anywhere in the world common sense will be ur best guidance.....

sweetdbt said:
I live in the US (Virginia), and plan on relocating to the DR within the next 2 years. Actually, I thought I was being careful NOT to discourage ustelephone from making this trip, which is why I did not elaborate. He's a big boy and can make his own choice.

I'm sure the restoration of a more normalized level of tourism would greatly benefit the Haitian people, and have no doubt that those who venture there now are warmly greeted by the general public. I personally will be waiting for something more akin to stability before making that trip. :nervous:

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Quisqueya said:
Je vous en prie. I can assure you that nothing will happen unless you stick ur nose in something bad. Take a look at Bassin Bleu...http://www.kopagroup.org/Projects.htm.......untouched white sandy beach....there's more...you just have know idea how beautiful Haiti is..come....to the other side of the island....we are honest people...can't bet it..going to another country on same island...I will provide precise information....

Je ne peut pas ouvrir le lien! Can't open the link! :cry:

Quisqueya

Bronze
Nov 10, 2003
BigCity,

Well, once at the top you will need to lay on the ground to look down because its so so high that if you happen to look down after drinking some cerveza you will definitely fall over. I was scared out of my arse to look down standing up.... Til this day europeans are dumbfounded by the structure and the strategies of so called ignorant slaves.

Blacks and mulattoes in N. and S. America use to take boats and seek refuge in the only place in the Americas were any non-european can call himself a freeman. We were a big threat to the New independent country to the North who had a large population of slaves working in the cotton Fields. They sure didn't want them slaves founding out about Haiti...even till this day...

Here are some pics of the Citadelle, Sans Souci(which means without eyebrows) since when look up to see it, your eyes will roll in the back of your head...

check it out...http://www.discoverhaiti.com/sights_cap_012000.htm

Believe you have know idea what you've been missing...

BigCity27 said:
Excellent post, Quisqueya! Makes me want to explore Haiti. I tried looking up info on Citadelle, what, exactly, will make me piss my pants

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I've climbed Citadelle twice and can heartily, and somewhat breathlessly, recommend it. ;)

Quisqueya

Bronze
Nov 10, 2003
I am glad you came to see my side of the island. I wish many more tourist and ex-pats from the DR venture off to Ayiti Cherie. Haiti at one time us to be one of the hottest toursit spot in the carib. I hope with the growing tourist sector in the DR people we'll get an adventure off the price of one airfair....

Chiri, where else did you go?... I hope you had the chance to go to Coco Beach....sand alone and the fresh juice from the stand will make you forget about everything.....not to mention the sky blue waters....

All are welcome...dont forget your cash....and be generous...all major credit cards are accepted...

If you want to listen to Kompas the slow version of the dominican merengue than come..If you want to learn the real salsa "son" via cuba come to Ayiti..We have the best salsa clubs and dancers...

Just have common sense and keep away from politics...

Chirimoya said:
I've climbed Citadelle twice and can heartily, and somewhat breathlessly, recommend it. ;)

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Quisqueya said:
Chiri, where else did you go?... I hope you had the chance to go to Coco Beach....sand alone and the fresh juice from the stand will make you forget about everything.....not to mention the sky blue waters....

My experience of Haiti is not applicable to someone wanting to travel from the DR to visit as a tourist.

I travel to Haiti for work, first in 96 and 98, and several times over the last year. I'm looked after - mollycoddled even - by my colleagues there, most of whom are Haitian, so I've never ventured out on my own. The places I know best are Port au Prince, Gonaives, the Far West, Cap Haitien and the coffee growing areas near the Dominican border in the NE. We very rarely have time for sightseeing but I've been to the beaches near Cap: Corniere Plage (sp?) and Labadie. Very nice, too. I'd love to visit Jacmel and the south on a future trip.

Just have common sense and keep away from politics...

Au contraire, I find that most people you meet are OK about this. The political situation and Haiti's history are not taboo subjects. Neither is their take on why Haiti is in the situation it's in. My impression is that people can see the problems in context, and are well informed, reflective and analytical about their own history and that of the rest of the world. There is some over-glorification, but they usually don't stop short of self-criticism. I wish I could say the same for citizens of more 'developed' nations.

Still, I honestly can't say what it would be like for an independent traveller.

Quisqueya

Bronze
Nov 10, 2003
Well, I appreciate the works and your contribution to Haiti....but I think you should enjoy haiti. Its in our nature to take care of foreigners and make sure that they are safe and sound... That's why I can assure that nothing will happen to a tourist if he doesn't get into illegal activities.

Hope you keep coming....

Chirimoya said:
My experience of Haiti is not applicable to someone wanting to travel from the DR to visit as a tourist.

I travel to Haiti for work, first in 96 and 98, and several times over the last year. I'm looked after - mollycoddled even - by my colleagues there, most of whom are Haitian, so I've never ventured out on my own. The places I know best are Port au Prince, Gonaives, the Far West, Cap Haitien and the coffee growing areas near the Dominican border in the NE. We very rarely have time for sightseeing but I've been to the beaches near Cap: Corniere Plage (sp?) and Labadie. Very nice, too. I'd love to visit Jacmel and the south on a future trip.

Au contraire, I find that most people you meet are OK about this. The political situation and Haiti's history are not taboo subjects. Neither is their take on why Haiti is in the situation it's in. My impression is that people can see the problems in context, and are well informed, reflective and analytical about their own history and that of the rest of the world. There is some over-glorification, but they usually don't stop short of self-criticism. I wish I could say the same for citizens of more 'developed' nations.

Still, I honestly can't say what it would be like for an independent traveller.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Count me in...

Quisqueya said:
Well, I appreciate the works and your contribution to Haiti....but I think you should enjoy haiti. Its in our nature to take care of foreigners and make sure that they are safe and sound... That's why I can assure that nothing will happen to a tourist if he doesn't get into illegal activities.

Hope you keep coming....

I have always wanted to go to Haiti, and seeing as I am in the DR almost every other month, I would definitely be down to see what it is like. I will keep you posted, as I will be in the Puerto Plata region this summer with a little time on my hands...by the way, should I take my girlfriend? She lives in Santo Domingo and would probably be into the trip herself, or is it better to fly solo?

mne01

Sep 5, 2002
Quisqueya! What a post! You should work for the haitian tourist office... I haven't had the fortune of visiting all the sites you mention but I've been to Cap-Haitien, La Cidatel and Labadie. It was truly an experience, no doubt about that. I spent 4 months in the DR and 3 days in Haiti, but beliveve me, I've spoken just as much about Haiti since I got back home. I'm so fascinated by the country's history, and its people. I've even become engaged in their destiny, keepin an eye on the political turbulence there eversince.

I'd still not recommend it to just any tourist, though. Although you may find your resorts and even all-inclusives, its not like the DR. The DR is in many ways MADE for for foreigners and tourists - its so large a post of their economy. In Haiti its not the same, for better and for worse. I personally really enjoyed it but if you prefer a relaxing, non-problematic trip, this might not be your choice(I don't know to what extent you agree, Quisqueya?).

By the way, for those going I must recommend Labadie beach. Its the closest to paradise I've ever been and it demonstrates the upsides of a beautiful country not totally dedicated to tourists. I know parts of the area is exploited by American cruising lines who (think they) own parts of the area, which they protect with armed guards. But away from that, you will find a slice of heaven in the miniature bay of Hotel Belli beach. I can't explain it any better right now or explain the way there but its truly amazing .

Not to speak about the Citadel. It's breathtaking. What a piece of architecture! And hey, I'm from Europe, I've seen a whole bunch of old castles and forts and architectural masterpieces and sure we have some fine ones but man, La Citadel is the bomb!

I am coming to the DR next week and I will try to visit Haiti. I'm not sure of going there myself though. What is your opinion on that, Quisqeya - will I make it on my own in, say, Port-au-Prince?

Cheers
mne

Last edited: