Help me out with the North here pls

mne01

Sep 5, 2002
Hello!

I just found a bargain seat with a charter company. This means I'm finally coming back to the DR, although just for a short stay. The flight goes to Puerto Plata and therefore I thought I'd stay in the North for a couple of days before and after flights. In between I'll be in Santo Domingo.

So, I was hoping you helpful DR1 people maybe have some advice on where to head from PP airport? Cabarete, Sosua, Puerto Plata? What do you suggest? My flight arrives at 2pm so I might even make it to Saman? (if there's a connection). This is what I wish for:

- BUDGET accomodation! This is important! I wish to pay no more than 20$ a night.
- A somewhat calm and relaxing place, preferrably not the most overexploited tourist area of them all. I just want to sit and read and take a swim now and then.

Btw, is there a risk that I will have a hard time finding accomodation, would you say?

Thank you!

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
mne01 said:
Hello!

I just found a bargain seat with a charter company. This means I'm finally coming back to the DR, although just for a short stay. The flight goes to Puerto Plata and therefore I thought I'd stay in the North for a couple of days before and after flights. In between I'll be in Santo Domingo.

So, I was hoping you helpful DR1 people maybe have some advice on where to head from PP airport? Cabarete, Sosua, Puerto Plata? What do you suggest? My flight arrives at 2pm so I might even make it to Saman? (if there's a connection). This is what I wish for:

- BUDGET accomodation! This is important! I wish to pay no more than 20$ a night.
- A somewhat calm and relaxing place, preferrably not the most overexploited tourist area of them all. I just want to sit and read and take a swim now and then.

Btw, is there a risk that I will have a hard time finding accomodation, would you say?

Thank you!

You won't have a hard time finding accomodation, just finding it for under $20! There used to be lots of options in that price range, but those days are gone. I believe Rockey's in Sosua would be one, unless he's gone up. It's a great time to go to Samana, and the Bahia View may have some rooms in that range. The double room with Bay view was RD700. Some of the others may be less. The Sensacion on the North Highway near the entrance to Costumbar (a few Ks West of PP) is the best bargain on the north coast. 2 room suites w/fridge, wet bar, cable TV and a wonderful pool for RD600 (as of Oct.). The problem is they refuse to take reservations, and word has gotten around to the locals, who are now renting the suites there, (and not just the cabanas in back). Getting a room in the afternoon is hit or miss regardless of high or low season.

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Caribe Tours has a bus daily from Sosua to Samana. Leaves at 8 am. Enroute, picks up in Cabarete and other resort towns on north coast. Leaves Samana at 4 pm

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
I'm confused

Why would you go to Samana if you are arriving in POP and only staying a couple days before heading to Santo domingo? It is a good 3 to 3 1/2 hours to samana....

I would try the Sensacion as well. I'm told it is an okay place. You could try beside portofino's restaurant but it is noisy.

There are other places past Sensacion if you can't get in there but I don't know the prices.

mne01

Sep 5, 2002
Sensacion!

Thanks for the replies. Keep on posting!

I wasn't aware the ride to Saman? was so long. It's just that I've been there before (I've been to Las Terrenas and Las Galeras) and I've gotten the impression that it's less exploited by tourists than the Puerto Plata area (where I've never gone). But now that you mention the distance, it might not be worth it.

But what about this Sensacion thing? Seems like a good idea, except the fact that they don't take reservations. How do I get there from PaP airport and how much should I pay? Is Sensacion a hotel or a community, by the way? And if there are no vacancies, are there other hotels nearby?

And an answer to jimmydr - the caribetours rides are always affordable (compared to busrides of similar standard in other countries).

best,

mne

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
mne01 said:
Thanks for the replies. Keep on posting!

I wasn't aware the ride to Saman? was so long. It's just that I've been there before (I've been to Las Terrenas and Las Galeras) and I've gotten the impression that it's less exploited by tourists than the Puerto Plata area (where I've never gone). But now that you mention the distance, it might not be worth it.

But what about this Sensacion thing? Seems like a good idea, except the fact that they don't take reservations. How do I get there from PaP airport and how much should I pay? Is Sensacion a hotel or a community, by the way? And if there are no vacancies, are there other hotels nearby?

And an answer to jimmydr - the caribetours rides are always affordable (compared to busrides of similar standard in other countries).

best,

mne

More info on my "home away from home" in POP. The Sensacion has a hotel with 8 suites in front, with a number of cabanas (Dominican drive-in "love motels") in the back. The little office is to the right. Ask for an "apartemente", not a "habitation", or they will try to put you in a cabana. The place is a GREAT value at $20 for a suite w/ac, cable tv, phone, fridge and wet bar. rooms 2 and 4 have back doors entering the pool area.

If they don't have an apartemente available when you arrive, you can ask for a nightly rate for one of the cabanas, which are normally rented for a few hours at a time. The only problem is this won't start til 8:30 PM. Some of the cabanas have a jaccuzi, and/or "silla de amor" (love chair). Do I need to elaborate? They are luxuriously but tastelessly decorated and have no windows. IMHO the apartementes are MUCH nicer.

All rooms have 24/7 room service for drinks and a pretty extensive menu w/reasonable prices til about 10 or 11 at night. Food is delivered by a dumb waiter in the cabanas. In the hotel, an employee brings it to you. While the location is a bit isolated for the most part, 2 night clubs, Scape and El Principe, are close enough to walk to, as is Pappion, one of the best resteraunts in POP.

I have to say that I hope not too many people read this, as rooms will be even harder to come by. Their "no reservations" policy is a pain.

A taxi ride from the airport would be about 20 to $25. Gua gua probably about RD100.

Other options in POP would be Portofino or Lormar, both in the Long Beach area. You will pay more money for rooms that are small and shabby by comparison, but they are more centrally located.

P.S. I just remembered I had their card so I thought I'd post phone #s
970-3004
970-7082
You should probably call from the airport to see if they have a suite before making the trip. They MAY even hold one for you if you are on the way, but don't count on it.

Don't let the sign saying "cabanas touristas" fool you. Their clientele is mostly Dominican. and as far as I know, none of their employees speak English.

Last edited:

mne01

Sep 5, 2002
sweetdbt said:
More info on my "home away from home" in POP. .

Ok sweetdbt, thank you so much! I'll probably try and go there. " 2 Q's: Where do the guaguas depart from, how often and what destination should I ask for? And were those phone #s to Sensaci?n or the other places?

Thanks,

mne

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
mne01 said:
Ok sweetdbt, thank you so much! I'll probably try and go there. " 2 Q's: Where do the guaguas depart from, how often and what destination should I ask for? And were those phone #s to Sensaci?n or the other places?

Thanks,

mne

Both of the phone numbers are for the Sensacion. Because I have always rented a car or been picked up at the airport by a friend, I am not sure about whether any of the gua guas actually pick up in the airport, but I don't think they do. You'll probably need to hoof it about a half kilometer to the highway and flag one down there. You'll be going West, which is to your right as you exit the airport. I'm sure there are other members who will give you the straight scoop on this.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
If you go to the main road, you can take either a Puerto Plata-Sos?a public car with a red top (should not be more than 20 pesos) or a gua gua into Puerto Plata.

Once in Puerto Plata, you have to switch to a different gua-gua. You can do this anywhere along the road from the Playa Dorada to the first traffic circle in Puerto Plata. You will need to take the "C" gua gua (a mini-van) to get to the Costambar-Cofres? area. I don't know the exact cost, but in the city, the A, B and C gua guas charge 10 pesos. It might be a tad more since you are going past Puerto Plata.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Malibook said:
Here are a few places you can call.
http://www.puertoplataguide.com/Accommodations.html

I stayed at Mountainview once but would never do it again because the room was not very nice but mainly because they had no hot water.

Sensacion looks like a nice place but it is kind of out of the way and far from the action.

It's true that the Sensacion is removed from much of the night life, stores, and services in Puerto Plata, and I'll confess that I've always had a car when I stayed there. interestingly enough however, there are 2 bars/clubs with all the lovely Dominican companionship one would want within walking distance (or a very quick motoconcho ride). I generally have my companionship with me, and have found the place to be almost "self-contained". Days lounging and swimming at the pool. RD60 grandes , and a menu which includes everthing from a ham and cheese sandwich at RD40 to Langosta at RD350. The Lambi vinegretta is some of the best I've had!

Trust me I don't have a financial interest in the place, and I hope it doesn't get so popular i can't get a room there any more, but it is a BARGAIN!

Oh, did I mention 24/7 electricity with ac? Their planta is so good I never know when the power is out.

mne01

Sep 5, 2002
Stop!

sweetdbt said:
It's true that the Sensacion is removed from much of the night life, stores, and services in Puerto Plata, and I'll confess that I've always had a car when I stayed there. interestingly enough however, there are 2 bars/clubs with all the lovely Dominican companionship one would want within walking distance (or a very quick motoconcho ride). I generally have my companionship with me, and have found the place to be almost "self-contained". Days lounging and swimming at the pool. RD60 grandes , and a menu which includes everthing from a ham and cheese sandwich at RD40 to Langosta at RD350. The Lambi vinegretta is some of the best I've had!

Trust me I don't have a financial interest in the place, and I hope it doesn't get so popular i can't get a room there any more, but it is a BARGAIN!

Oh, did I mention 24/7 electricity with ac? Their planta is so good I never know when the power is out.

Ok, sweetdpt, cut it off now alright!? There sure as h**l won't be any rooms left when I get there if you go on like this :devious:

I'll soon log in as a guest and post a reply here saying that Sensacion is the worst dump ever seen...

No, seriously, thank you for the info, all of you. I'll go there, although the guagua option seems a little bit complicated after a long trip and with luggage and all so I might end up taking a cab anyway. How many RD should I pay btw? Around 500$?

The lack of night life is not a problem. Remember I'm heading for the Capital afterwards...

mne