Juan Dolio - fun things to do?

Nic

Jan 13, 2005
My family (myself, husband and two teenagers) are visiting the DR for the first time at the end of this month. Our main goal is relaxation, but we would like to do a couple of fun things and see some of the country.

Are there any excursions (near Juan Dolio) that anyone would recommend?

Thanks!

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
If you go to Guilia's Cafe across the street from Playa Real Resort,

there is a tour company (sorry I don't recall the name - just a touch of Alzheimer's ;) ) that would be happy to book you a tour to Catalina Island, Whale watching in Samana or a trip to Saona Island! I wouldn't recommend the "safari/jungle tours" this year due to all the rain during hurricane season but the other tours are fine (we've been to Catalina already several times this year!).
There's also JR Tours on the same street but closer to La Capella Resort that offers the same tours.
We've taken all of them and always been pleased (yes we have gone more than once when we've had visitors staying with us in Juan Dolio).
A daytime city tour to Santo Domingo to see the colonial city is also a good idea altho' this one is easy to do on your own just by catching the guagua (bus) anywhere along the highway. A nighttime tour to see the "Faro di Colon" (Columbus Lighthouse) is also pleasant and usually includes a stop at Guacara Taino (the underground disco) and sometimes a dinner at a local "hotspot" in Santo Domingo.
Hop a bus to Boca Chica during the day and visit the gorgeous beach there and browse the gift shops for those necessary souvenir purchases!
Most of all enjoy your stay and let us know about your trip when you get back home!! :glasses:

Last edited:

Nic

Jan 13, 2005
Thanks

Thanks for the great information! :)

Looks like there will be some interesting things to do in between relaxing!

I will let you know!
Nic

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Take hubby to Deli Swiss

This is just down the road at Guayacanes. Talk to MommC about it.

Great chef, utterly fabulous wine list and excellent food.

Go play some golf at Guavaberry.

Take one of those trips MommC suggested.

Visit "La Cueva de las Maravillas." The cave of the Marvels....excellent site

HB :D:D

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Right you are HB! I'd forgotten about the "cueva"!

We were waiting for friends to come down in January to go see the Cueva (we pass it each time we go to Catalina or La Romana) however that won't happen now ........he was one of the friends we "lost" over the holidays!
I guess we'll have to make a solo trip to see it so I can report on it to all who ask!
Any of the Italian restaurants in Juan Dolio are good but Deli Swiss has that fabulous wine/scotch cellar that's unbeatable.
As well there is the "new" restaurant/beach bar that Robert repoted on in another thread. I think the teenagers would enjoy it also.
If I knew where Nic & family were saying I could give better directions!

Nic

Jan 13, 2005
Thanks!

Wow such great ideas. Thank you. Great food is one of our passions, so we will be sure to check these out! :) I am sure that my hubby would like the golf too!

We are staying at Playa Real for most of the time, and Embassay Suites for a couple of days.

Do you have a price range for some of the excursions? Also, do they take credit cards or should I bring extra cash for these things?

9 more days!! :laugh:

Nic