Where to buy school supplies in Puerto Plata?

Status
Not open for further replies.

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
Can anyone tell me where I can buy school supplies in Puerto Plata to donate to one of the local schools?

Unfortunately, despite sending a number of letters to the airline, I have been unable to get any extra baggage allowance.

Thanks
Daydream.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
daydream said:
Can anyone tell me where I can buy school supplies in Puerto Plata to donate to one of the local schools?

Unfortunately, despite sending a number of letters to the airline, I have been unable to get any extra baggage allowance.

Thanks
Daydream.

I don't have an answer to your question, but I do have an alternative strategy (particularly if you are a female). Pack the school supplies (which will no doubt be cheaper for better quality at home), your personal items, and a bare minimum of clothing. Then treat yourself to a vacation wardrobe at Casa Nelson and/or Tienda Jimenez. Prices are very reasonable, although the women's clothes tend to be a bit sexy for some foreigner's tastes. Just a thought.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
You can get some school supplies at Casa Nelson. Otherwise, go to Ripoll on Calle Doce de Julio before the post office. Their prices are more reasonable than Cafemba (corner of Separaci?n and J.F. Kennedy). There is a third store too, but I am pulling a blank on its name. It is across from a small park in front of the large Evangelical church located between J.F. Kennedy and Doce de Juliio. Also, check out Abraxas on J.F. Kennedy just down the street from the Evangelical Church.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
sweetdbt said:
I don't have an answer to your question, but I do have an alternative strategy (particularly if you are a female). Pack the school supplies (which will no doubt be cheaper for better quality at home), your personal items, and a bare minimum of clothing. Then treat yourself to a vacation wardrobe at Casa Nelson and/or Tienda Jimenez. Prices are very reasonable, although the women's clothes tend to be a bit sexy for some foreigner's tastes. Just a thought.

sweetdbt,
I buy my clothes at Jimenez & being an old age pensioner don't consider myself 'sexy'............well not compared to a 20 year old Dominican woman! I suppose to some extent it depends on size........if you are not slim some of these clothes will be very revealing indeed! Prices are very good at Jiminez, even better when they have the outside rack 'on offer'.

And I would second La Profe's choice of school supply stores, but also add in that supermarkets such as Silverio Messon do a big number on exercise books for writing in, just before the school term starts.

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
daydream said:
Can anyone tell me where I can buy <a style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=21&k=school%20supplies" onmouseover="window.status='school supplies'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">school supplies</a> in Puerto Plata to donate to one of the local schools?

Thanks
Daydream.

Airlines don't have time to write back. Have you tried calling and speaking to customer service supervisors with the airline? You can also try to speak to reps in the airport. Or put all the supplies in a pack bag and take it as an x-tra carry-on bag. I usually pay $5 per kilo of excess baggage. It would be much cheaper to pay for the xtra bagage then buy the supplies in the DR. Good luck with it.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Lambada said:
sweetdbt,
I buy my clothes at Jimenez & being an old age pensioner don't consider myself 'sexy'............well not compared to a 20 year old Dominican woman! I suppose to some extent it depends on size........if you are not slim some of these clothes will be very revealing indeed! Prices are very good at Jiminez, even better when they have the outside rack 'on offer'.

And I would second La Profe's choice of school supply stores, but also add in that supermarkets such as Silverio Messon do a big number on exercise books for writing in, just before the school term starts.

Lambada,

When I've gone to Jimenez, me and my wallet were pretty much along for the ride, and the selections tended toward tight jeans, short skirts and revealing tops. I think I remember a bikini or 2 as well. ;) Yes, I do remember (sigh). Good to know they have some more conservative clothes as well. The men's clothing is also reasonably priced.

I didn't mean to get this thread off topic, so I'll shut up now. Unless the OP is intrigued by the idea of a little vacation shopping spree, it would probably be more practical to buy the supplies in PP. Either way, they would be supporting the economy as well as helping the students.

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
Thank you...

Thank you all for your replies.

I will give the airline a call in the morning when they open......I am happy to pay extra to take another piece of hand luggage. I will try and bring as much as I can but I will probably also check out some of the stores in PP that you mentioned.

Is there a bus I can catch from outside the Playa Dorada complex? If so, can anyone tell me the number of it?

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
If you need to go into POP to buy school supplies you just call me and I will gladly take you there myself. Don't worry about the bus!!!

That offer is open to anyone! PM me and I'll give you contact info!!!

Snowbird

Jan 17, 2002
A Generous Offer

planner, that is a generous offer you made to daydream. Speaking of that daydream, if you would like to contact Ramon Ripoll at Riu Merengue, or Mario Mattana at Fun Rouyale, either of these gentlemen will be more that happy to assist you with your donation. These great guys are part of Fundacion Patria, an organization started by hotel managers to help improve the schools in the Puerto Plata area. If you would like more information about FP, please locate the thread: Help The Schools Via Fundacion Patria. You may have to go to page 2,3,or 4 in this thread. When you return from your trip, please post your experiences in that same thread.

Thanks for all you want to do!

Enjoy your Dominican experience :)

SB

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Thanks for info....

Hey Snowbird, thanks for that info. I wasn't aware of it. I know Mario fiarly well but didn't know about this project.

I'll go read the thread too.

The other offer still stands as well.. Glad to help if I can.

Darlene

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
planner said:
If you need to go into POP to buy school supplies you just call me and I will gladly take you there myself. Don't worry about the bus!!!

That offer is open to anyone! PM me and I'll give you contact info!!!

Many thanks for your kind offer but I managed to take an extra piece of hand luggage at no extra charge in the end as I got to the airport early. I stayed at the Fun Royale but didn't have the pleasure of meeting Mario himself as he was away during my stay. I was assured he will be given the school supplies on his return.

Arrived home this morning and I would turn right around and go back if I had the chance.......rain or no rain!!

Thanks again
Daydream.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
daydream said:
Many thanks for your kind offer but I managed to take an extra piece of hand luggage at no extra charge in the end as I got to the airport early. I stayed at the Fun Royale but didn't have the pleasure of meeting Mario himself as he was away during my stay. I was assured he will be given the school supplies on his return.

Arrived home this morning and I would turn right around and go back if I had the chance.......rain or no rain!!

Thanks again
Daydream.

So it was YOU that kept the rain here all last week was it daydream?? The sun came out this morning & temperatures started climbing again!!

Come back with pleasure though. f you want to actually visit a school next time you are down, I'll gladly take you along to the one near Playa Dorada called Intergracion Juvenil - a school for orphaned & deprived children. The senior administrator there is ALWAYS happy to receive guests bearing presents of notebooks & pencils!!

One poster on this site is presently grabbing all the U$D he can beg, steal or demand out of peoples pockets or company checkbooks, to buy a few used & refurbished computers for the students to get used to. Anyone requiring information on this could PM or e-mail me & I will forward his e-mail address to you so you can write directly to him!! ~ Grahame.

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
BushBaby said:
So it was YOU that kept the rain here all last week was it daydream?? The sun came out this morning & temperatures started climbing again!!

Come back with pleasure though. f you want to actually visit a school next time you are down, I'll gladly take you along to the one near Playa Dorada called Intergracion Juvenil - a school for orphaned & deprived children. The senior administrator there is ALWAYS happy to receive guests bearing presents of notebooks & pencils!!

One poster on this site is presently grabbing all the U$D he can beg, steal or demand out of peoples pockets or company checkbooks, to buy a few used & refurbished computers for the students to get used to. Anyone requiring information on this could PM or e-mail me & I will forward his e-mail address to you so you can write directly to him!! ~ Grahame.

Hi Grahame

It is looking likely that I will be back again for a week in April and would love to visit the school you mentioned.

I will PM you if I do come and we can arrange a time. Lets hope the sun makes an appearance this time!

Thank you for the offer
Daydream

Status
Not open for further replies.