Help: Traveling to DR without a US passport

axemt

Jul 29, 2003
A friend of mine (US citizen, not Dominican) is traveling to DR (SD) but he won't get his passport in time (long story.)

We already called the US embassy on DR and they told us that he can enter/exit the country with just his birth certificated and a photo id (driver's license preferably.) They "strongly" recommend that you have a passport but in any case those documents would suffice.

They also advised him to call the Airline (AA) and check with them to see if they have had any trouble with US passengers traveling like that (their experience lately.)

I'd tell my friend to cancel his trip because we know how things work here and there is always some trouble that we don't know about and I don't want him to go through a bad experience.

I'd like to know if any one can comment/help on this please?

Greatly appreciate it.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Getting in and out of the DR isn't the problem, it's coming back into the US. You have to prove that you are a US citizen so make sure you have the birth certificate and any other Photo ID
How long does it take to get a passport in the US?

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
axemt said:
A friend of mine (US citizen, not Dominican) is traveling to DR (SD) but he won't get his passport in time (long story.)

We already called the US embassy on DR and they told us that he can enter/exit the country with just his birth certificated and a photo id (driver's license preferably.) They "strongly" recommend that you have a passport but in any case those documents would suffice.

They also advised him to call the Airline (AA) and check with them to see if they have had any trouble with US passengers traveling like that (their experience lately.)

I'd tell my friend to cancel his trip because we know how things work here and there is always some trouble that we don't know about and I don't want him to go through a bad experience.

I'd like to know if any one can comment/help on this please?

Greatly appreciate it.

I don't know if this will help...I'm a dominican born naturalized American citizen;I flew in this Tuesday with my naturalization document and an EXPIRED passport. They did not ask for the passport nor any other type of identification nor were my bags checked. Tell your friend good luck, it's worth the trip. Carlos.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Tell your friend not to worry. We have had messages like this from others traveling without a passport and not one has written after the trip to report any problems in either the DR or the US.

SafireDream

Jul 5, 2004
Don't worry!!!!

A driver's license or picture ID along with a certified copy of your birth certificate is sufficient. You will just need to pay the $10 fee for entering the country upon arrival in the DR. You should have no problems. Half of the time no one in the DR even requests to look at the documents.

axemt

Jul 29, 2003
Thanks for your replies.

I just called AA and they told me that they won't let any passenger (US citizen or whatever) board a plane without a passport. They don't take any other documents. They changed the policy after receiving many fines in the past because of improper paperwork.

Oh well...

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Wow I'll have to save this thread for future reference.

Thanks for letting us know

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Anna Coniglio said:
Wow I'll have to save this thread for future reference.

Thanks for letting us know

Sounds like BS frankly, since they know full well they will admit the passenger on the flight TO the DR. You can get a passport in the US in 2 days by paying extra.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
i believe

you can get your passport on the same day...providing you have an airline ticket. it MIGHT be next day....but you can get it really fast

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
What if my passport just expired as did my wifes and one of my two children?Will I have a problem bringing my expired passports and their birth certificates? My wife and I are both American citizens and have drivers licenses.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
ricktoronto said:
Sounds like BS frankly, since they know full well they will admit the passenger on the flight TO the DR. You can get a passport in the US in 2 days by paying extra.
You can --- IF you can get an appointment. These expedited requests are only done by appointment these days, and appointments are not always available in your jurisdiction. I know of one NYC-based person who this past July needed to get her passport in a hurry (2 days) when she discovered the old one missing, but found that no appointments were available in the NYC area. She had to travel to Philadelphia in order to get an appointment....

And Rick, as someone else has already stated, the problem is not necessarily getting onto the flight to the DR (although post-9/11 security measures have made this difficult too) and admitted into the DR, but rather being re-admitted to the US afterward. One time AA was being a stickler about documentation with my wife (Dominican born, but naturalized US citizen since 1981), and explained that the reason was that the US forces AA to swallow the costs of returning a non-admitted person to the DR, plus a fine.

axemt

Jul 29, 2003
What if my passport just expired as did my wifes and one of my two children?Will I have a problem bringing my expired passports and their birth certificates? My wife and I are both American citizens and have drivers licenses.
AA doesn't have a problem if your passport has expired. They just want to see a passport :nervous:

Where did axemt get their info?
I called the AA offices in SD.

American Airlines follows the guidelines of the US State Department. so that being the case Birth Certificate and Photo i.d are all that is required to the DR. To double check I phoned and this is what they told me over the phone also.
Hlywud, where/who did you call!?
I bet those pesky AA people in SD just want to play it hard.

Tracy

Jan 23, 2004
I just called American Airlines international desk and asked what was needed.

You now need your original birth certificate, certified copies with the raised seal are no longer accepted. Plus a government issued photo I.D. If the last name is different from the birth certificate you need a copy of your marriage certificate to show the name change.

Tracy

axemt

Jul 29, 2003
Update

My friend came and went without any trouble at all only using his Birth Cert. and Driver's License.

Thanks for all your messages :D

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Thanks for letting us know, Axemt, that all the worry was unnecessary.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Last summer, I waited until the last minute to get my passport and I did quite a bit of travelling. I kept calling the passport agency for appointments into the night and the morning-when people cancel appointments then slots open up. I went with my documentation, paid the fee to have it expedited and the next day I went to pick up the passport. The day after that I was in sunny Sosua.
So it is possible to get an appointmet for the day you need, just keep calling early in the morning (I would say keep trying between 4-7 am).
You may not want to rely on luck with your documents. Yes, you can travel with a birth cert. and a driver's license, but a passport will be more important. This way you do not have to hassle with anyone who may want to bust your chops at the airport when coming back.
They will let you go to the DR, but coming back will potentially be a problem. If someone feels like it they can keep you from getting on that plane until your documents have been "verified". Why play with fire?
And for a more outrageous fee, there are places in New York City where you can get your passport that same day. Just go to the Yellow Pages under "Passport Services".

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
well gee...this thread has been going on for more than a week. And i CLEARLY remember getting my passport within a day or so when i had documentation (airline ticket) that i was flying out soon! If your reservation is confimed and you have a copy of your ticket...and if you are not a do not fly list....you SHOULD be able to get yourself a pp with no problem....stop asking here and check out their web site!!!! I know i got mine in a matter of hours