Canadian Tour Operator Suspends Travel to Riu Complex Puerto Plata

Status
Not open for further replies.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Apparently Canadian Tour Operator, Sunquest Vacations, has suspended travel to the Riu complex in Puerto Plata.

While I did not hear the reports personnally I have seen it reported from two different sources and on that basis I am posting this. It was reported on the news by Global Television.

This is as a result of the increase in unexplained tourist illnesses at this complex.

At this point in time I have no further details and I will, of course, post more as it becomes known.

Gregg

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
FireGuy said:
Apparently Canadian Tour Operator, Sunquest Vacations, has suspended travel to the Riu complex in Puerto Plata.

While I did not hear the reports personnally I have seen it reported from two different sources and on that basis I am posting this. It was reported on the news by Global Television.

This is as a result of the increase in unexplained tourist illnesses at this complex.

At this point in time I have no further details and I will, of course, post more as it becomes known.

Gregg

Wow this is strange, why ilness in this resort complex? Why not other resort areas? Thanks fireguy for the update.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Thanks for the update Gregg,
I am due over to Riu Mambu on Monday to pick a guest (Canadian) coming in on the Sunday, if you need me to ask any questions or look at other aspects of holidaing there, just yell before Sunday night & I'll see what I can find out. I suppose the guest might be roomed somewhere else if she was due to come with Sunquest & if this is the case I will report back here too!! ~ Grahame.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Grahame,

Please just keep your eyes and ears open as only you can and let us know if anything seems unusual.

This is very early and I would not normally have posted this information unless I had confirmation BUT since I saw the almost identical information from two different sources and we are at the start of a weekend, I didn't want to wait until Monday for confirmation.

It is posted with a good faith belief in it's truthfulness and I will update it as information comes available.

Gregg

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
On CTV in Toronto

Last night CTV News (6:00 p.m.) aired a story that said there were reports that several people had become sick while staying at RIU Mambo in POP. It interviewed some recent hotel guests (now home in Toronto) as well as a representative of Sunquest Vacations here in Toronto. The Sunquest representative said that they have only had a few reports that people have become sick and they have only instated this warning until they have more information on the sicknesses reported. The rep went on to say that it was only a precautionary measure as it is normal on any resort for a few people out of a few thousand to become ill. My impression from the segment aired is that a few guests have complained a little louder than most that they became ill and are ruffling some feathers here in Toronto with Sunquest and that is why this was even heard about (it's called covering your *ss for legal action)!

People, I think this is getting blown way out of proportion. There have been several stories over the past years about tourists becoming sick at resorts and aboard cruise ships and the like BUT in such a case as this, it is normal for some people to become ill while on vacation. While hotels do their best to keep to the strictest of regimens to insure their guests are safe from illness, people forget that they are in a foreign country, eating foreign food, drinking foreign drinks and water, while soaking in the tropical sun all day. While the food, drinks and water may be safe they are still DIFFERENT than our bodies are used to and sometimes this does result in some stomach problems unfortunately. Also, many guests forget that if they lay in the sun all day and drink alcohol to their hearts content ... YES they will eventually suffer the consequences.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
On Debbie's Dominican Travel

we have had numerous reports from seasoned travellers who know the pitfalls of overindulgence. What is ocurring is more than the normal traveller's illnesses, both in intensity of symptoms and length of symptoms. One lady (of which I am personally aware) has been diagnosed by her physician in Canada with Norwalk Virus.

Sunquest is permitting travellers over the next two weeks to change hotels without penalty. It is a similar response to the one they made to the malaria situation in Punta Cana.

Gregg

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Some additional info

Apparently this is flu like as well as linked to overconsumption.

Testing has indicated it is NOT food poisoning but rather a flu like virus that was brought in with some guests and then shared! People are getting really ill about the 3rd day into their stay and for some they are getting seriously ill. The Dr there is apparently doing a great job.

Add this to the rotten weather we have had where there was not much else to do but drink and eat and you have a recipe for illness and complaints.

If I hear anything else I will let you know.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
planner said:
Testing has indicated it is NOT food poisoning but rather a flu like virus that was brought in with some guests and then shared! People are getting really ill about the 3rd day into their stay and for some they are getting seriously ill. The Dr there is apparently doing a great job.
I agree that the concensus of ill tourists is that it is not a food or cleanliness issue. Even ill guests rave about the food quality an the job that the cleaning staff do.

Except for the expected disgruntled few, the general opinion is that the doctor is performing exceptionally well in a difficult situation. One thing of note is that they have apparently stopped charging for medical treatment, a sure sign that they think it is a different situation.

Fiesta Mama said:
My impression from the segment aired is that a few guests have complained a little louder than most that they became ill and are ruffling some feathers here in Toronto with Sunquest and that is why this was even heard about (it's called covering your *ss for legal action)!
Then the Tour Operator has been successful with you because many tourists are bitter that the only a$$ being covered here is Sunquest's - not their client's.

Gregg

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
The LATEST I have heard (from someone coming down tomorrow TO the Rius) is that guests booked into Riu Bachata have the option of changing to Coral Merien at Puerto Plata. Those at Riu Bachata are NOT being given that option - my friend had to INSIST because she feels that what goes on at Bachata can quickly get into Mambu as guests can move around the differeing Rius without any hinderance!!

Whilst I accept that illnesses in foreign lands whilst people are on their holidays often get egaggerated for insurance claims or rebate puropsses, this threat at Riu Bachata is getting a "Feel" to it that indicates something more serious than just "Flu like symptons & over indulgence". Fast action by the hotels concerned, tourism ministry & local hotel associations would be advisable to create an aura of calm & confidence - it would be hoped that the Tour Companies will follow suit & not try to "Gloss Over" any problems once those problems are 'seriously suspected' or better still, confirmed.

It looks as though my trip to Riu Mambu on Manday is now off & I will be heading to Gran Flamenco to see her rather than the Maimon area!! ~ Grahame.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Grahame,

What the public needs is an identification of the pathogen present at the RIU. Until that is performed there can be nothing done to quite the alarm of the tourist. The unknown is our worst adversary.

Regards,
PJT

Status
Not open for further replies.