Out of boredom, I dug this up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
This was a post from 1999 by JC (a blast from the past!) It has to do with Dominicanismos - if anyone is trying to learn Spanish, here's some catch phrases. I thought this was great.

JC
Guest Posts: n/a

Spanish w/ local color (dominicanismos) The Sequel

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now we are going to focus on complete phrases that portrait the popular wisdom prevalent in all segments of society. This time with translation (no literal).

Entre Lucas y Juan Mej?a.- Between a rock and a hard place

M?s caliente que una vieja met?a en fiesta.- Hotter than an old woman on a party mood.

Amarrar los perros con longanizas.- To be very naive and give away opportunities to the enemies

Como la gatica de Mar?a Ramos que tira la piedra y esconde la mano.- Like somebody that appear very innocent but operates behind the scenes

Lo agarraron asando batatas.- He got caugh with his pants down

Darle soga a alguien.- Give some freedom to somebody with intention of curtail it later

Ni con Dios ni con el Diablo.- Neither with God or Evil

Conocer al cogo sentao.- To be so experienced in life as to know people intentions even when they don't give out any clues.

Acostarse con las gallinas.- To go to bed at the same time that the hens (it refers to the habit of many peasants of going to bed early in the evening since they have to wake up very early in the morning to labor in the fields)

Curarse en salud.- To practive prevention before a problem sets in

Hacerse el chivo loco.- To play dumb or unaware of any situation. To be irresponsible.

Como la jonda del diablo. To run with desperation

Abrir gas.- To run away

Por la bolita del mundo y el potecito de sangre.- When kids want to emphasize that they are telling the thruth they say this oath.

ponerse la cosa aj? Caribe.- When a situation turn uggly or dramatic

Poner los cachitos, pegar cuernos.- To stray in marriage

Saber m?s por viejo que por diablo.- To express that old age give the greatest wisdom of all.

Ir por la sombrita.- To walk below the shade of the trees

El coraz?n de la auyama s?lo lo sabe el cuchillo.- Only a person that is in the middle of a problem or issue can feel its intensity.

Gallina vieja da buen caldo.- Used commomly by mature women to express that their experience add to their sex appeal.

Armarse la de San Quint?n.- To start big trouble, confusion.

Estamos juntos pero no reburujao.- we may bew together as a group but it doesn?t means that we all are alike.

Desgaritarse como el diablo prendio en candela .- To run away with dramatic speed.

Mandarse a juyir.- To star running to escape from something or somebody

Desga?itarse el galillo.- To yell until the person almost lose his/her voice

Caerle a la conga (playing the drums).- To jump on somebody with the intention of beating him up.

Barriga llena, coraz?n contento.- When somebody has eaten well, his heart sing with happiness.

...And this one from my glotonous cousins in the campo:

Para comida perd?a mejor barriga romp?a.- Is better to eat until the stomach explodes than to trash away food.

If anybody disagrees with the translations, is fine with me. I just did this on the fly. Got it?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Esa barriga tuya !! Tthanks

That was a good walk through Dominican idioms...
Don't sweat the translations, they were close enough...

D?me con quien andas, y te dir? quien eres. = Tell me who you walk with and I'll tell you who you are = Birds of a feather.....

Arruga'o como una pasa y 'jala'o' como un timbre de guagua = very old and wrinlked face. Wrinkled like a prune and pulled (stretched) like the bell cord of a bus.

Thanks Trina...don't get too "antoj?' "

HB :D:D

I forgot one of my favorites: "Por mucho que te quiero culito, besarte no puedo = Sorry, dude, no can do! (Literally: "No matter how much I love you, you little *sshole, I can't kiss you!")

Last edited:

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
this is too good

I love this. Insight into the things I keep hearing but in direct translation - all is lost..

Thanks to both of you...

mariel

Dominisueca
Apr 7, 2004
thanks trina for the laugh :)

i have a question, tho. how could i explain what "a diestra y siniesta" (or "a dos manos", i believe they mean the same?) mean? mucho, en gran cantidad?

(as in, for ex., estaba cogiendo mangos a diestra y siniestra [o a dos manos].)

speaking of asando batatas, some years ago i read this humor magazine DDT (anyone remembers that?) a "classier" explanation of some dominicanismos, and this is what they came up with: "lo encontraron en la cocci?n directa del tub?rculo convolvul?ceo".

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I think there is a slight difference:

"a diestra y siniestra" has a more violent nuance to it. Like in "Repartiendo golpes..." or "Tirando piedras...." or "Tumbando mangos ......." It implies a series of blows without much direction: "El viento tir? las sillas ......."

"A dos manos" carries a connotation of taking an awful lot of something.
"Comi? bizcocho ......." "Los ladrones cogieron las joyas ........." ?l recogi? mangos ........" "Hip?lito cogi? cuartos ........."

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
I loved this, too; to reiterate, though, and give credit where it's due, it was originally posted by JC in 1999 (I don't believe I've seen posts by him in a long time).

Thanks HB for the additions! Those are a couple of my favorites, too!

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
mariel said:
speaking of asando batatas, some years ago i read this humor magazine DDT (anyone remembers that?) a "classier" explanation of some dominicanismos, and this is what they came up with: "lo encontraron en la cocci?n directa del tub?rculo convolvul?ceo".
I had the whole collection of this magazine. I threw it away a few months back, along with other magazine collections because I just don't have more space for books. It was a good magazine, I loved it.

"Lo encontraron en la cocci?n directa del tub?rculo convolvul?ceo" = Lo agarraron asando batatas.

Other "dressed up expressions":

Lo borr? con excremento de felino dom?stico = Lo borr? con mierda de gato

Le coloc? los apendices vacunos prefrontales = Le peg? cuernos

Atar los canes con embutido aut?ctono = Amarrar los perros con longanizas

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
trina said:
This was a post from 1999 by JC (a blast from the past!) It has to do with Dominicanismos - if anyone is trying to learn Spanish, here's some catch phrases. I thought this was great.

JC
Guest Posts: n/a

Spanish w/ local color (dominicanismos) The Sequel

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now we are going to focus on complete phrases that portrait the popular wisdom prevalent in all segments of society. This time with translation (no literal).

Entre Lucas y Juan Mej?a.- Between a rock and a hard place

M?s caliente que una vieja met?a en fiesta.- Hotter than an old woman on a party mood.

Amarrar los perros con longanizas.- To be very naive and give away opportunities to the enemies

Como la gatica de Mar?a Ramos que tira la piedra y esconde la mano.- Like somebody that appear very innocent but operates behind the scenes

Lo agarraron asando batatas.- He got caugh with his pants down

Darle soga a alguien.- Give some freedom to somebody with intention of curtail it later

Ni con Dios ni con el Diablo.- Neither with God or Evil

Conocer al cogo sentao.- To be so experienced in life as to know people intentions even when they don't give out any clues.

Acostarse con las gallinas.- To go to bed at the same time that the hens (it refers to the habit of many peasants of going to bed early in the evening since they have to wake up very early in the morning to labor in the fields)

Curarse en salud.- To practive prevention before a problem sets in

Hacerse el chivo loco.- To play dumb or unaware of any situation. To be irresponsible.

Como la jonda del diablo. To run with desperation

Abrir gas.- To run away

Por la bolita del mundo y el potecito de sangre.- When kids want to emphasize that they are telling the thruth they say this oath.

ponerse la cosa aj? Caribe.- When a situation turn uggly or dramatic

Poner los cachitos, pegar cuernos.- To stray in marriage

Saber m?s por viejo que por diablo.- To express that old age give the greatest wisdom of all.

El coraz?n de la auyama s?lo lo sabe el cuchillo.- Only a person that is in the middle of a problem or issue can feel its intensity.

Gallina vieja da buen caldo.- Used commomly by mature women to express that their experience add to their sex appeal.

Estamos juntos pero no reburujao.- we may bew together as a group but it doesn?t means that we all are alike.

Desgaritarse como el diablo prendio en candela .- To run away with dramatic speed.

Mandarse a juyir.- To star running to escape from something or somebody

Desga?itarse el galillo.- To yell until the person almost lose his/her voice

Caerle a la conga (playing the drums).- To jump on somebody with the intention of beating him up.

Barriga llena, coraz?n contento.- When somebody has eaten well, his heart sing with happiness.

...And this one from my glotonous cousins in the campo:

Para comida perd?a mejor barriga romp?a.- Is better to eat until the stomach explodes than to trash away food.

If anybody disagrees with the translations, is fine with me. I just did this on the fly. Got it?

I thought that this one meant to be safe and cautious.

I think that they took this one from the movie "Blood In Blood Out" about the
San Quentin prison in California with Benjamin Bratt.

You also forgot this one...

Cuando el rio suena es porque piedra trae....when you hear the sound of the river is because it is dragging stones...meaning that you smell trouble arousing from a story or a secret not completely told.

Le sacaron los trapitos al sol....his/her rags were laid out in the sun.
meaning that his secrets/lies/personnal matters etc were all exposed in the open.

Cucaracha busca tu seto.....Cackroach go to your wall.
you say that to someone that tries to forget where they come from.
for example many of us dominicans that come to the US and then go back to the island and our families make us crabs soup and complain that there is a big spider in their soup.

Los Muchachos hablan cuado la gallina mean.......Kids speak when the chicken pees. meaning that kids do not open their mouth and must have the atmost respect when adults have a conversation.

Las palmas se dan bien alta pero los puercos comen de ellas.....the palm seeds are very high but the pigs feed themselves from them.....when something is not impossible.

estar como perros y gatos...like cats and dogs...when two can't get along.

como para levantar muertos....to wake up the dead...when the food is so good that it causes the the dead to wake up.

bugarron....somebody that likes to sexually abuse animals..word mostly used for offending somebody.

Last edited:

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Pib said:
Doubtfully. It is much older than that.

You are right about maybe not being from the movie but i know that this prison is very old and do yuo know how many revolts they had through out the years?....i am very sure that this saying must have something to do with San Quentin and most of their riots.

And that is the way the cookie crumbles.

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
bugarron....somebody that likes to sexually abuse animals..word mostly used for offending somebody."

That's strange. It's the first time I see that definition. IN other countries such as Spain, Cuba etc. that's what they call the "active" partner in male homosexual relations. It is also used for offending someone, just like calling someone "maricon".

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
juancarlos said:
bugarron....somebody that likes to sexually abuse animals..word mostly used for offending somebody."

That's strange. It's the first time I see that definition. IN other countries such as Spain, Cuba etc. that's what they call the "active" partner in male homosexual relations. It is also used for offending someone, just like calling someone "maricon".
Yes..you are right...In Dominican Republic too...But for homos the most comon used word in DR is Maricon.....Now if you are called a "bugarron" they are calling you an animals f****r. coje chiva, perra, caballo etc.

May 31, 2005
Hillbilly said:
That was a good walk through Dominican idioms...
Don't sweat the translations, they were close enough...

D?me con quien andas, y te dir? quien eres. = Tell me who you walk with and I'll tell you who you are = Birds of a feather.....

Arruga'o como una pasa y 'jala'o' como un timbre de guagua = very old and wrinlked face. Wrinkled like a prune and pulled (stretched) like the bell cord of a bus.

Thanks Trina...don't get too "antoj?' "

I forgot one of my favorites: "Por mucho que te quiero culito, besarte no puedo = Sorry, dude, no can do! (Literally: "No matter how much I love you, you little *sshole, I can't kiss you!")

And also ma jalao que una pipa de indio.

Status
Not open for further replies.