From Santo Domingo to Sosua without Caribe/Metro tours?

AndySpb

Jun 10, 2004
First, please dont offer me to stay the night in the capital and to go by the morning...
Second, don't offer me rent a car or taxi....
3rd, if you cannot answer to my question please dont answer nada.

Our flight arrives in SDQ about 6pm and we cannot go by the bus to the Sosua the same day.
So, could anybody tell me the way to go to Sosua that time. I'm thinking that that's possible by 2..3 guagua...

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
AndySpb said:
First, please dont offer me to stay the night in the capital and to go by the morning...

Our flight arrives in SDQ about 6pm and we cannot go by the bus to the Sosua the same day.
So, could anybody tell me the way to go to Sosua that time. I'm thinking that that's possible by 2..3 guagua...

My, aren't we snippy!?

Oooops, I responded without answering your question. Will something terrible happen to me? I suspect someone here will try to help you out despite the attitude. I'm not positive, but I don't believe gua guas run at night either, and if they did, I certainly wouldn't ride in them. Scary enough during the day.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
YOu do have an attitude, might want to reconsider your tone.

To answer your question: I dont think that is possible. Yes there are gua guas. But, you would most likely have to take many of them, if they are running and if you can continuously connect to the next ones.

I know here in Puerto plata, they run their routes. The route is designed around traffic needs. I don't remember seeing them all the way from here to Santo Domingo. That is what Metro and Caribe do.

Is it possible to do it by gua gua. Probably no. I think it would be very iffy at best and most likely dangerous.

Good luck to you.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I live here and would not travel from SD to Sosua at night - in my own car driving myself. Have you seen the roads lately? But then, I'm not supposed to tell you that.

So, take three guaguas as you'll only fall into 5 holes. Remember to drink a lot of presidente, it will make the inevitable plunge off one or other mountain easier. Remember to wear good quality sunglasses to keep the glare from other vehicles with 6 pairs of strategically placed highbeams out of your eyes. It would be good if it rains during the journey, then you won't see the potholes big enough to swallow a VW. Do take the caretera touristica. (and please, don't take me seriously here!)

If you absolutely have to do this, be intelligent as well and rent a car plus a local driver who drives the roads frequently.

Last edited:

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
I think you're trying to say you want to get to Sosua the low-budget-way overnight.
OK, if you have done this before in 3rd world countries, if you're willing to rough it dominican style, and you can make yourself understandable in Spanish, I think there are possibilities with smaller guaguas. If you are just a gringo tourist, listen to the wise words of people living in the DR and don't try it.
Let's see: Try to get information on TRANSPORTE DEL CIBAO, they go all the way from Santo Domingo to Sosua Charamicos. There is a Cibao guagua leaving Sosua at around 3.30am so maybe the one from the capital arrives around 3am, just guessing here, I have no idea about their timetable. There is also TRANSPORTE ESPINAL (tel. 689-9201) that goes from the capital to Puerto Plata I believe. These guaguas probably leave from somewhere around Parque Enriquillo/Av.Duarte but better ask you taxi driver at the airport.
Good luck,
Bartolomeo

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Let me see if I'm psychic:cross-eye

1) You scheduled a flight into SDQ at 6PM because the airfare was cheaper, "assuming" ;) you could get a bus to Sosua the same day.

2) You've prepaid for your room in Sosua.

3) You're on a tight budget, and can't or won't pay for a taxi. You don't want to rent a car for cost/and or safety reasons, and understandably don't want to pay for a second hotel room in SD.

Unless someone here can bail you out with a creative solution, you need to look at the realistic options. If it's that important for you to be in Sosua that night, you'll need to pay the price for the transportation that is available (and take the risk as well). You'll arrive LATE. Or...... you can look into your options for hotels in SD, have time for a little nighttime exploration in the capital, get some sleep and take the early bus to Sosua. The latter would be a bit less expensive and a lot less stressful.

I've heard the Hotel Metur is a low-cost option in SD.

I really am trying to help here.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Espinal has a bus that leaves

Duarte and Paris at 8:30 p.m.

I would think that from Santiago you could find smaller buses doing the late runs. Say at the traffic circle heading out the city.

I will check Transporte del Cibao.

HB :(

Transporte del Cibao is a bust. Their last bus leaves at 3:30 for POP.

So, take a taxi to "Duarte con Par?s" get a Transporte Espinal bus to Santiago and then some other transporte to POP. It will get yu there, eventually.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
AndySpb said:

Hillbilly has given you a way to get to Santiago. Getting from there to Puerto Plata will be a problem since there is not much reason for public transport to run all night. Between Puerto Plata and Sosua public cars run all night because of the different schedules of the resort workers.

As a fall back, why not consider a cheap hotel in Santiago for the night? If that is an option you are willing to consider, we can make some suggestions.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Ken said:
Hillbilly has given you a way to get to Santiago. Getting from there to Puerto Plata will be a problem since there is not much reason for public transport to run all night. Between Puerto Plata and Sosua public cars run all night because of the different schedules of the resort workers.

As a fall back, why not consider a cheap hotel in Santiago for the night? If that is an option you are willing to consider, we can make some suggestions.

Andy,

Keep in mind that although your arrival time at SDQ is 6PM, you need to clear customs and get your bags (unless you're traveling really light). Then you need to get a cab to SD from the airport. If your flight is on time, you can probably catch that 8:30 bus to Santiago, but your situation there will be little different than it would be in SD, except it will be later at night. If there is a late night gua gua from Santiago (that's a big IF), it will no doubt be to Puerto Plata, not Sosua. You would then need to connect to another from POP to Sosua, which shouldn't be a problem. I'd guess your ETA in Sosua at 2 or 3 AM.

Here's what I'm planning for my next trip. Since I want to end up in POP, but airfares are almost US300 cheaper into SDQ right now, I'm getting an inexpensive room at a hotel in Boca Chica which offers free airport pickup. I'll spend the night there and then take a taxi or gua gua to SD the next morning to catch the bus to POP. Depending on how early I get up that morning, I'll be in POP late morning or early afternoon. Getting a hotel in SD would be easier, but I haven't been to BC yet, and want to check it out.

Last edited:

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
i think andy has got the best idea. IF you are flying into SDQ...boca chica is about 15 minutes away. IF you can arrange for airport transport to the hotel (el candil does this...not sure who else)....then you are only paying about 45 for the night. Get up first thing in the morning (pack an alarm clock)...and then catch a guagua into SD and travel up north from there.

Am i wrong...but i thought the guaguas stopped running around sunset?

I myself would like to find a good way to travel from santo domingo to boca chica late at night (like around 2-3 am). I would like to check out some of the night life and clubs....but am uneasy about just grabbing any old taxi.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Hillbilly said:
Very wise post, amigo.

HB

Muchas gracias amigo. Coming from a man with your reputation for wisdom, that means a lot!

I think it would be great if we could "go the extra mile" for Andyspb (not that uncommon here on DR1) and come up with a definative answer to the one remaining question. Is there a practical and inexpensive way to get from Santiago to Puerto Plata after that bus arrives from SD at about 11:00 PM? Then he'll know if what he is asking for is possible and have all the options laid out for him. Anybody know for sure?

Andy,

jrzyguy gave a good BC option. Lots more at http://www.bocachicabeach.net/hotels_small.html
I know that Milanello and San Soucy also have free airport transfer and even less expensive rooms than El Candil, which is one of the nicest non-AI hotels in BC.

AndySpb

Jun 10, 2004
Thanks everybody for answers, especially to Hillibilly,

I think that we will try to go that late bus to Santiago and there is some guaguas to Puerto Plato or Sosua. I know that exactly, because one of my friends had the experience like this in November. But if my flight delays then I think that I will stay somewhere in Santo Domingo (not in Boca Chica - 1. Nothing to do there a?n the night - night life in SD is better and 2. I don't want loose time in the morning for going from Boca Chica to Caribe Tours)

2senior psychologist:
1. There is no flight from Europe which arrives the morning
2. My room in Sosua is not pre-paid, I live at villa at my friends.
3. Renting car and driving in DR is not problem for me, but I don;t want to drive after 11 hours of flying...

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
AndySpb said:

I think that we will try to go that late bus to Santiago and there is some guaguas to Puerto Plato or Sosua. I know that exactly, because one of my friends had the experience like this in November. But if my flight delays then I think that I will stay somewhere in Santo Domingo (not in Boca Chica - 1. Nothing to do there a?n the night - night life in SD is better and 2. I don't want loose time in the morning for going from Boca Chica to Caribe Tours)

2senior psychologist:
3. Renting car and driving in DR is not problem for me, but I don;t want to drive after 11 hours of flying...

Best wishes and safe travel to you. You are wise to not try that drive at night after a long flight from Europe. I've done it earlier in the day, and after a much shorter trip from the US, and don't think I'll do it again.

Perhaps my psychic powers need a bit of work. ;) As to any responses you got which were less than completely friendly (my own included), I think you can attribute those to the tone of your initial post. Starting out by lecturing people from whom you are seeking help on what you don't want to hear is not exactly the best way to inspire enthusiastic assistance. Leave it to Hillbilly to ignore that and give you the information you needed anyway.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
If you decide to spend night in Santiago, there is a Caribe Tours bus that leaves there about 6 am in the morning that passes through Sosua on way to Samana. Take it and you will be in Sosua by 8 am.

If that sounds interesting to you, I'll verify the time it leaves Santiago.

AndySpb

Jun 10, 2004
sweetdbt said:
I've done it earlier in the day, and after a much shorter trip from the US, and don't think I'll do it again.

I did it many times day in night time both and driving is not problem for me in DR...

sweetdbt said:
As to any responses you got which were less than completely friendly (my own included), I think you can attribute those to the tone of your initial post.

The tone of my initial post was like this because I remember answers when I asking last year about the way to go to Haiti... Nobody did not told me nothing about this. Only that I am carzy to go to Haiti and the best to do not this. Finally I visited Haiti without any problems and without any helpness from people from this forum...

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
AndySpb said:
I did it many times day in night time both and driving is not problem for me in DR...

The tone of my initial post was like this because I remember answers when I asking last year about the way to go to Haiti... Nobody did not told me nothing about this. Only that I am carzy to go to Haiti and the best to do not this. Finally I visited Haiti without any problems and without any helpness from people from this forum...

Hi Andy,

I am very comfortable driving in the DR as well, but found that after what was still a rather long day of travel (though not as long as yours will be), the drive to POP left me wanting to do nothing but sleep when I arrived.
(My amiga had other ideas however!) This is why I'm planning on a night in BC on arrival next trip.

You are obviously an adventurous traveler. The fact is not many people would want to do what you are trying, since you will arrive in Sosua so late, and could get there only about 8 or 10 hours later by staying the night in SD. I'm sure you have your reasons.

I'm not sure why you didn't get the information you were looking for before. DR1 people are generally generally eager to help. I do know that most of the expats and Dominicans who post frequently are from POP/Sosua, SD, or Santiago, and they wouldn't necessarily be very familiar with the transportation to Haiti.

You seem very confident about the availability of transportation from Santiago to POP at that late hour. I'm thinking of what Ken said, that there is really no good reason to have public transportation on that route all night. On the other hand, that demand might come from people connecting from SD like you are. In fact, there may be a local passenger on the bus from SD who is making the same connection and can take you right to the gua gua. I'm sure DR1 would be interested in the information on those gua guas, since there are late night flights into Santiago, and a lot of people who have paid cabfare to Sosua in the past may want to consider this option. Give us a report.

nancytres

Feb 19, 2002
RE: Travel at night

Chris said:
I live here and would not travel from SD to Sosua at night - in my own car driving myself. Have you seen the roads lately? But then, I'm not supposed to tell you that.

So, take three guaguas as you'll only fall into 5 holes. Remember to drink a lot of presidente, it will make the inevitable plunge off one or other mountain easier. Remember to wear good quality sunglasses to keep the glare from other vehicles with 6 pairs of strategically placed highbeams out of your eyes. It would be good if it rains during the journey, then you won't see the potholes big enough to swallow a VW. Do take the caretera touristica. (and please, don't take me seriously here!)

If you absolutely have to do this, be intelligent as well and rent a car plus a local driver who drives the roads frequently.

I just made this trip on Sunday morning (1:00 a.m.) from Cabrera to Santo Domingo by taxi and I can tell you that this is the most accurate information you could possibly give.

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
AndySpb said:

2senior psychologist:

It's good to see your arrangements have been solved, good luck in your journey.

AndySpb said:

1. Dont have such an attitude

2. If you cant afford a vacation or are to cheap to pay for a hotel for one night, Don't go.

3. You could always Walk

Badpiece ;)