Paraiso, Barahona link to pics

jeanmarie

Mar 24, 2004
I was reading the post on Carnival in the Travel:General forum and it reminded me of the pictures I took last year while spending 10 days in Paraiso, Barahona with Habitat for Humanity (my trip encompassed el Dia de Independencia -Feb 27, 2004).

It was the nicest small town parade in the late afternoon that went round and round the pueblo for a couple of hours then ended at the beach. I will never forget it. The whole town came out for it and accompanied the whole procession. It started around 4:00 in the afternoon but I recall the whole day being one of great anticpation in town, with great care going into costumes/makeup etc.

Shortly after my return I posted my PICS on an MSN website. It's not the best viewing site because to my knowledge you can't enlarge or do a slide-show, but technologically limited me does not know how or a better place to post them for public viewing.

Btw Paraiso is a small town about 4 hours by car from Sto Dom heading down the SW coast. Not a highly touristed area- the Hotel Paraiso has about 10 rooms which offer BASIC accomodations. The locals are friendly and generous (belonging, imho, to the much alluded to "real Dominicans" category) and the beaches stunning, albeit a little rocky.

Beware there are 96 pics, but if you're having a slow Sunday you might enjoy taking a look. Photo subject include Paraiso - Enriquillo - Coral Sol - Carnival - Habitat for Humanity - Baseball etc.

Here's the link: http://groups.msn.com/ParaisoHabitatFeb2004

Hope it works... :cross-eye

Jeanmarie

Last edited:

Art Covey

Jan 2, 2002
Barahona Area

Great report and pics. Visited Barahona and area in 2000, was fantastic.
Thanks for bringing back the memories.
Art

principe

Nov 19, 2002
Beautiful pics, my mother's family is from Barahona. The pictures certainly brought back memories of weekend trips to that region when i was younger.
Thanks,

Kiwicanuck

Dec 4, 2004
www.kiwicanuck.com
Great pictures

jeanmarie said:
I was reading the post on Carnival in the Travel:General forum and it reminded me of the pictures I took last year while spending 10 days in Paraiso, Barahona with Habitat for Humanity (my trip encompassed el Dia de Independencia -Feb 27, 2004).

A really good group of photo's, all the smiling children, a very enjoy look.

Thank You