Anybody ever Transport an Airstream Trailer to the DR??

Miamimike

Jan 16, 2005
Hi-was wondering if anyone here knows of anyone who has ever exported a Trailer such as an Airstream into the DR from the States via Ocean Shipping? This trailer would be in the name of a Dominican Citizen, not titled in a US Citizen's name. This is NOT a Motorized Vehicle I would add. The purpose of this transaction would be to park it on a person's private lot and to reside in it part of the year. I did a lot of searches here but came up dry. Any Opinions?? This is done frequently in Mexico without problem or complications as many Retired americans cross daily into Mexico towing their Airstreams with them. This isn't an option from Miami to the DR, obvoiusly.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
During the years that I have posted on this board, this is the first such request I have heard.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Miamimike said:
Hi-was wondering if anyone here knows of anyone who has ever exported a Trailer such as an Airstream into the DR from the States via Ocean Shipping? This trailer would be in the name of a Dominican Citizen, not titled in a US Citizen's name. This is NOT a Motorized Vehicle I would add. The purpose of this transaction would be to park it on a person's private lot and to reside in it part of the year. I did a lot of searches here but came up dry. Any Opinions?? This is done frequently in Mexico without problem or complications as many Retired americans cross daily into Mexico towing their Airstreams with them. This isn't an option from Miami to the DR, obvoiusly.

I have to say that this is a creative idea if you can pull it off without taking too high a tariff hit. I've spent some time in an Airstream, and can attest that it is not exactly "roughing it". You'd have propane stove and fridge, AC, and a built-in planta.

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
I would bet you could build a small house on said property for what it will cost you to inport that trailer.
Good luck though.

Miamimike

Jan 16, 2005
Bought the airstream for $4500--one shipper gave me a price $3000 for transport-which I feel is high considering wt.5000 lbs.-weighing my options at this point. Many folks in Mexico live in their RVs.

Miamimike

Jan 16, 2005
sweetdbt said:
I have to say that this is a creative idea if you can pull it off without taking too high a tariff hit. I've spent some time in an Airstream, and can attest that it is not exactly "roughing it". You'd have propane stove and fridge, AC, and a built-in planta.

My Neighbor is a Business women from POP and it would be titled in her name to avoid taxes I may pay.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Somewhere on these forums this question has been asked before :) But, with a few quick searches, I cannot find it... Ken and I are going to be searching like crazy I guess.

Anyway, about the trailer, the kind that you drive, or the kind that you pull?

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Miamimike said:
Bought the airstream for $4500--one shipper gave me a price $3000 for transport-which I feel is high considering wt.5000 lbs.-weighing my options at this point. Many folks in Mexico live in their RVs.

I suspect the high price is due to size, not weight. Unlike a car, I doubt it would fit in a standard container.

Chris,

He indicated in the OP that it is not a motorized vehicle. Airstream makes those as well, but you sure can't buy one for $4500! ;)

Miamimike

Jan 16, 2005
Chris said:
Somewhere on these forums this question has been asked before :) But, with a few quick searches, I cannot find it... Ken and I are going to be searching like crazy I guess.

Anyway, about the trailer, the kind that you drive, or the kind that you pull?

The make is Airstream--america's oldest manufacturer of Trailers-it is not self propelled--has NO motor--this would move it to another and more complicated situation. They are bullet shaped covered by shiny aircraft type aluminum.This would never be moved from its resting place. Seen lots of info on taking them to Mexico and they do it without any problem. Many Many folks live there in their trailers. Airstreams are defintely not a TIN shack or to be confused with such. They are great for a SINGLE PERSON OR A COUPLE THAT HAS A GOOD RELATIONSHIP. Depends upon one's spacial needs if this can suffice for living quarters. Me, I live in a Studio Condo in S. Fl(660 sq.ft) and it is more then sufficient for me as a single. Years ago in aboard ships in the Merchant Marine I resided for years ina 8x10' cabin-so I am used to small spaces. Not for everyone but for me it is!

diosabella

May 24, 2012
hi there, we are trying to transport our airstream trailer to DR as well, what company did you use?
best prices to do this? thanks

aname4me

Jun 18, 2011
I would love to hear the answer to this ?Airstream? question.

My wife and I, live in a 20 year old 26' Airsteam all summer. It would be great in the DR.

So... what are you going to do for Sewer and grey water?

Is there such a thing as a ?trailer park? in the DR?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I would love to hear the answer to this “Airstream” question.

My wife and I, live in a 20 year old 26' Airsteam all summer. It would be great in the DR.

So... what are you going to do for Sewer and grey water?

Is there such a thing as a “trailer park” in the DR?

no such thing here.. no trailer parks, no campgrounds with hook ups or pump outs

he would have to dig a septic field or install a tank and dig a well or presumably get water from the connection from the main house via a hose...

and, of course, there is sometimes a hurricane issue but the airstream is certainly better than a lot of the shacks here\!

AHHHHHHH

the lovely silver bullet

it is the Rolls of the trailers..

SNH

Jul 24, 2010
No idea about shipping but I've seen some very nice ones restored..however I do not think DR is the place to live in one for security reasons, a big shinny beautiful trailer sitting isolated out in country side or somewhere on a beach with gringos living in it will look like a big piggy bank to the local ladrons.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck with the move.

Softail

Nov 15, 2011
Perhaps he could cover it with a layer of Brink's armor as in the money delivery trucks, install machine gun portals, and wait for said ladrones...