Bringing my Fiance to the U.S. with me

Morenita84

Aug 22, 2004
Hi all,

This is my first time posting to this site, and I'd like some legal help. My fiance and I have been together for a little over a year. I've spent some time with him in the DR, and at this point deciding if I want to live there or if him living here is the best option for us. Since I've lived there before, I'm thinking it would be easier for both of us here, and I'm wondering how can I get him here with me in the quickest way.

I know that I need to fill out a K-1 form and turn it in, but a friend of mine told me that if I bring my tax papers and my passport that I can go to the consulate there in Santo Domingo and prove that I can support him until he finds work. With that they will either deny the claim or approve it, and allow him to travel back on my returning flight to the U.S. with me. Is this true? And if so how do I go about it?

Basically what I"m getting from this is that it's easier if I'm there and apply for him to come with me versus sending off paperwork here in the U.S.?

I'm sure this question has been answered here before, but I'd really appreciate any advice as to how I can do this with the least amount of problems.

Thank You,
R.D.

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
My experience has been that you would be better off going with him to the consulate there. However, you are basically relying on the whim of the consulate worker you deal with. Some times they are very accomodating. Other times not so much. Either way, it is better than mailing stuff to the black hole of the federal beurocracy.

lsylla01

Aug 10, 2004
Hey Morenita84, there is that possibility that your fiance may return with you through a process called called Direct Consulate Filing http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?pg=dcf. Check out the link for more details. However, it's not promised but if done, it sure beats going home, filing the paper work then waiting for a long time. Hope that helps.

Nov 5, 2004
lsylla01 said:
Hey Morenita84, there is that possibility that your fiance may return with you through a process called called Direct Consulate Filing http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?pg=dcf. Check out the link for more details. However, it's not promised but if done, it sure beats going home, filing the paper work then waiting for a long time. Hope that helps.

Is this Direct Consulate Filing avalible only in the US?

twincactus

Aug 9, 2004
www.dominicanstotheusa.com
Man there is so much disinformation out there

First of all, let me say I am married to a Dominicana and I in process for a visa for her right now. A few myths I will try to clear up right now to help you and some other folks here who have some misconceptions about bringing people from the DR to the US:

1. You will NOT I repeat NOT get a tourist visa to the US, especially if you are thinking about getting married. Some people wait for 5 years for a tourist visa and they aren't in the habit of giving them to youmg beautiful girls or young Dominican guys with no property or assets. It just ain't gonna happen.

2. While you can file for a K-1 visa, it is a long process and if you don't do it right and can't prove your relationship, you will be denied.

3. If you try to commit fraud by enetring on say a tourist visa with the intent of getting married, they can ban your sweetheart from the US for 10 years or sometimes even for life.

4. DCF (direct consular filing) is not available in the DR. Only in a few countries

5. I hope your relationship can stand the test of time. Expect the process to take about 6 months for the K visa. It could also be longer . For us (we are married) it has been 6 months so far and I think we have 3 or 4 more to go on the CR-1 visa.

That all being said, If you need some help, I would be glad to help you. Just be aware it isn't just as easy as "filling out a paper". There are tons of original and certified documents they will want as well as concrete proof of your relationship, like photos, plane tickets, phone bills, etc. At the interview they will ask you questions like "When was the last time you had sex" and your answers better match with your partner's. I'm not trying to scare you here, just letting you know what you are in for. Many people think they can get around the system somehow, but I can assure you the immigration officers have seen it all and you WILL get caught. I will answer in the forum so all can see if you have questions, or if you prefer you can PM me.

-Tim

lsylla01

Aug 10, 2004
PeachezNcream84, Direct Consulate Filing is available out of the US. It's sort of a shorter process but not offered at all consulates. Also it must be an uncomplicated process meaning he/she can't have a criminal record, no illnesses such as AIDS or tuberculosis and so on. The term DCF or Direct Consulate Filing is also known as a Green Card. So not everyone is familiar with the term DCF.

-Is that helpful? If not ask more...

twincactus

Aug 9, 2004
I don't want to sound mean but....

lsylla01 said:
PeachezNcream84, Direct Consulate Filing is available out of the US. It's sort of a shorter process but not offered at all consulates. Also it must be an uncomplicated process meaning he/she can't have a criminal record, no illnesses such as AIDS or tuberculosis and so on. The term DCF or Direct Consulate Filing is also known as a Green Card. So not everyone is familiar with the term DCF.

-Is that helpful? If not ask more...

I'm sorry but you have no idea what you are talking about. DCF is NOT available in the DR or I would be doing it. Also, DCF has nothing to do with a Green Card. You get that when you arrive in the US on a CR-1 or IR-1 visa, or after you adjust status when entering on a K-1 or K-3 visa. The best place to get information if you don't want to believe someone who is going through the process is www.visajourney.com. Also the USCIS website at www.uscis.gov is the OFFICIAL US gov site. You can read all of it there or if you REALLY want to know, call the US Consulate in Santo Domingo at (809) 221-2171 and find out for yourself.

-Tim

lsylla01

Aug 10, 2004
Hey Tim that's where I got my info from off of www.visajourney.com. Also, from another reliable source: the US Consulate in Bridgetown, Barbados. Oh yeah, from another reliable source: a former employee of the Emabssy in Barbados who runs her own courier service in Antigua.
Also, I never said it's offered in the DR. Read my message again and point it out where I said that. I clearly stated that it isn't offered everywhere.

Anything else...

twincactus

Aug 9, 2004
It's OK.....

lsylla01 said:
Hey Tim that's where I got my info from off of www.visajourney.com. Also, from another reliable source: the US Consulate in Bridgetown, Barbados. Oh yeah, from another reliable source: a former employee of the Emabssy in Barbados who runs her own courier service in Antigua.
Also, I never said it's offered in the DR. Read my message again and point it out where I said that. I clearly stated that it isn't offered everywhere.

Anything else...

Like I said, I'm not trying to be mean. The girl asked advice specifice to the DR and every country is different for the immigration process. The DR has specific rules and is a very hard place to get even a Fiance' visa. The BEST way would be to get married here legally, (also a very complicated process) and then apply for an I-130 petition (and) a K-3 visa if you don't want to wait for the CR-1 visa. My point of all this is that the DR isn't Barbados and the process may be very different. I certainly am not putting down your desire to help.

-Tim

jeanmarie

Mar 24, 2004
lsylla01 said:

Anything else...

The OFFICIAL source of information on this subject would be the Santo-Domingo US Embassy Website.

Here is the link: http://www.usemb.gov.do/index.htm

From this link go to "Consular Section", then "Immigrant Visas", then read the FAQ's. Everything is right there.

Your Barbados sources CANNOT provide accurate information regarding the DR- every Consulate operates slightly differently and procedures and requirements change often even within a particular country. For example, in the DR the US spouse is all but required to attend the visa interview, whereas in most countries in the world they are not required or not even permitted to.

If you still have questions after reading through the Gov. site, try the links posted by NY1 and Twincactus.

Also DCF is NOT also known as "Green Card", and is not available in the DR, as others have confirmed.

lsylla01

Aug 10, 2004
It's cool Tim. I was just giving her an option to explore. Wasn't aware whether it was available or not over there.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Folks, Peaches is Canadian. So I think what she was actually asking is whether an option similar to the U.S.' Direct Consulate Filing (DCF) is available in other countries's immigration process -- say, like in Canada. ;)

If I'm wrong about her intent, I hope she'll forgive me for misinterpreting. Just trying to help :nervous:

twincactus

Aug 9, 2004
Yep you're right about that.

Keith R said:
Folks, Peaches is Canadian. So I think what she was actually asking is whether an option similar to the U.S.' Direct Consulate Filing (DCF) is available in other countries's immigration process -- say, like in Canada. ;)

If I'm wrong about her intent, I hope she'll forgive me for misinterpreting. Just trying to help :nervous:

I'm pretty sure Peaches is Canadian also. I wasn't actually addressing her question although it sorta looks that way. I was trying to help Morenita84 so that she didn't follow the wrong advice and get things messed up. If you make a mistake with US immigration, it could mean that you will never get your spouse or novio/novia to the US. I wouldn't want anybody to have to go through that, hell I wouldn't want anybody to have to go through the regular immigration process like we are. It's a very long wait for your sweetheart and you have to deal with the ultimate beaurocracy of the USCIS.

Peaches, I don't know about Canada, you would have to check with Canadian immigration. Sorry it looked like my response was directed at you, I should have quoted the original poster.

-Tim

Nov 5, 2004
twincactus said:
I'm pretty sure Peaches is Canadian also. I wasn't actually addressing her question although it sorta looks that way. I was trying to help Morenita84 so that she didn't follow the wrong advice and get things messed up. If you make a mistake with US immigration, it could mean that you will never get your spouse or novio/novia to the US. I wouldn't want anybody to have to go through that, hell I wouldn't want anybody to have to go through the regular immigration process like we are. It's a very long wait for your sweetheart and you have to deal with the ultimate beaurocracy of the USCIS.

Peaches, I don't know about Canada, you would have to check with Canadian immigration. Sorry it looked like my response was directed at you, I should have quoted the original poster.

-Tim

It's ok I figured you were responding to Morenita84 ;)
but thank you.

I didn't think there is anything like that I have done my reasearch and I am starting to gather all my paperwork for Permanent Residency! The wedding is coming up in 24 days!!! :D Lots of work to be done though.

Just thought I would check though, always looking for a process that keeps us apart for less time. Although I am considering moving down to the DR shortly after I apply, I do have a really good job now with room for advancement...(in other words room for LOTS of $$ to be made..which is going to be important in the next little while..)

Although I just thought of something else I need help with, so I will be opening another thread in a little bit.. ;)

cbarrin

Feb 1, 2005
Getting Started

I feel i?ve been writing so many of these now....currently i?m in the DR for another 1.5 months visiting my ?now? fiance...while i?m here, what can i do to get started with the visa process, what can i ask for..basically is it good to be here in person to do things...remeber..since i?m visiting, i don?t have any documentation with me.

cbarrin

NY1

Feb 26, 2002
cbarrin, if you are American and since you have no docs, the only thing you can do is have your fiance fill out this form:

http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/files/g-325a.pdf

There are 4 pages of basically the same info that have to be filled by her.

You should also get a "letter of intent to marry" from her. You can basically write it and just have her sign it. It should say that you will marry within 90 days of entering the US.

When you return to the US, you would submit a I-129F form from immigration with lots of proof of having met in person. This is what the form looks like:

http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/files/I-129F.pdf

Hope that helps!

twincactus

Aug 9, 2004
Well there is way more to it than that but.....

NY1 is right, you have to file a 129F petition. There is much more to be done than that. There are more documents you will need, and i know evryone is gung ho for the K-1, but trust me, the embassy is rejecting alot of these right now. yes they are fast IF you are approved. If not you may have a6 month wait for them to review your case. My advice? Get married in the DR. (the honeymoon will be nice anyway) and apply for a CR-1 visa. Your spouse will enter the US with a green card and a SS# and there will be no long drawn out adjustment of status process. If you really want good advice go to www.visajourney.com and read, read read.

-Tim

Wedding pics at www.twincactus.com

Dr. scott

May 17, 2005
US Embassy Dominican Republic

In regards to the issue of filing for your visa in the Dominican Republic.
If you hold a Dominican Resident visa, All visa's may be filied at the U.S. Consulate building "Window 25" I just did it for my Dominican wife.

onmywaytoRD

Apr 15, 2005
twincactus said:
NY1 is right, you have to file a 129F petition. There is much more to be done than that. There are more documents you will need, and i know evryone is gung ho for the K-1, but trust me, the embassy is rejecting alot of these right now. yes they are fast IF you are approved. If not you may have a6 month wait for them to review your case. My advice? Get married in the DR. (the honeymoon will be nice anyway) and apply for a CR-1 visa. Your spouse will enter the US with a green card and a SS# and there will be no long drawn out adjustment of status process. If you really want good advice go to www.visajourney.com and read, read read.

-Tim

Wedding pics at www.twincactus.com

Hey Tim

Can you tell me a little about where you are getting the information that the K-1 is being more readily rejected right now? I have actually not heard that and prefer to go that route if possible. If it's going to be a bust, then I guess I'll drag my family down to the DR for a wedding, but I'd rather do it the K-1 way. Whatever you can tell me would be great. Thanks

Andrea