things to bring or not

large_e

Jan 16, 2005
I will be making my first trip to Sosua in March. I was wondering what things to bring with me and what not to bring. A couple of specifics: video camera, and or a digital camera. I understand customs can get a bit interesting with possessions. Thanks, looking forward to a great time. Staying at Hotel Europa.

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
You should be alright with bringing cameras etc in. I have always been waved though customs.

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
Jimmydr said:
I would get them fired for that.

I agree they should be fired and imprisoned.
I once had many items stolen from my suitcase by baggage handlers. Politur never made arrests or recovery at pop airport. This woiuld have been an easy case, INTERIGATE all baggege handlers who handle the baggages for my flight.

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
stallion said:
I agree they should be fired and imprisoned.
I once had many items stolen from my suitcase by baggage handlers. Politur never made arrests or recovery at pop airport. This woiuld have been an easy case, INTERIGATE all baggege handlers who handle the baggages for my flight.

Threaten to call the embassy, that gets them thinking.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You can bring your camaras

put the batteries in you check-in luggage before you leave. The Security people are trying to be more Catholic than the Pope and taking batteries is just one of their idiotic moves. Another, that they did tome, was to break off the file on my nail clippers, that were in my luggage.

Wrap the batteries in different, dirty underware so that they are not all together...Better yet, just say NO! to them if they attempt to take them. Might raise a few eyebrows.

When you come take one of the fliers that are available at most airports telling you what or what not to go in your luggage and show it to them.. Be firm and be polite and make sure you smile a bit.

This should never be a problem.

Apart from that, bug spray for the evenings and sum block for the daytime. No need to get sun burned and ruin your fun...

HB :D:D:D

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
i have never had a problem with my cam or batteries. But then i aways keep my cam in my carry on.

Uh...i hate to ask the original poster.....or others with hastles...if they are white or brown or black. I ask this as i have white looks...and i generaly get waved through customs. Arriving at SDQ they dont even open or scan my bags. HOwever a darker skinned (sorta dominican looking) friend had some problemswith security when he flew back (without me...the gringo). Because he LOOKED Dominincan but didnt speak spanish...which frustated the officers....but eventualy he got an english speaking one and got thru. so i THINK that if you LOOK dominican they will most likely go thru your stuff...but as a gringo looking tourist i tend to just breeze thru with not even a second glance.

One word of advise...unless you are completely fluent in spanish NEVER attempt to deal with the authorities in spanish....it can only make things worse. (I almost got in trouble that way). Any time i deal with airport security officials i dont speak one word in spanish (even with my last spanish name).

What do you DR1'rs thing about that? about not trying to use the language and playing dumb american (or canadian or euro) when dealing with airport security? Is that the right thing to do or wrong.

Oh...one last thing...dont pack sex toys in your bags. ON my first trip there someone warned me that a friend of theirs got locked up for 2 weeks for traveling with a dildo (can i say that word here?). Condoms are ok...but if you are into anything kink i think i would keep that home (luckily i am not that kinky nor do a travel with "toys")

john cast

Oct 3, 2004
large_e said:
I will be making my first trip to Sosua in March. I was wondering what things to bring with me and what not to bring. A couple of specifics: video camera, and or a digital camera. I understand customs can get a bit interesting with possessions. Thanks, looking forward to a great time. Staying at Hotel Europa.
i just got back put items in your carry on bring rain gear and waterproof shoes just in case

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
large_e said:

You have nothing serious to worry about. Keep valuables as you mention with you in carry-on. There is a 1% chance customs will even inspect you.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
ricktoronto said:
You have nothing serious to worry about. Keep valuables as you mention with you in carry-on. There is a 1% chance customs will even inspect you.

Rick is right. When a plane lands there are so many people that they tend to wave through people who look like tourists and aren't carrying an excessive amount of luggage.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
You have no problems...

I assume you are talking about DR customs. They have never bothered me and I am a packrat when I come through. If they were to show an interest in one of your items...you would just have to show some grit and they would back off. They are not able to do just anything they desire. They have to keep going up the chain of command to get approval...unless you just put your head down and walk away. Take whatever you want.

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
large_e said:
I will be making my first trip to Sosua in March. I was wondering what things to bring with me and what not to bring. A couple of specifics: <a style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=21&k=video%20camera" onmouseover="window.status='video camera'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">video camera</a>, and or a <a style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=21&k=digital%20camera" onmouseover="window.status='digital camera'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">digital camera</a>. I understand customs can get a bit interesting with possessions. Thanks, looking forward to a great time. Staying at Hotel Europa.

You should not have any problems in bringing anything other than weapons and drugs. Cameras are fine. Good luck.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Hillbilly said:
put the batteries in you check-in luggage before you leave. The Security people are trying to be more Catholic than the Pope and taking batteries is just one of their idiotic moves. Another, that they did tome, was to break off the file on my nail clippers, that were in my luggage.

Wrap the batteries in different, dirty underware so that they are not all together...Better yet, just say NO! to them if they attempt to take them. Might raise a few eyebrows.

When you come take one of the fliers that are available at most airports telling you what or what not to go in your luggage and show it to them.. Be firm and be polite and make sure you smile a bit.

This should never be a problem.

Apart from that, bug spray for the evenings and sum block for the daytime. No need to get sun burned and ruin your fun...

HB :D:D:D

HB,

Dirty underwear in your luggage? Argh......

Scottie

TEHAMA

Feb 3, 2004
jrzyguy said:
What do you DR1'rs thing about that? about not trying to use the language and playing dumb american (or canadian or euro) when dealing with airport security? Is that the right thing to do or wrong.

There is an art to playing dumb with Airport Security at SDQ. I have done it so MANY times it probably wont work for me any longer now that I am mentioning it. They say I look Dominican, but I honesty know very little Espanol. So they always talk to me in Spanish. The trick is to appear interested and willing to understand what is asked or said. And reply with your bad Espanol saying something that is completely wrong. All while appearing to want to "get it right."

After few lines they give up and move on. Works everytime.
TEHAMA

Don Tomas

Jun 22, 2004
jrzyguy said:
Oh...one last thing...dont pack sex toys in your bags. ON my first trip there someone warned me that a friend of theirs got locked up for 2 weeks for traveling with a dildo (can i say that word here?). Condoms are ok...but if you are into anything kink i think i would keep that home (luckily i am not that kinky nor do a travel with "toys")

Considering they sell "toys" like that in the DR at adult stores I highly doubt your friend of a friend's story. Especially since mine have been pulled out at SDQ, the guy smiled and mumbled something about a "tigre" and put them back. I just laughed.

That would be great to be arrested especially if you bought it in one of the stores in the DR, let's say if you were on your honeymoon and wanted something to remember the DR by in that sort of way.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
If you stick to your point, you will win eventually. I am told alot of things at the airport, what I can bring and what I can't. I do what I feel is easy for me and they simply let you go. Once a security man tried to take away my rechargeable batteries from me. I was only allowed to take batteries that were in my digital camera and the rest (6) batteries he tried to keep. I aid, "no no no" and took them from him and checked them in luggage in a small tiny package that delta airlines agent provided for me. When I got to NYC I got my little package come in wit regular luggage and I was all set to go. I never let them take away anything from me. You are in DR, not in a rebel controlled territory in colombia. So stay calm and keep yout cool. everything works out fine.
By the way, speaking of sex toys: Atlanta airport TSA is under law suit by a woman who was embarrassed by the airport security who took out her sex toy in front of passengers and made fun of it. Hahahahaha
AZB