Adopting dogs from the D.R.

jeeplady

Jan 17, 2005
My husband and I are interested in adopting a dog from the Sosua area. We saw him there in November of 2003. We are going back in March. Any helpful info or suggestions? We have also been inquiring on a few other D.R. sites. Thanks.

P.S. We have pictures of him on our website: ruready2travel.com
His name is Lobo

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
What suggestions are you looking for? If the dog is a stray, take him home and feed him. He won't leave after that. I know severall people who have "adopoted" dogs in this manner.

If you plan to keep him, I would recommend taking the dog to Dr. Bob, the local vet, to check on his health, get his shots, etc.

jeeplady

Jan 17, 2005
Ken said:
What suggestions are you looking for? If the dog is a stray, take him home and feed him. He won't leave after that. I know severall people who have "adopoted" dogs in this manner.

If you plan to keep him, I would recommend taking the dog to Dr. Bob, the local vet, to check on his health, get his shots, etc.

We are looking to take him home (to Illinois). And you are the second or third person that mentioned Dr. Bob. So we will be looking him up. Last night I did find some info regarding Customs & Immigrations. I am also waiting for the airline, Condor, to give me some info. Thanks.

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
jeeplady said:
My husband and I are interested in adopting a dog from the Sosua area. We saw him there in November of 2003. We are going back in March. Any helpful info or suggestions? We have also been inquiring on a few other D.R. sites. Thanks.

P.S. We have pictures of him on our website: ruready2travel.com
His name is Lobo

Nice pictures.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
While this is all well and good

Why not go to your local animal shelter and get a good dog?

the dogs that are on the street in Sos?a are often abused and seldome healthy., and there are no guarantees.

If you want to help, ask Dr. Bob to spay and neuter a few of them in your name.

Don't take home problems.
HB:(:(:(:(

jeeplady

Jan 17, 2005
I have been thinking about this and I won't know how I'll feel about it if and when I see Lobo again. Before my husband and I spend a small fortune on this cute little dog, maybe we should use that money to help some people in the D.R.
There are thousands of dogs in the U.S. that need homes and most of them do not have the warm climate to live in that Lobo does. For instance, we live near Chicago. With this cold weather just thinking about a dog or cat without a home just breaks my heart.
I will just have to wait and see. We have several acquaintances on Sosua Bay. Maybe we can ask if they can just keep an eye out for Lobo now and then. A friend of ours (we met him on our first trip to Sosua) has a restuarant on the beach. It is called El Tiburon. His name is Luis. El Tiburon is all the way at the end of the strip, towards Charamicos. He has two beautiful little girls. Maybe we should do something for this family. Anyway I appreciate the advice you have all given and will keep you posted. Thanks. :glasses:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
When you get here, talk with Judy. She does some work with Dr. Bob and has a dog sitting business, etc. She also does a lot with stray dogs and finding homes for dogs.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
jeeplady said:
I have been thinking about this and I won't know how I'll feel about it if and when I see Lobo again. Before my husband and I spend a small fortune on this cute little dog, maybe we should use that money to help some people in the D.R.
There are thousands of dogs in the U.S. that need homes and most of them do not have the warm climate to live in that Lobo does. For instance, we live near Chicago. With this cold weather just thinking about a dog or cat without a home just breaks my heart.

When you look at the $ you'd need to lay out to pull this off, I think you are on the right track here. Things are pretty tough for a lot of the PEOPLE in the DR right now. In addition to the climate strays have to deal with where you live, thousands of unclaimed dogs are put down in US animal shelters daily. Lobo may not have an easy life, but I'm not sure I wouldn't trade places with him right now. It's COLD out there!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Thank you Jeeplady.

I realize that you have a desire to help. Remember the adage: Give a man a fish and eats for a day; Teach a man to fish and he eats all the time.

Ask the guy how the girls are doing in school. Take them a few notebooks, pencils and rulers and pencil sharpeners and erasers. If they are young, a coloring book and crayons. Support "Sos?a Kids" an organization that helps schoolchildren all over town. They are currently helping dozens.

As for the dogs? Well Dr. Bob can cut a few of them and eventually reduce the population.

HB :D:D

jeeplady

Jan 17, 2005
The more that I think about this logically and not emotionally I agree with that. Like I said though, if and when I see Lobo I might not see it the same way. But maybe we can show Dr. Bob who Lobo is and he will keep and eye out for him and we can make a donation to his clinic. It will be a lot easier to not worry about Lobo if I feel reasonably confident that someone might throw him some food now or then or pet him. We are planning on trying to call our friend Luis at El Tiburon today. I want to find out how big his girls our now and he may even have another one (we haven't since him since November 2003). I appreciate everyone's responses and will let you know what happens. We will arrive there on March 4th. We will post our pix shortly after we arrive home. Hopefully Lobo will be in some of them (ruready2travel.com)

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
We brought our Dominican puppy with us to Kentucky. We got her as a puppy from Dr. Bob. We had her spayed and all her vaccinations while we were living in the DR. It did not cost much to bring her to the US and we had no problem with customs. She was in a small pet carry-on.

HOWEVER, she has had a difficult time adjusting to the cold. She has been in the US for about a year and a half, and she has finally gotten a little bit of a coat. We have to be very careful about putting her out in the winter. She will go out for at most a half hour if the temp is less than 50. Someone is always home, so it is not much of an issue for us. Her energy level has increased in the cooler air, but she likes to be warm. She sleeps in the laundry room next to the heat vent. And Illinois tends to be quite a bit colder than here. She has no fur between her paws to deal with snow (which we rarely have). If we move back to Maine (not likely), we will not take her. We only brought her back to the US because she had become a member of the family.

jeeplady

Jan 17, 2005
mainer said:
We brought our Dominican puppy with us to Kentucky. We got her as a puppy from Dr. Bob. We had her spayed and all her vaccinations while we were living in the DR. It did not cost much to bring her to the US and we had no problem with customs. She was in a small pet carry-on.

HOWEVER, she has had a difficult time adjusting to the cold. She has been in the US for about a year and a half, and she has finally gotten a little bit of a coat. We have to be very careful about putting her out in the winter. She will go out for at most a half hour if the temp is less than 50. Someone is always home, so it is not much of an issue for us. Her energy level has increased in the cooler air, but she likes to be warm. She sleeps in the laundry room next to the heat vent. And Illinois tends to be quite a bit colder than here. She has no fur between her paws to deal with snow (which we rarely have). If we move back to Maine (not likely), we will not take her. We only brought her back to the US because she had become a member of the family.
That was another concern as well. Thanks for letting us know.

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
Lobo

I could be wrong but I am pretty sure that Lobo is a dog that I have seen hanging out at the Britannia Pub in the evenings (he comes by in hopes of getting Machete's - another dog - leftovers). He is looking much healthier now than in your pictures and has put on some weight. He is a very affectionate dog and I think he would make a great pet however I don't know how he would like the cold Chicago winters!

hollywood north

Dec 11, 2002
www.cybersecretary.ca
Well, it seems that many women choose to marry them, and once in their new homeland, they then become strays once again.

Seriously-I woukld be concerend about the climate change, and yeah your money could go quite far in supplies for schools or needy people. I had the sweetest puppy offered to me...but no way. I get my pets from the Humane Society at home.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
hollywood north said:
Well, it seems that many women choose to marry them, and once in their new homeland, they then become strays once again.

Marry what, hollywood north, a dog? ;)

jeeplady

Jan 17, 2005
Fiesta Mama said:
I could be wrong but I am pretty sure that Lobo is a dog that I have seen hanging out at the Britannia Pub in the evenings (he comes by in hopes of getting Machete's - another dog - leftovers). He is looking much healthier now than in your pictures and has put on some weight. He is a very affectionate dog and I think he would make a great pet however I don't know how he would like the cold Chicago winters!

That is so awesome! Your info made by day. I am so happy to hear, if it is Lobo, that he is looking so well. Thanks. :classic: