Canadian US Resident: How to bring someone to the US?

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
My friend was born in Canada but resides in the US. She wants to bring her boyfriend over to the US. Questions:

1. Does she have to fill our paperwork from Canada, or can she 'ask' for him as a US resident?

2. If he were to come as her fiancee, how does that work? What happens if they dont get married after all?

3. What is the approximate cost of bringing a spouse or finacee over here these days?

If someone can point me to correct website for this info, it will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Talldrink said:
My friend was born in Canada but resides in the US. She wants to bring her boyfriend over to the US. Questions:

1. Does she have to fill our paperwork from Canada, or can she 'ask' for him as a US resident?

2. If he were to come as her fiancee, how does that work? What happens if they dont get married after all?

3. What is the approximate cost of bringing a spouse or finacee over here these days?

If someone can point me to correct website for this info, it will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

First of all, I am assuming her boyfriend is Canadian? Or is he Dominican and that is why you are asking on this site?
Secondly, if he is Canadian, she has to contact the US immigration dept. or go to the US imm. website, they have downloadable application forms. If they haven't changed it in the last 3 years, there is about 35 pages to read over!! When we were getting frustrated about my american fiances' immigration process into Canada, we thought it might be easier for us to pack up and move to the States and have me apply for my US residency. All I know, is that one of the criteria is on a fiance visa, you have to have an actual date of marriage set - we didn't want to be pushed into it - and decided to stick it out in Canada - after 3 years - Steven has finally become a PR as of Dec. 29/04!!!!!! It is not easy - that sums it up.
If he is Dominican - can't help you out there !!!!! LOL
All these questions can be answered by US immigration - at least that way you have accurate info not second hand and possibly outdated or completely false info. Just search on the web for US government - its that easy!
Marlie

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Thanks Marlie. Yes he is Dominican.

I heard that the Canandian Immigrations laws are very strict - I have another friend who is a US Citizen that has been trying to get citizenship or residency in Canada for about 3 years now. It has been hell for him.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
As regards to costs

Has she paid her "Dumb"TAx yet? What a dream: Get me a Canadian, hook up with her, get her to go to the US and then get her to take me!!

ARRRRGGGGHhhhh... We'll see how this one turns out. I am betting "very expensive"

HB :(:(:(:(

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Now, now Hillbilly, Lets not get this confused with another "I want to bring my Sankie to the US" thread...

This girl has lived in the US her entire life, however she was born in Canada. She met him a while ago (more than a year ago) and they are finally talking permanent plans. I was wondering about the process and so I decided to post here.

I will definitely post with any updates on what I find out since not many here can answer my question.

Thanks.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Talldrink, you haven't told us anything about the Dominican boyfriend. What does he do? Does he own a business or hold an important job in some business? Is he a well educated professonal? If he is considered a very solid citizen in the DR and has some reason to come back to the DR, she might be able to help him get a visa to come for a visit. If that goes well and they still want to make permanent plans, it might be easier.

But if he is just a good looking Dominican with little ability to support himself, then my guess is that his chances of getting government approval to come to the US to find out if the two of them want a permanent arrangement is doomed.

Why would the US want to admit him?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Talldrink said:

Thanks.

If she is a legal US resident and she wants to get him into the US, the fact that she was born in Canada has absolutely nothing to do with him getting a US visa.

If he's trying to get into the US then she has to follow their laws.

http://travel.state.gov/ I think all you want to know is there

Good Luck ;)

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Thanks Anna, I will have her look over the info in the website.

Ken - Unfortunately his situation is more the second paragraph of your post than the first...

jskr1us

Apr 29, 2003
Big Task Ahead!

US Law applies and if you really want to know what is involved here it is:
Overview http://uscis.gov/graphics/services/residency/family.htm

A lawful permanent resident is a foreign national who has been granted the privilege of permanently living and working in the United States. If you want to become a lawful permanent resident based on the fact that you have a relative who is a citizen of the United States or a relative who is a lawful permanent resident, you must go through a multi-step process.

First, the USCIS must approve an immigrant visa petition, I-130 Petition for Alien Relative for you. This petition is filed by your relative (sponsor) and must be accompanied by proof of your relationship to the requesting relative.

Second, the Department of State must determine if an immigrant visa number is immediately available to you, the foreign national, even if you are already in the United States. When an immigrant visa number becomes immediately available to you, it means that you can apply to have one of the immigrant visa numbers assigned to you. You can check the status of a visa number in the Department of State's Visa Bulletin.

Third, if you are already in the United States, you may apply to change your status to that of a lawful permanent resident after a visa number becomes available for you. This is one way you can apply to secure an immigrant visa number. Click here for application procedures for becoming a lawful permanent resident while in the United States. If you are outside the United States when an immigrant visa number becomes available for you, you must then go to the U.S. consulate servicing the area in which you reside to complete your processing. This is the other way in which you can apply to secure an immigrant visa number.
Note: Information concerning the new K (advance admission for the spouse and children of a U.S. citizen) and new V (advance admission for the spouse and the minor children of a lawful permanent resident) nonimmigrant categories is available but not yet incorporated here. For updates on the Legal Immigration Family Equity (LIFE) Act, please click here.
the links probably won't work but you can go to the site if you are brave enough to take this on. Good Luck! :glasses:

twincactus

Aug 9, 2004
www.dominicanstotheusa.com
6 months and counting.........

jskr1us said:
US Law applies and if you really want to know what is involved here it is:
Overview http://uscis.gov/graphics/services/residency/family.htm

A lawful permanent resident is a foreign national who has been granted the privilege of permanently living and working in the United States. If you want to become a lawful permanent resident based on the fact that you have a relative who is a citizen of the United States or a relative who is a lawful permanent resident, you must go through a multi-step process.

First, the USCIS must approve an immigrant visa petition, I-130 Petition for Alien Relative for you. This petition is filed by your relative (sponsor) and must be accompanied by proof of your relationship to the requesting relative.

Second, the Department of State must determine if an immigrant visa number is immediately available to you, the foreign national, even if you are already in the United States. When an immigrant visa number becomes immediately available to you, it means that you can apply to have one of the immigrant visa numbers assigned to you. You can check the status of a visa number in the Department of State's Visa Bulletin.

Third, if you are already in the United States, you may apply to change your status to that of a lawful permanent resident after a visa number becomes available for you. This is one way you can apply to secure an immigrant visa number. Click here for application procedures for becoming a lawful permanent resident while in the United States. If you are outside the United States when an immigrant visa number becomes available for you, you must then go to the U.S. consulate servicing the area in which you reside to complete your processing. This is the other way in which you can apply to secure an immigrant visa number.
Note: Information concerning the new K (advance admission for the spouse and children of a U.S. citizen) and new V (advance admission for the spouse and the minor children of a lawful permanent resident) nonimmigrant categories is available but not yet incorporated here. For updates on the Legal Immigration Family Equity (LIFE) Act, please click here.
the links probably won't work but you can go to the site if you are brave enough to take this on. Good Luck! :glasses:

My wife and I are almost there......I figure 2 or 3 months more. It is a long, hard process, but in my case worth every minute for mi esposa.

-Tim