Legislators Juice Their Pay 67%

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
As reported in DR1 News, Dominican legislators voted last october to increase their total compensation by 67%. The salary of one legislator is now equal to salary of 30 Dominicans. That would be equivalent to a US Congressman making US$1Million a year.

This, of course, should not come as a surprise. Leonel's 2005 budget is 63% more than Hipolito's 2004 budget. That money has to go somewhere. So....it might as well go into the politicians' pockets.

I don't know what saddens me more: a) the bottom feeding DR politicians, or b) the flaccid response from the affected DR masses.

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
mondongo said:
As reported in DR1 News, Dominican legislators voted last october to increase their total compensation by 67%. The salary of one legislator is now equal to salary of 30 Dominicans. That would be equivalent to a US Congressman making US$1Million a year.

This, of course, should not come as a surprise. Leonel's 2005 budget is 63% more than Hipolito's 2004 budget. That money has to go somewhere. So....it might as well go into the politicians' pockets.

I don't know what saddens me more: a) the bottom feeding DR politicians, or b) the flaccid response from the affected DR masses.

They should make a great living.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
mondongo said:

I know the feeling, mondongo.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
mondongo said:
I really doubt that Leonel can do anything about it, remember that the PLD has no control of either chambers. However, I totally agree with you, most days I wish that some form of mutant bubonic plague would attack our legislators. :cross-eye

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Pib said:
I really doubt that Leonel can do anything about it, remember that the PLD has no control of either chambers. However, I totally agree with you, most days I wish that some form of mutant bubonic plague would attack our legislators. :cross-eye
Point in case!

The PRD is in control of both chambers, and if history says anything, these people don't care about the country at all...

At the very least, we can all hope these legislators increase their consumption rates with their extra cash at hand. At least, that would help the economy! ;)

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I don't have political allegiance

The national budget is , in general, set forth by the Presidency. Leonel is accountable for the DR$208Billion budget. This budget is scandalous by all measures. It facilitates and institutionalizes more and deeper corruption. Once the govt gets your money and your freedoms, they never give them back.

One of the reasons given for the massive increase in the budget is the need to pay the debt. What has started to happen instead is that all DR follk tentacled to the Govt (PLD,PRD, et al) will demand their cut of the excess DR$60Billion+.

Leonel is pulling the wool over your eyes, with nearly no exceptions.

BTW...it was -10F last night. By the end of Sunday morning , we will have over 2 feet of snow...ouch

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Mondongo, you seem to forget that the legislators (and I can't recall the last time that the PRD did NOT control both chambers) do that every two years or so. I am no fan of any politician, but let's be fair, we cannot blame Leonel for what that bunch of vultures are doing. I am sure I will have a newspaper-long list of things to reproach at the end of Leonel's presidency, but that one won't be one of them.

"Todo lo que pasa en el infierno se le pega al diablo".

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002