Birds in Santiago

blueigris

Jul 21, 2004
Hola! I am new to the area and had a few questions :glasses:
1) Does anyone know of a good guide book to the DR birds and flora? Spanish and English preferably
2) Are there any good places in the Santiago area to go bird watching?
3) Any good mountain biking?

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
do a search for any posts by "hillbilly". actually click here and you will be able to email or pm him directly.

he is a DR1 member from Santiago who will have a wealth of info for you.

here is a book he recommended in the past:

Aves de la Rep?blica Dominicana
Anabelle Stockton de Dodd
Museo Nacional de Historia Natural

regards,
mob

blueigris

Jul 21, 2004
mobrouser said:
do a search for any posts by "hillbilly". actually click here and you will be able to email or pm him directly.

he is a DR1 member from Santiago who will have a wealth of info for you.

here is a book he recommended in the past:

Aves de la Rep?blica Dominicana
Anabelle Stockton de Dodd
Museo Nacional de Historia Natural

regards,
mob

Hey Mob, thank you for the info., I'll try doing a search for hillbilly.

dogstar

Oct 24, 2004
blueigris said:
Hola! I am new to the area and had a few questions :glasses:
1) Does anyone know of a good guide book to the DR birds and flora? Spanish and English preferably
2) Are there any good places in the Santiago area to go bird watching?
3) Any good mountain biking?
most of birds in the dr have been eaten.
if you se any, don't tell anyone where it is.

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Rara avis.

Way back, In my boyhood in DR., I remember seeing long legged,grey wading birds called "bucarus". They had a beautiful sound/song that is hard to describe. People used to keep them as pets. apparently, they were flightless for they stayed in peoples yards.....Anyone know what I'm describing here? Ever heard of a BUCARU?

blueigris

Jul 21, 2004
Bucaro

I think you are talking about a Double-Striped Thick Knee (Alcavaran Americano). Go to google and type the common name, you should be able to find a picture of it.
Take Care ;)

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Los Haitises

Bluegris,

Just visited Los Haitises and I was quite impressed by the birdlife there. It might be of interest to you.

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Beautiful bird!

blueigris said:
I think you are talking about a Double-Striped Thick Knee (Alcavaran Americano). Go to google and type the common name, you should be able to find a picture of it.
Take Care ;)
Yes, thank you very much blueigris, it sure looks like the bird I remember! I wonder if it has become extint in DR. because no one seemed to know what it was when asked about it. Would you let me know if you come across one while visiting DR? Thanks again.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
There are still Bucaros

People used to keep them around the house to eat cockroaches.

Unfortunately, some people eat them. As far as I know all birds in the DR are supposed to be "Protected" but that is worth a row of pee pee holes in the snow as far as effective enforcement is concerned.

But yes, there are still bucaros around. At the PUCMM this afternoon I watched a small band of parrots fly, raucausly, overhead...smiled a bit...

HB :D:D

BTW: I remember back when we were tracking that hawk down from Canada and bak, somebody mentioned a more up-to-date book than Dodd's...This was like two years ago?? Search * Hawk* and see what come up/

mariaobetsanov

Jan 2, 2002
Birds At the PUMMA

I live within the green zone that runs by the main gate, every day I see many birds that I do not see anywhere else. The greenbelts running aong the many rivers still hold wild life.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Common Birds of the Dominican Republic is in English, relatively new, and is on sale at the Helen Kellogg library in Santo Domingo, as well as elsewhere.

You can also order it from this site.

Another useful link.

Last edited:

blueigris

Jul 21, 2004
Thank you to all

I didn't know you guys had answered. I just bought the new guide to the West Indies via internet and I am still waiting for it. Today a saw something that looked like a kestrel but I didn't get a good look at it (I was rushing for class).
Take care all and thanks again