words(chula, chulo,etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

britishgirl

Aug 28, 2004
what does chulo mean? annnnd what does chula mean? i have the dictionary definition but somone told me that was wrong.

project9

May 29, 2004
Chulo could be a few things. Kids use it for saying something's "cool" like: "Eso ta' chulo" | "That's cool". Also a chulo is like a sankie who "works" with dominican women the same way regular sankies do with gringas. And the last meaning i have in my memory would be the same as a pimp.

chica

Feb 9, 2004
chula

I heard that when they say chula to a girl/woman chula means that you are cute.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
The most frequently-used version of the word "chulo" that I've heard is pimp.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
What was the definition you had from the dictionary?

chulo & chulo/a have varies meanings and the signifcance is regional.

It can mean:

chulo= proxeneta= "a pimp"

chulo/a= algo bonito, gracioso

chulo/a = "cute"

-Lesley D-

britishgirl said:
what does chulo mean? annnnd what does chula mean? i have the dictionary definition but somone told me that was wrong.

Last edited:

britishgirl

Aug 28, 2004
well, wen i hear people say "chula!!!" an stuff like that i was wondering what it meant. the dictionary definition is pimp/prostitute. someone else told me it meant "cool"...so i was confused

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
It can mean cool, it can mean pimp. Chula I have no idea. In Venezuela when someone is chulandote it means they are not paying their fair share. For example if only one person has a pack of cigarettes and the whole group smokes them on you. Or if you are always the one paying for something.

Victor Laszlo

Bronze
Aug 24, 2004
Cute pimps? Cool prostitutes?

Lesley D said:
chulo & chulo/a has varies meanings and the signifcance is regional.-Lesley D-
It seems that using chulo/chula in the wrong place or context could get one in a spot of trouble. :eek:

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
britishgirl said:
what does chulo mean? annnnd what does chula mean? i have the dictionary definition but somone told me that was wrong.[/QUOTE

Lately many in the DR use it to describe pimps. (Chulo) .

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Not really...

Victor,

Not wanting to get too grammatical but if you understand the context you should be able use it correctly. One aspect you must realize from a grammatical standpoint is:

"chulo" as a noun= "pimp".

"chulo" or "chula" as an adjective = cute, cool, etc.

Examples from the dictionary:

1). Llevas unos pantalones muy chulos. (?chulo? in this phrase is an adjective meaning ?cool? with respect to the pants)

--"chulo" is pluralized thus "chulos" because "pantalones" is plural.

2) Un chulo es un hombre que trafica con prostitutas y vive de ellas (diccionario elmundo.es). (?chulo? in this phrase is a noun describing what a "chulo" is )

From the context you should be able to decipher the difference in meaning when used by anyone.

-Lesley D-

Victor Laszlo said:
It seems that using chulo/chula in the wrong place or context could get one in a spot of trouble. :eek:

Last edited:

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
trina said:
You're hanging out with the wrong people! LOL :ermm: :classic:

i was talking to a dominican at the time and asked... they told me thats what a lot of people use for slang for honey...

.... my bad.... next time ill run my posts by you before i post .. :rolleyes:

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Sorry, i was really, honestly, just joking. There is such a huge difference between honey and pimp (that point can be argued, depending on who it is ;) ), but then again, there's a huge difference between cute and pimp, as well, and both of these are valid. I've never heard anyone affectionately call anyone else chulo/a...it's always been used in my presence as a derogatory name (maybe I'm the one hanging out with the wrong people!). Didn't mean to be disrespectful, I just thought it quite funny.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
trina said:
Sorry, i was really, honestly, just joking. There is such a huge difference between honey and pimp (that point can be argued, depending on who it is ;) ), but then again, there's a huge difference between cute and pimp, as well, and both of these are valid. I've never heard anyone affectionately call anyone else chulo/a...it's always been used in my presence as a derogatory name (maybe I'm the one hanging out with the wrong people!). Didn't mean to be disrespectful, I just thought it quite funny.

I've been corrected by my husband, who has informed me that "chula" can mean "honey", but you normally wouldn't call a man a "chulo", unless you were calling him a "pimp". This version is not so widely used in his part of the country - if you were to say "chula", it's in reference to something "bonita" - even a person. Honestly, I'd never heard it used that way. "Chulo" is more commonly used for pimp. So "la barbie", I again apologize.

Miamimike

Jan 16, 2005
britishgirl said:

If its preficed by the word Papi--"Papichulo"--somones got a "Sugardaddy". Here in Miami,used often in this manner by the Cubanas.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Again?!!

There was a thread a few months ago by someone asking the same thing.

After a whole bunch of posts, it seemed that EVERYBODY had a different meaning of the word "chulo/chula".

It has been used as meaning honey, sweetie, cute, pimp, a bitc*, cool, nice, playboy among other definitions.

It depends on the person's mood or how the person is saying it.

Example: Spect a smile and a thank you if you say: "Those pants are chulos, they look great on you".

Expect a beating if you say: "You are a fricking chulo, always bedding easy women/men or getting easy women/men for your friends". Get it??.

By the way, sankies are called chulos/chulas sometimes.

Last edited:

Victor Laszlo

Bronze
Aug 24, 2004
It's never enough

miguel said:
There was a thread a few months ago by someone asking the same thing.

After a whole bunch of posts, it seemed that EVERYBODY had a different meaning of the word "chulo/chula".

It has been used as meaning honey, sweetie, cute, pimp, a bitc*, cool, nice, among other definitions.

It depends on the person's mood or how the person is saying it.

Example: Spect a smile and a thank you if you say: "Those pants are chulos, they look great on you".

Expect a beating if you say: "You are a fricking chulo, always bedding easy women/men or getting easy women/men for your friends". Get it??.

By the way, sankies are called chulos/chulas sometimes.
Say, you wouldn't happen to know what "gringo" means, would ya?

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Of course!!

Victor Laszlo said:
Say, you wouldn't happen to know what "gringo" means, would ya?
Do a "search" and there is a brand new thread asking for the definition of that word and again you will see a whole bunch of people with difference of opinions.

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
I think he's just being sarcastic. He knows the true meaning(Gringo). He's just pulling your arm!

Status
Not open for further replies.