Moonrise from the sea - Where in the DR?

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
My local dentist appears to be a DR fan as well.
He told me he visited a friend in the DR who's house is overlooking the sea and he can actually see the moon rise from the sea in late afternoon. He told me it was such a beautiful sight.
I have been wondering on which side of the island this is possible? It isn't the North Coast because there I saw the moon climbing above the hills behind the beach. My guess is the South or the Punta Cana area?
Anyone seen this? Does it have to be an exceptionally clear day to see the moon so low above the horizon?
Bartolomeo

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I would suspect that this is subject to geographic location and time of the year (and of course time of night) Of course I know chit about atronomy so someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Last night when flying from PC to POP the moon was full on the north shore about 45 degrees up towards the north around 8 pm. It was beautiful until we hit POP area and then of course the rain storms started tossing our little plane around and covering up the moon.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
The place is Barahona, the beautiful sight is augmented by the yellow-orange hues caused by the silica sand dust blowing out to sea from Bani and other arid regions in the South.

Mirador

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
As the moon generally rises in the east and sets in the west, the eastern end of the island will witness the moon rising from the sea. Here in Las Galeras it rises just to the east of the tip of Cape Samana and casts a lovely silver path across Las Galeras bay.

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
Correct that 'east' is the way to look, which is certainly where you are in Las Galeras, Andy. Barahona has must have similar position since there is such a stretch of water to the east of the whole southern peninsula. I now remember a dominican painter from SD once told me he went to Barahona to paint the full moon above the sea.
Thanks Mirador and Andy, I found myself a new motive to plan a next trip to the DR soon. ;)
Bartolomeo

Buzzard

Feb 28, 2004
Costambar
Moon over Cofresi

East is east and West is........

I have seen the moon rising from the sea while sitting at Cris & Matty's in Cofresi. As that restaurant is firmly situated on the North Coast, I'm not so sure about the previous theories. Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
A beautiful sight to behold.....

........just after Christmas, my wife and I were sitting on our rooftop terrace as a big full moon broke through the horizon. I swear, it looked like the ocean was giving birth to the moon. Our house is on the beach on the east end of Cabarete(north coast) That night, the sky was crystal clear. Most nights, there is a cloud bank on the horizon or a haze, so rarely is it clear enough on the horizon to see this happen, but, if it is, all I can say is "WOW"

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
Moon theories

Buzzard said:
East is east and West is........
I have seen the moon rising from the sea while sitting at Cris & Matty's in Cofresi. As that restaurant is firmly situated on the North Coast, I'm not so sure about the previous theories. Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Looks like we need to get the astronomists in... ;)
I just took my DR map out and my conclusion at this moment is that as long as you can look out over the ocean towards the East without land in sight, it is possible to see the moon rise from the ocean in the East, no matter if you are on the North Coast or on the South (Barahona to Isla Beata).
If you look on the map, you'll see that the North Coast is not exactly running nicely west-east but rather northwest-southeast. That would be why in Cofresi and Cabarete and certainly from Cabrera to Nagua, you can have this experience, but not in Sosua. This is because the bay of Playa Sosua is oriented towards the West which is why you can see the sun set in the ocean there.
**Bartolomeo**