Bringing coffee home?

Sunny44

Jul 24, 2002
Hi everyone!
Am finally going on vacation in Februrary! Cant wait! Does anyone know if there is a limit to how much coffee one can bring back to the US? Can I bring a suitcase full????? What about cinnamon and vanilla?
Thanks for your input!
Sunny

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
I can only answer your vanilla question. I always bring back 3 big gallons for my brother who has a chocolate store in Canada. Never was asked about it! ;)

Sunny44

Jul 24, 2002
juanita said:
I can only answer your vanilla question. I always bring back 3 big gallons for my brother who has a chocolate store in Canada. Never was asked about it! ;)
Do you declare (sp?) it? Or smuggle it?

A.J.

Jan 2, 2002
In the US you can bring back as much coffee as you want. In other countries there are limits to coffee.

I have brought back a whole suitcase full, the only problem is coffee is used to sover the scent of cocaine so I was checked in Miami - that was a pleasent experience.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Expect Customs or the USDA to open and dump every single bag of it so have a plastic bag available or better yet, buy 20 pounds and put it all in a big bag before you go - my friend brings back 10# or so and does this after having the authorities every time open them all. The dogs scent on coffee as a mask for drugs.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Sunny44 said:
Do you declare (sp?) it? Or smuggle it?

I just innocently say, I'm bringing back ?some? vanilla in my bags. I always carry the bill with me just in case they want to check the value. :bandit:
I have been doing it for 10 years and never had a problem!

johnsr

Bronze
Apr 13, 2002
Each trip I bring back (10) one lb. bags of coffee. In the past 15 or more trips I have never experienced any problems with customs at JFK airport. I have also never seen a dog in the customs area!
John

Coffee

ricktoronto said:
Expect Customs or the USDA to open and dump every single bag of it so have a plastic bag available or better yet, buy 20 pounds and put it all in a big bag before you go - my friend brings back 10# or so and does this after having the authorities every time open them all. The dogs scent on coffee as a mask for drugs.

I bring back 5 or 6 pounds every trip and have never had the bags searched, and the dogs were present on the last 2 occasions.

drtampa

Bronze
Oct 1, 2004
New Ulm, TX
Coffee through Miami

We bring back 15-20 bags each year through Miami and we have never been stopped. I show coffee on the customs form. We take large Zip-lock bags and put the bagged coffee in them.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
johnsr said:
Each trip I bring back (10) one lb. bags of coffee. In the past 15 or more trips I have never experienced any problems with customs at JFK airport. I have also never seen a dog in the customs area!
John
I once got busted by the food doggie. He made a mistake and I told the guy to retire the dog. Went through luggage to find FOOD of all things.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Coffee, vanilla and cinnamon.

A lot of people brung these items home without trouble.
May I suggest a few precautions?
Have baggies ready, as was suggested above, in case they do dump it at customs, and buy it in grain form and freeze it upon your arrival, so as to keep it fresh.
Make double sure that the vanilla bottles are well sealed, as a vanilla accident in your suitcase is a heck of a mess.
Buy cinnamon in packages, as customs may have a problem with it, unless it comes in a sealed envelope.

Sunny44

Jul 24, 2002
Rocky said:
A lot of people brung these items home without trouble.
May I suggest a few precautions?
Have baggies ready, as was suggested above, in case they do dump it at customs, and buy it in grain form and freeze it upon your arrival, so as to keep it fresh.
Make double sure that the vanilla bottles are well sealed, as a vanilla accident in your suitcase is a heck of a mess.
Buy cinnamon in packages, as customs may have a problem with it, unless it comes in a sealed envelope.
Thank you for the tips! I used to live in the DR and have become an "expert" packer! I was already planning on bringing lots of ziploc bags for my "loot"! We used to bring all kinds of stuff down there from buying trips to Miami. My partner was not as diligent as I when packing his suitcase and ended up with motor oil all over his clothes! What a mess! Even the chloro didnt get that out! LOL
Might be an idea for a new thread? What;s the stangest thing you have packed in a suitcase to bring home or to bring to the DR?