Dominicans in North Carolina

Chilipepper

Mar 28, 2003
My family and I are considering moving to North Carolina. I was wondering if there are any domincians that currently live there and in what area. Any info will be really apprecaited. Thanks.

Reactions: mike l

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
There's a NC thread already that I would urge you to read. Just go and do a quick search on the words North Carolina and Dominicans.

North Carolina has some areas with a growing Dominican community. Mostly around the military bases and branching out from there.

Best of Luck,
Deelt

Reactions: mike l

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
I was quite surpised on my last visit to whilmington n.c. back in june how much the latino community has grown!!!

I used to hate N.C. when my sisters first moved there...just thought it as some racist rednecked place. But i have to say over the post 12 or so years i have come to like it there and see that race relations have eased considerably. Oh..it is definitely still "country".....but things are a changing. It is definitely a move worth looking into.

shelby

Jun 26, 2004
welcome

I am glad to read the last reponse i would hate for anyone to have that type of opinion of my state. I am a homeowner in sousa and also here in the north carolina mountains if there is anyway i can be of service feel free to contact me . I have had the pleasure many a time in sousa to be welcomed by my dominican friends it will certainly be my pleasure to welcome you. Shelby

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
Beautiful mountains and some of the nicest houses in the South. Raleight and Durham were pretty nice to visit. Some racial tension because white and black people didn't know what to make of me, I'm right in between when it comes to skin tone and the way I speak is not ghetto, at least not in person. But if there were any Dominicans there, they'd all be near Ft. Bragg or Fayetteville aka Fayettenam. Now I feel like going down there, it's been 6 months.

lynshuk

Aug 11, 2006
Dominicans hairstylist in Charlotte anyone?

I desperately need a dominican hairstylist in Charlotte. If only I could convince my dominican hairstylist(s) in NY to move down here, they would be a hot commodity.

cuas

May 29, 2006
My daughter goes to college in Greensboro. She found somebody asking a Dominican in a supermarket, but she works at home. She moved from NY. I do not know how far it is from Charlotte.

cuas

May 29, 2006
My daughter goes to college in Greensboro. She found somebody asking a Dominican in a supermarket, but she works at home. She moved from NY. I do not know how far it is from Charlotte.

NCScott

Jun 2, 2006
spaces.msn.com
My wife is Dominican and we live in Sanford, in the center of NC. Sanford is a small city, about an hour south of the capital city of Raleigh, and about 45 minutes northwest of the main military city Fayetteville (Fort Bragg).
There are several Dominican families here. We have a Compare Foods, a Dominican owned supermarket, a new Dominican restaurant called El Rancho downtown opened by some of our friends that also have a restaurant in New York, a bail bonding company, and a karate class owned and operated by a Dominican man. My wife is hooping to add to the Dominican business presence here soon also... she is studying cosmetology and hoping to have her own shop here soon.
I am 31 and from NC originally. I would be glad to offer any information that I can to assist. From the mountains in the west to the beaches on the east, NC has so much to offer!

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
There is a large (primarily illegal) Latino community in the Hickory/Lincolnton area, which includes some Dominicans, although most are Mexican and Costa Rican. Many work in the furniture factories, where the "locals" are unwilling to work for what the manufacturers are willing to pay. At Fantasia night club in Hickory you can dance Bachata and Merengue any Friday or Saturday night (although they play mostly Reggaeton).

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Greensboro is

about 90 miles North of Charlotte via interstate 85.

djojolove

Feb 17, 2007
My wife is Dominican and we live in Sanford, in the center of NC. Sanford is a small city, about an hour south of the capital city of Raleigh, and about 45 minutes northwest of the main military city Fayetteville (Fort Bragg).
There are several Dominican families here. We have a Compare Foods, a Dominican owned supermarket, a new Dominican restaurant called El Rancho downtown opened by some of our friends that also have a restaurant in New York, a bail bonding company, and a karate class owned and operated by a Dominican man. My wife is hooping to add to the Dominican business presence here soon also... she is studying cosmetology and hoping to have her own shop here soon.
I am 31 and from NC originally. I would be glad to offer any information that I can to assist. From the mountains in the west to the beaches on the east, NC has so much to offer!

hello ncscott we just move to nc in greenville area 1.5 hour from raleigh we heard on the radio something about a super market there , we are willing to go there and buy but we don't know exactly were it's can you please help us .. djojolove@hotmail.com

djojolove

Feb 17, 2007
hello ncscott we just move to nc in greenville area 1.5 hour from raleigh we heard on the radio something about a super market there , we are willing to go there and buy but we don't know exactly were it's can you please help us .. djojolove@hotmail.com

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
My family and I are considering moving to North Carolina. I was wondering if there are any domincians that currently live there and in what area. Any info will be really apprecaited. Thanks.

oooff there are lots of Dominicans living there. I know a few that own supermarkets and cousins that moved there a few months ago.

kiri00

Apr 6, 2007
hello!
I know a beauty salon in charlotte.nc.
Kiri's Unisex Salon
4401 E. Independence Blvd
Charlotte.NC 28205
704 537-0507
By appoit:
Ada is owner hair stylist
Beautyful location clean friendly..you should check it out. good luck hope you like it...

BIZC8

Dec 21, 2006
Few of us in SC too!

There's a considerable number of Dominicans in South Carolina as well, namely in the city of Rock Hill (suburb of Charlotte across the state line).

We all pretty much know each other from going to the same Christian church in Charlotte, NC.

If you'd like to meet and gather with us, send me a PM.

God bless.

Chilipepper

Mar 28, 2003
2 years!

Well we moved 2 years ago and we have adjusted really well. We have met quite a few Dominicans here. There are many Dominican businesses here and I hear that a Dominican Club is on the way!

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Well we moved 2 years ago and we have adjusted really well. We have met quite a few Dominicans here. There are many Dominican businesses here and I hear that a Dominican Club is on the way!

what city are you in and referring to?