Chacabana

Justintime

Aug 18, 2004
Oscar de la Renta apparently sees a use for them. Some say they are good for dressing up anytime. I'd like to know what our beloved DR1 posters have so say in answer to;
Chacabanas - thumbs up or thumbs down.
- when appropriate...or not
- what about a gringo in one?

Okay...let's hear it. :)

Smiles and sun to all.

Justin

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
If golo were still around we'd be measuring his reaction on the richter scale. Do a search on chacabana and guayabera and you'll see what I mean.

I think they are for old men. They have an old fashioned feel to them.

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
Chirimoya said:
If golo were still around we'd be measuring his reaction on the richter scale. Do a search on chacabana and guayabera and you'll see what I mean.

I think they are for old men. They have an old fashioned feel to them.

Well, I like guayaberas. Some of them are very nice and if you are not fat, they fit very well. In the USA they are known as "Cuban Shirts" and rightly so, since they were born in Cuba and they can be worn on many occasions. In Mexico they like them too. I just don't know how that name "chacabana" came about. It does not even sound good. I like Guayabera. Do Dominican men wear them a lot or is their reputation in the DR not as good as it is in Cuba? For tropical countries, they are perfect. Even Filipinos developed their own form of Guayabera which they named the barong tagalog.

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
I used to think they were for older Latin men. Then a buddy of mine (early 20's gringo) wore out out to dinner at a nice resaurant for my wifes birthday here in Salt Lake. He looked really sharp. So I plan to pick one up the next time I am in DR.

chola1978

Bronze
Mar 20, 2006
Guayaberas are usually consider a sign of power and maturity.. but today designers are giving a new feel to it.. I invite all to visit our site .Bienvenidos al Web Site de Arcadio D?az to judge for your self.
Att
Albin...
Mike your welcome to stop by and see the process once we open our factory.

chola1978

Bronze
Mar 20, 2006
Ah before I get a bunch of comments from those that think that Chacabanas/guayaberas are for chopos...
Please understand that is in our culture to wear them on occasions where you need to be formal but weather does not permit a suit..
now I dont know many chopos tha own Arcadio or hipolito's guayavera.
The reason why i am even writing about this topic is because I want to know how many of us where this shirt or how many of us will consider wearing a new style guayabera...
El respecto al derecho ajeno ........la paz// in those lines as B.Juarez said.

Feb 7, 2007
I have couple of short-sleeved single-colored ones. They look good and I only heard comments that they looked nice.

The first one I bought without even knowing what I was buing :) was at Jumbo in Santiago a year ago.

chola1978

Bronze
Mar 20, 2006
In about 4 weeks Ill be making tours of our factory so you can see how Guayaberas are made...
Zona Franca Santiago....
Rubio_higuey if your are in town shoot me a message And I ll give you a tour...

Lucille

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Only elegant and prestige men wear chacabanas, as doctors, lawyers, executives.... chola 1978 congratulations for that nice business, good luck....rubio-higuey you are one of that group.......

Reactions: A.Hidalgo

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
You will never be consider a chopo if you wear a guayabera. And if you do wear one you must be confident about it...........there's a certain 'yo no se que' that comes from wearing a guayabera......and if you add a hat, wow, it completes the look.......its true that it gives you a mature kinda of look.....so if anyone is planning on wearing a guayabera you must do a whole analysis of the look you want to portrait...........

lasalsa

Apr 9, 2008
I have about 5 of them. White, Lt Blue, Black, Tan and Dark Blue. All short sleeve.

I wore the white one with some fitted black/gold pin-stripe slacks and leather sandals this past Saturday as we hosted a party at our house. Most of the Guests were Argentine and American. There was a sense of feeling when I opened the door to greet the guests with the Guayabera. All of them went "WOW/NICE".. Where do I get them? Towards the end of the night I went to my Humidor and pulled a Romeo&Julieta and placed it on my top Pocket.. BAM.. Finishing touch!

Once in a whole I wear one around town with some slacks or Jeans and people KNOW I'm not local to here..

S

sokitoumi

seems like a fancy name for a shirt to me .......how would I spot one of these miraculous garments

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
what the heck is chacabana? i did google search and it showed variety of things including a picture of britney spears behind - without ropa interior for that matter. i wasn't ready, my eyes hurt.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
seems like a fancy name for a shirt to me .......how would I spot one of these miraculous garments

locostyle_2013_6132830

There are short and long sleeve. The classy long sleeve models (called Guayabera in the DR) will have the old style flip over cuffs.
Only in the DR have I seen that they'd call only long sleeve versions "Guayabera" and the short sleeve version Chacabana. Cubans and most South Americans refer to the short sleeved version or both as Guayabera.

Guayabera can be worn at high class social gatherings, paired with white or black slacks and quality matching shoes. A quality hat and maybe some gold here and there. A quality Guayabera can easily cost USD 200.oo and up at fine gentlemen's boutiques in major cities of Latin America.

The key is quality. So, you want to be extra careful whom you buy from:

2h57mrt.jpg

'Cause if you happen to be taken for the fake stuff, you may soon find yourself surrounded by folk who prefer to wear nothing at all.

bush_africans.jpg

and will never look like the real deal:

wily-chirino-guayabera.JPG
jorge%20mas%20canosa%20y%20reagan-def.jpg
mostrar_imagen.php

:D ... J-D.