staying in rented Villas

canada_ang

Jan 26, 2005
I'm thinking about staying in a rented Villa in Perla Marina near Sosua. While I don't want to be in the main resort areas, I do want a little bit of privacy. How far would I be from the main action in Sosua? Will I have to drive everywhere? How are the beaches right there?

Any feedback from people who have stayed in any of these villas (or similar)would be appreciated.

Thanks...

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Perla Marina is closer to Cabarete than to Sosua, but both easy to get to. Publicos (public cars) and guaguas are passing very frequently pass the entrance to the road leading into Perla Marina. Simply walk out to the highway and if you want to go to Cabarete, cross the highway and wait on the other side. Waiting on the Pearla Marina side will position you to go to Sosua. Publicos are cars with a blue box sign on the roof. Guaguas are mostly vans, though there are a few buses. Generally, the drivers seeing you waiting will toot. Just signal with your hand that you want them to stop. It will cost you no more than RD$10 each way to go to either Cabarete and Sosua. It is probably less for Dominicans, but to avoid problems and serious over charging, when you get out, give the driver and collector RD$10 and walk away. It pays to have correct change if you don't know the price and don't speak Spanish. In Cabarete, get off anywhere. The highway is the main street. In Sosua, get off at Texaco station and walk down the side street into town.

In Cabarete, to get back to Perla Marina, just stand by the highway (it is Cabarete's main street) and flag down a publico or guagua heading toward Sosua. When you get to the entry road to Perla Marina, tell the driver to stop. To get to PM from Sosua, walk to the highway and cross over. The publicos leave from a "terminal" across from the Texaco station. You can wait for the guagua anywhere. Again, when you get to your entry road, tell driver to stop.

If it sounds confusing, don't worry. It is actually very easy.

There are some very nice people living in Perla Marina. Quiet area.

Taxis are also available, but with public trasportion charging only RD$10 each way, you would be foolish to pay RD$200 to a taxi each way unless it is in the night.

canada_ang

Jan 26, 2005
One more thing...

Thank you. One more thing...in Perla Marina, has anyone ever heard of Villa Brigitte? From the pictures online, it looks nice and is fairly reasonable.

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
The beach in susua is the best in the puerto plata region. Lots of people and activities like jet ski, banaboat.