Passport

Willie

Sep 30, 2004
Could anyone say how strict DR immigration is in enforcing the rule that US passports must have at least 6 months before expiration?

I just discovered that mine expires in May and I am booked to travel in mid February.

Willie

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
If that is a strictly enforced rule, or even a rule, it is one I've never heard of. Surely of all the people traveling to the DR, somebody would have run afoul of such rule by now and reported it on this board.

Americans don't even need a passport to visit the DR.

sunrunner

Jan 10, 2005
Just my 2 cents worth.

We are given the same advice here in Canada. (Make sure your passport does not expire within 6 months of travelling.) As far as how sticky the DR is - I just travelled to Punta Cana at Xmas time and met a couple who were Canadian that were travelling with expired passports. The passports had been checked numerous times at the airport both arriving and departing and no one seemed to pick up on it.
Personally I think the advice is given more for when returning to your home country. I know here in Canada the customs officials would want other proof of citizenship when allowing a Canadian to re-enter Canada if their passport were expired.

BigCity27

Mar 4, 2004
i don't even think they've ever looked at that part of my passport. they alway just flip to the back & stamp.

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
US and Canadians citizens don't need passports to enter DR. You can use your Drivers License and birth certificate. Your passport that you have is ok. As long as it's still valid. Some people do travel with expired passport, all they need is a notized letter from a lawyer.

windrifter

Dec 29, 2004
6 mth expiry deadline

The rule when travelling using a Canadian passport as official means of identification is that the passport is used within the 6 mth expiry period. This usually ensures that even with unexpected travel delays, loss of documents etc. etc. the document will still be valid upon return . you note I did use the word "unexpected". The Dominican Republic does not officially require passport I.D. from Canadians. As the others say birth certificates etc. are satisfactory but, any form of official I.D. when used no matter what country you are entering or departing is expected to be ,and should be valid. If stopped on the road, would you hand a cop an expired driving licence in your own country? I think not!! Common courtesy and respect for the laws of the land no matter what country you are in should be your byword weather you agree or diagree with them.

Windrifter (Elizabeth)

windrifter

Dec 29, 2004
6 mth expiry deadline

The rule when travelling using a Canadian passport as official means of identification is that the passport is used within the 6 mth expiry period. This usually ensures that even with unexpected travel delays, loss of documents etc. etc. the document will still be valid upon return . you note I did use the word "unexpected". The Dominican Republic does not officially require passport I.D. from Canadians and many other countries. As the others say birth certificates etc. are satisfactory but, any form of official I.D. when used no matter what country you are entering or departing is expected to be ,and should be valid. If stopped on the road, would you hand a cop an expired driving licence in your own country? I think not!! Common courtesy and respect for the laws of the land no matter what country you are in should be your byword whether you agree or disagree with them.

Windrifter (Elizabeth)

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
Forget about the six month expiry rule you are mentioning, I once lost my passport the night before and they let me leave the country with my drivers license only. They really dont care, but your entry point would have to deal with the problem.

desiluna

Dec 22, 2004
do I need a passport?

Willie said:
Could anyone say how strict DR immigration is in enforcing the rule that US passports must have at least 6 months before expiration?

I just discovered that mine expires in May and I am booked to travel in mid February.

Willie

Hi my aunt is traveling from PR to DR does she needs a passport to go from one island to another? I am meeting her there I already have mine Im coming from the US.

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
desiluna said:
Hi my aunt is traveling from PR to DR does she needs a passport to go from one island to another? I am meeting her there I already have mine Im coming from the US.

U.S citizens do not require passport to enter the DR, but is recommended. However they can travel with Birth Certificate and Driver's Licence.

CLOAKED

Jul 6, 2004
www.santodomingodirect.com
Willie said:

Willie

just use your org birth cert. thats what i did and had no problem