Phone Calls

Bonita Morena

Sep 24, 2004
Hey Everyone
Has anyone had any trouble in the past few days trying to get through to people in Rio San Juan or Puerto Plata. I've been trying to get through to a friend of mine's cell and have had no such luck. Just wondering if anyone else has had the same problems. It's very frustrating!

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
To me, it seems that when it's raining a lot, we can't get through from Calgary. We'll call, there will be a click, and nothing happens, not even ringing. Or as soon as we dial, there will be a fast busy tone. Very frustrating.

MoReNiTa GuApA

Oct 8, 2004
Busy signals

Yes I find also that when it is raining alot in POP I can not get through and get that busy signal. Only happens when I use a calling card though. When I use a land line from Toronto I get through no problem..... only it cost alot more.

Does anyone know if there is a code that you can use from your cell phone to make long distance calls? i.e. For landlines you use something like 10-10-945 but that one doesn't work on cell phones.

MG

Bonita Morena

Sep 24, 2004
phone calls

I finally got thru yesterday in the early evening, but my calling card wouldn't work, I had to dial direct. Also the phone wasn't giving me a busy signal it was straight to voicemail. I've heard from a few people that even if there is no reception it could cause the phone to go directly to voicemail. I've been trying to call again today and I'm having the same troubles....this is very frustrating!

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
MoReNiTa GuApA said:
Yes I find also that when it is raining alot in POP I can not get through and get that busy signal. Only happens when I use a calling card though. When I use a land line from Toronto I get through no problem..... only it cost alot more.

Does anyone know if there is a code that you can use from your cell phone to make long distance calls? i.e. For landlines you use something like 10-10-945 but that one doesn't work on cell phones.

MG

I'm not sure if this will help you in Toronto, but I use Gorilla Mobile to call the DR from my cellphone.

www.gorillamobile.com

You call an access number in New York, get a dial tone, and then dial the # in the DR. It's 13 cents US/minute plus the cost of the call to NY, which for me is included in my plan. The charges are billed to a credit card.

Nov 5, 2004
Well to cut down on my $800 phone bills a friend of my receantly recommended and excellent calling card/company. its a www.g3telecom.com

8 cents a minute (canadian) to the DR cell phone or land line.

It is very good if you need to keep a record of calls made too..it automatically keeps a printable record of all calls you make. you don't need to carry a calling card around with you. Just set up whatever numbers you will be dialing from (i.e you give htem your home #, your cell phone, your work # and your best friends cell phone) and from all thoes numbers you just dial one number...and then the # you want to call. Otherwise if you are calling form another phone they will give you a pin to use.

But it is jsut alot more convienent then having to carry and go out and buy new phone cards all the time...plus it keeps a record of all the calls you make...if you should ever need that for the future...

bailarin

Sep 2, 2004
I agree

PeachezNcream84 said:
Well to cut down on my $800 phone bills a friend of my receantly recommended and excellent calling card/company. its a www.g3telecom.com

8 cents a minute (canadian) to the DR cell phone or land line.

It is very good if you need to keep a record of calls made too..it automatically keeps a printable record of all calls you make. you don't need to carry a calling card around with you. Just set up whatever numbers you will be dialing from (i.e you give htem your home #, your cell phone, your work # and your best friends cell phone) and from all thoes numbers you just dial one number...and then the # you want to call. Otherwise if you are calling form another phone they will give you a pin to use.

But it is jsut alot more convienent then having to carry and go out and buy new phone cards all the time...plus it keeps a record of all the calls you make...if you should ever need that for the future...
I have also been using this company and the rates are great...just remember to press the # key...lol .....I almost always sit and wait and neve hear anything until I dial the # sign. ooooppppppss

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
I live in Puerto Plata and I;ve had problems with land line, cell phone and internet lately. So have others I have spoken with. Some say it is connected with system changes to our numbers. Others say it is weather.

Whatever - it is Dominican!

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Yes I am aware of that. The problems have been going on for about 10 days and the 10 digits just started today. And, supposedly, the old numbers will work till July. Hmmmm I'm having problems with several different phones and lines......