Santiago to Los Charamicos

A

apostropheman

I'm flying into STI in May, instead of POP, and need to know my options for getting from the airport to Caribe Tours terminal. I arrive early afternoon on a friday.

Is there a Caribe tours bus from the airport? If not how difficult is it to get there. is a private taxi the best alternative or a public taxi?

I have been to Santiago by bus so once I get to the Caribe Tours terminal i'll be on more familiar ground but have not been to/from STI before.

Any help appriciated and a map showing the route from the airport to the bus terminal would be perfect.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You have a couple of alternatives

1) Grab a taxi there at the airport. At last report they charged RD$450 to take you into town. (15-20 minute ride). There is a Caribe Tour but later that afternoon to Sos?a.
2) You can PM me and I can point you towards a private car service that will make the run for $60 with a husband and wife team that have received good reports on their service.

Both services are efficient.

Cordially,

HB:D:D

A

apostropheman

Hillbilly said:
1) Grab a taxi there at the airport. At last report they charged RD$450 to take you into town. (15-20 minute ride). There is a Caribe Tour but later that afternoon to Sos?a.
2) You can PM me and I can point you towards a private car service that will make the run for $60 with a husband and wife team that have received good reports on their service.

Both services are efficient.

Cordially,

HB:D:D
Thank you for the quick reply.

That is about what I expected. I went shopping in Santiago with a friend and a cousin just before Xmas. We walked from Sosua to Los Charamicos along the beach and then the Caribe Tours bus to Santiago. After lunch we took a Caro Publico to the shopping area and back. We returned on a smaller bus to Puerto Plata and then took a Guagua to Sosua. A very interesting experience to be sure. The traffic and crowds were incredible. The total outlay for transportation for the 3 of us was far less that that although we did take a litle longer to get there.

I enjoyed the busride and look forward to taking it agian. I like to try and do things more like a local if I can. For me it's a large part of the experience.

Thanks again.
Info from a friend on another board:

First here is the best Santiago Map:

http://www1.tip.nl/~t794614/mapsantiago.htm

First disregard the airport on the map, the map is old and that is not the airport. That area is a jail and a huge PN station.

The map doesn't show the new airport. The Cibao airport is SW of the city.

They build a 4 lane road leading to the airport that connects with Autopista Duarte SW of the city. This is the road (in red) that ends at the SW corner of the map.

The other main road you want to find is Estrella Shadal?, this a major N-S road.

The Caribe Bus terminal is located at Estrella Shadal? & 27th de Feb. It is on 27th de Feb on the south side of the street. Look for the KFC, it's across from there.

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Caribe Tours has a bus leaving hourly from Santiago for Sosua. The bus terminal in Sosua is in Charamicos, as you know.

A

apostropheman

Ken said:
Caribe Tours has a bus leaving hourly from Santiago for Sosua. The bus terminal in Sosua is in Charamicos, as you know.

Thanks Ken,

as I recall the bus from Los Charamicos leaves on :20 but I don't know when it leaves from Santiago. Any idea?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
apostropheman said:
Thanks Ken,

as I recall the bus from Los Charamicos leaves on :20 but I don't know when it leaves from Santiago. Any idea?
Dude,
Send me an e-mail and I'll fix it up for you.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The taxi will take you to the Caribe Tour station

Which is located on Maimon and 27 de Febrero, a block west of Estrella Sadhal? . It it is across the street from Pollo Victorina. On the other side of the street used to be the Cine Doble, now reduced to rubble....

I'll post here tomorrow the schedule for buses to Sosua.

HB :D

A

apostropheman

Hillbilly said:
Which is located on Maimon and 27 de Febrero, a block west of Estrella Sadhal? . It it is across the street from Pollo Victorina. On the other side of the street used to be the Cine Doble, now reduced to rubble....

I'll post here tomorrow the schedule for buses to Sosua.

HB :D

Thanks Hillbilly!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
apostropheman said:
Thanks Ken,

It doesn't have a set schedule like the bus from Sosua because it depends on when the bus gets there from Santo Domingo. That can vary depending on highway conditions, the driver, etc. But as I recall, from the main terminal it is usually around :45, mas o menos. From the stop Hillbilly mentioned, it would be about :30, mas o menos. This stop is a little trickier as far as a time is concerned because the stop is just to let people off and pick up others. The bus is at the main terminal longer so that people can use the bathroom and get something to eat.

A

apostropheman

Thanks all

Hillbilly said:
Every hour at ten after from 8:10 a.m. until 9:10 at night

HB :D:D

Thank you Hillbilly, Ken, Rocky and those that PM'd me. This kind of help, dedication and friendship make this board, and in my opinion, the Dominican Republic wonderful. There are few places, real or virtual, that you can get such helpful and generous responses. Oh, and did I mention fast!

Cheers