Robert, Here's Your Marina!

Apr 26, 2002
In the recent "Malecon Center" thread, Robert repeatedly asked "what Marina"? Well, here it is: http://www.clavedigital.com.do/Secciones/Portada/Articulo.asp?Id_Articulo=2549

See also: http://www.globalgrp.com/ciudamar/home.html

The whole concept makes me sick - though it might not if they moved the whole thing a half-mile to the West. Let's hope it's a flash in the pan.

Ironically, those who bought in the new Malecon Center thinking they were buying ocean-front may have actually bought bay-front.

Last edited:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
They are having trouble replacing 57 blown light bulbs on the malecon right now. So what are the odds someone is able to replace the Malecon?

This requires a massive amount of investment and know-how.
Many 1st world cities would have a problem with building a project of this scale.

My guess is that it will remain ocean front for many years to come...

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
How many Dominicans does it take to change a lightbulb?

Robert said:
They are having trouble replacing 57 blown light bulbs on the malecon right now. So what are the odds someone is able to replace the Malecon?

This requires a massive amount of investment and know-how.
Many 1st world cities would have a problem with building a project of this scale.

My guess is that it will remain ocean front for many years to come...

...ahh, nevermind. ;)

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
This is one of those project where I'm actually happy at the inefficiencies of The DR. I would never like a project like this to come to fruiction. As it looks in the drawing they would basically be blocking the view from the Malecon with this man made island and since this would be private, I'm sure only the well to do who could afford to live there would have access to the island. Thanks god we have a government that will make sure (through red tape) plans like this will remain just that...plans...
Sometimes these things work out on your favor. For instance I've been hearing for a few years now that they are going to build a huge resort in Playa Rincon in Samana. I've been praying this never happens...Through my own selfishness I don't want to see one of my favorite spots and one of the best beaches in the world ruined...

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
An artificial island in front of the Malecon: do these people really think Santo Domingo is in the same league as Hong Kong or Dubai? They are mistaken.

An interesting opportunity arising from a man-made island in front of the coast would be that it could give Santo Domingo a beach for all the people. This is on the side of the island facing the city (on the oceanside the sand would be washed away as it is in the current situation). But off course, a public beach, stretch of sand and palmtrees does not deliver $$$ for the developers so there is no sign of it on the pictures.
Santo Domingo's current position resembles that of Barcelona, Spain, a decade ago, also a seaside city without a beach and living 'with it's back towards the sea'. A beach could create a whole different atmosphere just as happened in Barcelona.
Bartolomeo

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
dream or nightmare?

When I hear about the Metro and projects like this I wonder what these politicians are smoking.

If they have to have dreams, they should be dreaming about a country where the the electricity works, where children get a decent education and hospitals provide proper healthcare, where people earn a living wage and there are jobs for all who want them.

And doing something about it, of course.

But alas, it appears that this is too much to ask.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Keith R said:
Isn't that location right where they pipe the city's raw sewage out into the ocean?

Great observation!!! That means we already have a name for it...Isla de mierda...or Isla Mojones...

Apr 26, 2002
A Project Based on Greed and Avarice...

One that completely ignores the historic cityscape. A plan that expressly emulates Miami, por Dios! (Notably, Miami had an existing bay and allowed developers to build up existing wet islands.) And designed to put what should be public land into the private hands of the most elite of society.

All of this means it could actually happen!

Traditionally, Dominican governments are capable of pulling off big projects. They're just not capable of maintaining what they have built (there's almost never a post-construction maintenance budget and, if there is, the next government will eliminate it).

Still, given the scope of this project, it's location, and it's environmental impact, I don't know if there would be enough bribe money in the wealthiest billionaire's budget to cover the real cost of this proposed travesty.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
1. Dominican government will not be paying for this.

2. This is an interesting concept.

3. Apparently there are many people here are just pessimist all the way.

After all, why are people not screaming about Cap Cana? Atlantica?

If these investors want to build Ciudamar in Santo Domingo with their own money, so be it!

The last thing we need is for the people who "feel for the country" to scare away an opportunity like this that every country wish it would have, but few actually get it.

Why so much negativity when the slightest sign of progress comes into view?

What about all the new jobs this would create (both during and after construction)?

What about the new attention SDQ will receive from around the world, maybe even forcing Local officials to better maintain the city and create better living conditions for those in the margins?

What about the attraction of wealthier people to the country, because their high consumption rates would create demands in all sectors of the economy, causing even more jobs to be created?

People, learn to see things for the good they can create, rather than for the side effect that everything has!

Apr 26, 2002
Nal0whs said:
1. Dominican government will not be paying for this!
Sewer, water, electric, sanitation, road access, intersection improvements, environmental impact, etc. Also, expect the battle from hell for all necessary government approvals. Plus the government loses its exclusive, valuable, concession rights over the oceanfront....

Nal0whs said:
After all, why are people not screaming about Cap Cana? Atlantica? !
Those are greenfields projects. No city of 2M to worry about. No history. No cityscape. No quality of life issues for the preexisting population and property owners. No doubt fewer environmental issues as well.

Nal0whs said:
What about the new attention SDQ will receive from around the world, maybe even forcing Local officials to better maintain the city and create better living conditions for those in the margins?
Though I always appreciate your positive outlook, Nals, that seems a stretch. Please cite an example of where a mega private development project designed to insulate the wealthy from the rest of the population has had such an impact.

Luckily, there now seems to be an intellectual property fight brewing over who owns the designs to this fiasco (as if anyone would want to take credit for the monsterous thing). Turns out Hippo's appointed chief architect says it's his (that explains a lot). May Dominican justice apply all customary speed to the resolution of the issue.

Last edited:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Hey "Nalowls" Try THIS!!!!!!!

Go down Maximao Gomez,to the "Malecon".Now stare out into the ocean where the new "Marina" will NEVER be built! Know why???? Just turn around and you will see the 20 story "Skeleton" that has also "NEVER" been finished either,thats why.Started and stopped,sold and re-sold,but never finished!Nothing is ever finished here!The DR has "Cried Wolf" so many times,about so many,"Non-Projects",that no one believes you anymore!

jhm

Feb 23, 2002
www.colorescaribe.com
Criss Colon said:
Go down Maximao Gomez,to the "Malecon".Now stare out into the ocean where the new "Marina" will NEVER be built! Know why???? Just turn around and you will see the 20 story "Skeleton" that has also "NEVER" been finished either,thats why.Started and stopped,sold and re-sold,but never finished!Nothing is ever finished here!The DR has "Cried Wolf" so many times,about so many,"Non-Projects",that no one believes you anymore!

And how long did The V Centurio Intercontinental stand as a hulk on The Melecon?

Apr 26, 2002
Bartolomeo67 said:
I envy these architects: they put on paper whatever they dreamt about during their sleep and they are sure to find a wealthy fool who will buy their story.
In the case of Bofill, I believe it's reversed. The wealthy bought the famous architect to endorse the project - to give it credibility.

There is real risk to the whole city in this. If the project starts with the building of levies and dredging, and then stops prior to fill completion due to a political/economic crisis, lack of money, engineering problems, or any other reason, then the City's oceanfront would be ruined for years.

Last edited: