Who are "jevitos" ?

gardito

Jan 15, 2004
What exactly is the connotation of "jevito". I was reading articles concerning ave. Lincoln and came up with these terms. I'm sure that the meaning is not the same we have here in PR.

BTW, in what way would I use "matatan" in a conversation? Is this a postive or negative term ??

Thanks, E

LatinoRican

Apr 11, 2004
Jevitos vs. Matatanes

A 'jevito' is a young man...in this case the 'jevitos' mentioned in the news are from well-off families $$$. A 'matatan' is a guy who bosses other people around, who wants to take control, somewhat like a bully. All this info courtesy of my Dominican mother-in-law.

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
Long hair, designer sunglasses, driving a BMW or shiny new SUV with the music turned up ;)

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
LatinoRican is right about the jevitos

Un Matatan is a person who takes control, it is somebody who others see with authority. Not that 'wants' control, but HAS it.

Un matatan es el que ma' mea...

Is usually a compliment b/c it means you know your shyt.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Generally speaking

These are little rich kids with little or no supervision and parents too interested in their own lives to do anything about their brats.

They need a few knocks upside their heads.

Generally speaking nice enough, until they get together in a group..

HB :D:D

roca

Jun 23, 2003
Yes and No

The word JEVITOS was used to define teenagers from well off families back in the late 80's, the true rich, old money. Back then, these jevitos did flock to Lincoln Ave AND where in fact kids from well off families sporting the latest cars. BUT, nowadays, the media is using the word wrongfully as those partying at the avenue are nothing more than a bunch of CHOPOS that can't get into one of the hip bars and clubs. The TRUE JEVITOS don't care for Lincoln Ave. anymore. These chopos partying at the avenue who in fact drive bmw's and the like (rarely as Acura and HONDA are their preffered brands), usually come from medium to low class sectors, and those whose families might have money have made it from politics and/or other get-rich-quick schemes thus not entitling them to be called JEVITOS.

Matatan is in fact the guy that knows his sh&&. This guy usually excels at everything he does and does not refer to a bully. He's usually the leader in his cirlce of friends.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
El Jevito
Por las calles del pais se ve caminar
un personaje del que oimos hablar
Su cuadre estudiado para impresionar
su baile calmado para no sudar
cigarrillo en mano se pasea por Ne?n
tropieza a cada rato y no pide perd?n
Con su Pet Shop Boys no hay cuento que valga
y maldice al Disk Jokey si pone a Sergio Vargas
el New Wave es su adoracion
pero Michael Jackson reina en su habitacion
Coro:
El Jevito puede ser hombre o mujer
vive de la apariencia hasta mas no poder
El Jevito jura que su estilo es natural
es facil reconocerlos todos visten igual
Su raro caminar, postura GQ
no usa cadenas por no ser caden?
Plaza Naco es su pa?s natal
hasta que construyeron Plaza Central
Dice que usar campanas es pecado mayor
y usa cuello tortuga aunque muera del calor
pasa la noche con un solo trago
yo creo que el jevito con la bebida es malo
Coro:
El jevito, individuo peculiar
ella COLORS y el usa DRAKAR
El jevito, es un gigol? natural
con 100 tel?fonos de chicas a quienes llamar
Sus gafas son Vuarnet o algo parecido
y al decir lo que costaron siempre es tan decidido
Fuma More aunque le irrite la garganta
por mejor su look que el dolor aguanta
Coro:
El jevito, figura de nuestra ciudad
fruto de nuestra loca, loca sociedad
el jevito, a veces nos hace reir
pero si no existiese a lo mejor no tuvieramos
de que escribir

By Tony Almont (Toque Profundo)
Am I dating myself here? :nervous:

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
Wow I haven't heard that song in years, Pib.....

The term's definition hasn't changed but the people who would like to describe themselves as that has changed. In the mid to late 90s it was common to see them everywhere and specially on Lincoln Avenue. But now they wouldn't be caught dead on the strip unless something huge is going on in the parking lot of La Cadena supermarket. Jevitas are hot but really stuck-up too. They're a Dominican version of what they call "chica fresa" in Mexico. But yeah, they're the in-crowd, stuck on themselves, talk ish about everyone they deem not worthy and they're the people I used to hang out with. I never did get on the 80s bandwagon like they did. The younger ones picked it up from the older jevitos who did grow up in the 80s and are stuck on Pet Shop Boys and Duran Duran......DR is a good market for older bands like that.

It's ok Pib, you can do whatever you like.......