Jetblue is pulling out of Santo Domingo

xxeonzz

May 30, 2004
Jetblue will be leaving the Santo Domingo route in March. STI will stay the same. It seems like the JFK-SDQ route has not been very successful. Its really sad because less airlines means less competition and the prices to SDQ will likely increase.

I can see the picture right now, AA increasing its fares and dominicans wondering why... the DR always finds a way to contradict any logical business/economic plan. Jetblue has been extremely successful in all of its routes since the beginning. Not surprisingly, only SDQ has been a failure. These current low prices are only temporary. Once Jetblue and other airlines pull out of DR altogether, we will go back to the AA only, minimum $600 fare. Its really sad that the dominican market does not give room to competition.

Here is the press release: http://biz.yahoo.com/pz/050201/71785.html

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
xxeonzz said:
Jetblue will be leaving the Santo Domingo route in March. STI will stay the same. It seems like the JFK-SDQ route has not been very successful.

Well it seemed to have been cheap enough - perhaps the 2 a.m. arrival and 3 a.m. departures were not considered by many to be very useful for vacation or business travel? Even charter companies tend to do better than that.

BigCity27

Mar 4, 2004
ricktoronto said:
Well it seemed to have been cheap enough - perhaps the 2 a.m. arrival and 3 a.m. departures were not considered by many to be very useful for vacation or business travel? Even charter companies tend to do better than that.
I agree, I looked at a few of their flights to STI & SDQ and would rather pay a hundred or so more to arrive & depart at a decent hour with Continental or AA.

la flor

Jan 6, 2005
how disapointing!!

this is bad news! from NY JFK to Santo Domingo was 75$u.s. each way, and the way to go! so what you arrive at 3a.m., I found that much better than having to arrive/leave during the day. to bad they will not continue this service.

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
la flor said:
this is bad news! from NY JFK to Santo Domingo was 75$u.s. each way, and the way to go! so what you arrive at 3a.m., I found that much better than having to arrive/leave during the day. to bad they will not continue this service.
I know the prices were advertised as $75 but what was the price after taxes? I too hate to see any competition leave. Prices can only go up.

xxeonzz

May 30, 2004
Jetblue always does that..

In response to those who mention time as a factor...

Each of Jetblue's routes began as a late night flight. San Juan, Aguadilla, West coast etc... They were all extremely successful, so they began adding daytime flights. This is Jetblue's way of operating. They start with late night flights and add daytime flights depending on demand. SDQ has been the only failed route. Dont blame Jetblue... it has worked everywhere else.

la flor

Jan 6, 2005
jruane44 said:
I know the prices were advertised as $75 but what was the price after taxes? I too hate to see any competition leave. Prices can only go up.
taxes were under $100 with round trip, and I always got the fares for 75.oo each way. thats still very inexpensive. the flights always run on time, never any problems. at least I have one more flight in 3 weeks!

Apr 26, 2002
Escott said:
I am not surprised. A$$hole time to schedual flights. They must have thought that all Dominicans are stupid and don't mind leaving in the middle of the night or arriving at STUPID hours.
I'm suprised Scott. You supported Pan Am in the name of competition even though that airline never did anything to lower fares. JetBlue has most certainly had an impact on fares, yet you deride them. What gives? People who have flown American Airlines out of SDQ have also benefited from JetBlue's presense through lower fares.

BTW, haven't even been able to go to my house in the Cibao since I last visited you. Whenever I'm on the island, it's always in SDQ doing business these days. Hopefully this will change soon.

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
xxeonzz said:
In response to those who mention time as a factor...

Each of Jetblue's routes began as a late night flight. San Juan, Aguadilla, West coast etc... They were all extremely successful, so they began adding daytime flights. This is Jetblue's way of operating. They start with late night flights and add daytime flights depending on demand. SDQ has been the only failed route. Dont blame Jetblue... it has worked everywhere else.

Yeah, and Puerto Rico has 6 daily flights from JFK now. Do Puerto Ricans "get it" more than Domincans?

Can't blame JetBlue on this one. They'll stick to a format that's been successful for them, and forcing each of the major airlines to match to them.

Keep loving AA and watch as those prices rise again in SDQ. Some of you predicted it. Now you got it. Higher prices, less customer service, no meals for the majority of passengers. Enjoy!

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
What is going on. First Norh American Air pulls out of Santiago and now Jetblue is pulling out of Santo Domingo. And both were destinated for NY. Now what next....

STIOP

Jun 11, 2004
Ur are right on the money there my friend....

santobonao said:
I am afraid that jetblue is leaving STI soon like Naa. What is going on with these airlines.

Well, at least for the time being is not that bad, but B6 is going to fly to STI at 4:00am......... when???.... soon..........

Damn..... imma have to sleep like Dracula man.........

STIOP

santobonao

Bronze
Jun 3, 2003
www.telemundo.com
STIOP said:
Well, at least for the time being is not that bad, but B6 is going to fly to STI at 4:00am......... when???.... soon..........

Damn..... imma have to sleep like Dracula man.........

STIOP

Maybe ;) ;)

Jetblue will not increase their service to santiago this summer. jetblue Morning seasonal flights to santiago will now fly to aguadilla instead of santiago making a second flight to that city in Puerto rico.

STIOP

Jun 11, 2004
Adult Fare US$109.04

Fri, 09 Sep 05
Flight 725 12:40 am Depart New York NY (JFK)
4:15 am Arrive Santiago, DR (STI)

Adult Fare US$109.04

Sat, 04 Jun 05
Flight 726 5:45 am Depart Santiago, DR (STI)
9:20 am Arrive New York NY (JFK)

It`s official I`m becoming Dracula Soon...

jetBlue can`t think for a moment that if things are going bad in SDQ they`ll get better by moving an already late and tiresome flight to a schedule that is completely outrageous..........

Come on going to check IN at the airport at 2:00am????? are you kidding me????????

I LOVE B6..... beautiful people to work with, great planes, excelent service, and very rarely delayed... but DAMN to LATE TO TRAVEL MAN!!!!

STIOP

santobonao

Bronze
Jun 3, 2003
www.telemundo.com
Right!! i am a big fan of jetblue. Its a shame that 3-4 airlines already leave this route in just 2 years. Like Aeromar,Air santo domingo,North american,Aerocontinente and Now Jetblue. I think we need a real strong dominican carrier that can really kick American airlines butt. ;)

Santobonao2005

BigCity27

Mar 4, 2004
US Airways

I would be a little concerned w/using them but, US Airways has flights to SDQ for as low as $150pp RT from LaGuardia, arriving & departing at reasonable hours.

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
Boy that really su*ks! I fly to JFK once a month to see my older kids, and the early morning flights were the best, take off friday night, back by monday for work, slept on the plane. And, I'm one flight away from earning enough miles for my free flight. Jet Blue's low fare was one of the reasons moving down here seemed like an option. The planes were in great shape too. I really dislike them now. :cry: I guess now I am truly Naufrago!

Last edited: