Resumes in DR - HELP!

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Can anyone offer some tips on what to add to a resume to send to DR?
Do they pretty much look like the ones we use in the US?
Does anyone have an example they can post or send via PM?

Please advise!

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
The resumes that I've seen here are definetly different than I was used to in NY. Here they pretty much just list the schools, jobs, skills etc. along with the dates. Not much content, or context, or descriptions and accomplishments. I've also seen the references listed at the bottom of the resume which is not usual in the States. Some of the resumes I've seen include personal information that would be inappropriate in the US, i.e. marital status, age. I've just been using my regular US style resume and it seems to work as well.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Naufrago said:
The resumes that I've seen here are definetly different than I was used to in NY. Here they pretty much just list the schools, jobs, skills etc. along with the dates. Not much content, or context, or descriptions and accomplishments. I've also seen the references listed at the bottom of the resume which is not usual in the States. Some of the resumes I've seen include personal information that would be inappropriate in the US, i.e. marital status, age. I've just been using my regular US style resume and it seems to work as well.
You are right Naufrago about personal stuff in resumes. As somebody who was always interviewing new candidates I've even been told how many children they have in a resume. Trully gauche.

My resume is (was?) one page long (plus a short introductory letter), and didn't list any personal information other than my name. At the bottom it would read "Personal and professional references will be provided upon request". If you can't catch the interest of a potential employer in one page you are doomed. If they want to know more they will call you.

I found an old resume the other day. Very old indeed. If you want I can scan it and send it to you. I can't say I got many jobs with it, I did get a lot of offers but I was somewhat picky and turned down most of them.

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
I would very much like to see a resume posted. I recently sent my resume to a few schools and a comment was made by a friend of how strange it looked. (Of course it looks normal to me...) Like Talldrink I wonder how much resumes differ. I was asked to send a CV...custom here is not to have more than a pgae of bla bla bla unless you have more than 10 years of experience (which I do not.)

More information, please!

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Just send in your sexy photo in JLo style dress. If that doesn't get you a job, nothing will. Heheheheheh. me so funny
AZB

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Maybe we can add a picture to the resume like the Real State people do with their business cards...

Will that get me a job in DR AZB??

Pib, can you post your old resume for us to see? Pretty pllleeeeaaaassseee....

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
Naufrago said:
Some of the resumes I've seen include personal information that would be inappropriate in the US, i.e. marital status, age. I've just been using my regular US style resume and it seems to work as well.
How strange to see that you americans don't give personal information in your resumes. Must have something to do with the 'political correctness' syndrome you guys are suffering from. ;)
In my opinion, if you send your cv from abroad to a company in the DR, I think the company will certainly want to know your age group to see if it fits with what they have in mind.
Talldrink, you find over 28,000 dominican online-resumes on www.aldaba.org,
click on Curricula and refine your selection.
Bartolomeo

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Tall, Aldaba is a good place to look.

In many places (though not in the DR) it's against the law to discriminate based on age when recruiting for a job position.

In practice though, you can work out a person's age even when they don't have to state their birthdate on their CV or the job application form. In the section where they enter details about education they have to specify the dates they attended secondary school and university. That usually gives away the person's age. Or, and this applies to the UK only, saying you have 'O' level qualifications (as opposed to GCSEs, which were introduced in the late 80s IIRC) is a dead giveaway and puts you in the 35+ category, and vice-versa.

Some people don't even put their first name, or title (unless it's a professional one like Dr.) so that their gender is not obvious.

I vote for stating your starsign, colour of underpants, dietary preferences, sexual orientation...

I'll shut up now. :speechles

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
No, in DR they have these reasons:

1. Change in government
2. Viviendo del cuento por el momento
3. La cosa esta dura - at least Presidentes are still only $40 pesos.

Gaps mean nothing...