E-mail about traveling w/ kids

JJandN

Nov 16, 2004
Not sure if this e-mail is standard as I recently booked a flight with Jet Blue, but thought I would pass it along as I have seen the topic arise on this site before.

Dear Jonathan,

The Dominican Republic has strict requirements concerning the travel of minors (persons under the age of 18) to/from the Dominican Republic who are unaccompanied, traveling with someone other than both parents or legal guardians, or who are traveling with only one parent or legal guardian. The Dominican Republic generally requires such minors carry a letter of consent in Spanish that is signed and notarized by both parents or, if traveling with only one parent, by the parent who is not traveling with the minor. If the travel originates in the U.S., the letter must be notarized before the Dominican Republic Consulate in the U.S. and, in most instances, also filed with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in the Dominican Republic. If the travel originates in the Dominican Republic, the letter must be notarized before a Dominican Notary and, in many instances, also certified by the Office of the Attorney General and filed with the Immigration Office. A modest fee is generally associated with notarizing/certifying the letter. Any passenger under the age of 18 who is unaccompanied, traveling with someone other than both parents or legal guardians, or who is traveling with only one parent or legal guardian, should contact the Dominican Republic Consulate in the United States or the Dominican Republic Ministry of Foreign Affairs in the Dominican Republic for entry/exit requirements.

Sincerely,

JetBlue Airways