Snorkeling from the beach in Sosua???

freakaccident

Jan 14, 2005
I have heard you can snorkel right off the beach. How far out do the reefs go? Are the reefs torn up pretty bad? We plan on floating around all day snorkeling. We will probably snorkel out as far as we can. Snorkeling vests of course.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yes you can rent the equipment from various venders right on the beach. I used to snorkle in sosua all the time and I think the reef is one of the best. You will see various tropical schools of fish and often some strange creatures. Just ask the guy who rents the equipment for snorkling were is the best reef. Its very close and you will already see a few people going that way.
have fun.
AZB

neepawaguy

Jan 9, 2005
thanks for the info.....I took a "tourist dive" out in the bay a couple of years ago and it was great but I think I'll do some snorkeling this time.

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
When i went in June last year we were damn lucky to see a turtle in Sosua Bay. I have been scuba diving half a dozen times and seen some nice things. I can spend ages snorkelling in Sosua, its amazing! I wish i was there now i tell ya! ;)

bill-ny

Mar 24, 2004
I've enjoyed snorkeling off of the Sosua beach several times. Be sure to bring a disposible underwater camera with you. The beach is very long, and in my opinion, the best part of the reef is about two-thrids of the way down. I wish I could remember the booth number of "Wendy's Bar", but I cannot. If you find "Wendy's Bar" (again, I'd say it's probably two-thirds of the way down the beach), ask for "Dario". Dario will rent you beach chairs and take care of you while you're at the beach. He will sell you ice-cold bottled beverages, arrange for rental of snorkeling equipment (from "Blanco"), and will keep your belongings safe while you snorkel (he'll store them behind the bar while you're snorkeling, and bring tem back to you when he sees you come out of the water). I spent a beautiful afternoon there last spring. The chair, snorkeling equipment, banana for the fish, and two Presidentes (one large, one small) cost me a mere $8 US. Dario is a very friendly, attentive, and trustworthy man. I do not use a snorkeling vest, but it sounds like a great idea...swimming out to to the reef can be pretty tiring. One last tip... as you swim out, turn around and note the landmarks at your part of the beach (colors of the chaise lounges, umbrellas, etc.)... otherwise, you may find it difficult to find your place on the swim back.

zelda

Aug 15, 2004
I just returned from Sosua on Wednesday night. Just so you know, the usually very calm bay has been unusually wavy and rough the last 5 months. The locals that I spoke to were confused by this and said it was unusual for it to be so rough. The hotel that I stayed at had a number of their lower decks smashed up from the recent waves.

The first week I was there the beach was very wavy... too much for me to venture a dip in the ocean, let alone snorkeling. Even the usual catamaran tours were not in their snorkel spots.

The second week, however, it did calm down quite a bit. Still wavy, but there were a number of snorkelers about, the catamarans returned, and we ended up paying for a boat to take us out for an hour. It was nice, but the water was pretty stirred up and cloudy.

I'd highly recommend safety jackets. Also, if the catamarans aren't out, I wouldn't recommend going, as it is likely that even they have determined it is to dangerous to go that day.

Otherwise, have fun, play in the waves, and soak up the sun!

Canadian-Diver

Jan 8, 2005
How is the boat traffic in Sosua,,, ie: the catamarans ?

Should I be bringing my dive float and flag when snorkelling ?

CD