Beer prices in Sosua?

freakaccident

Jan 14, 2005
We will be there in April and I am curious as to how much the cost of a beer is at a bar. Examples and the name of the bar would be great. What about at the supermarket? My friend and I drink quite a lot on vacation so a little bit makes a difference.

Thanks,
Aaron VanCleve

Lechero

Aug 11, 2004
Buy six packs in SUPER SUPER for RD170.
Most bars on Pedro Clisante are RD50-60 for una Pequena.
Grande's are RD45 in most grocery stores/bodegas.
Classico disco is a little more pricey @ RD90.

If you really wanna save money, buy a 1.75L of Barcelo Anejo for RD310, fill up a paint bucket with ice buy a few cokes and go to the beach !

freakaccident

Jan 14, 2005
WTF! 170 for a 6 pack? Bling bling!! Thats like buying a 6 pack of Presidentes here in the states. Ill have to get the grandes for the beach and the room.

Lechero

Aug 11, 2004
If $US1/BEER is "BLING BLING" to you , perhaps you should reconsider your travel plans! I offered you a less expensive way to get hammered.

freakaccident

Jan 14, 2005
Thats a lot for such a cheap country. I have been other places where the beers are $1 at the bar and $3 for a 6 pack at the store.

Unfortunately I can't stand liquor so Ill have to pay the price. My friend however drinks rum for breakfast. He will be in heaven.

freakaccident

Jan 14, 2005
jruane44 said:
Just pack a keg in your luggage ;)

Not a bad idea! Ill just hide it in my belly.

When we were in Mexico in November we packed a big cooler full of beer and went snorkeling with it. I just tied it to my snorkeling vest strap and dragged it all over while we snorkeled the reefs. Only downside was the rediculous sunburn on my back after 6 hours of floating around.

PS - We got those Coronas for 28.5 pesos per 6 pack at Walmart. About $2.60. The ice chest screwed it up though. About $30 for a $10 ice chest.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
On my first trip to Sosua in Nov 2001 I remember a pequena in most bars was 25 rd. The peso was then about 16 to 1 I believe. I have no idea why I posted this other than I am very bored and like to hear myself talk .

Larry

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
For one pequena at Super Super it's 40 pesos, in the other shops it's 30. Normal bar prices is 60 to 70. Idon't think there is many bars you can get it to 50 Lechero ? I don't know about others than Campo Bar. On the beach, Bar Cheguevara sells them at 45, but they have some problems with the neighbour bars because of that. Scandinavian Bar also take 45 during happy hour before 2 pm. and 60 after. Many of The Dominican bars at the beach runs a two price system for gringos versus Dominicans.

Lechero

Aug 11, 2004
I just got back yesterday!
Trust me ....a six pack of Pequenas @ SUPER SUPER is $RD170.
When were you in the store?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Oh for God's Sake stop this!

A full liter of Presidente is RD$60 (today a wee bit over $2.00). That is nearly three small ones. Get a few of those in an ice chest and you should be good for the day.

Lordy, I wish I could go out and do like before, drink all day and dance all night...

You guys will have better luck buying your beer at supermarkets, preferably in Puerto Plata, rather than Sos?a, even...

Yeah, and I can remember when a six pack of Bud or Carling's Black Lable (Hey Mable, Black Lable! (or Mable, get off the table, the quarter's for the beer!)was $1.25

And Cokes were a dime...

HB, who now sticks to great rum and beer after golf...:D:D

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
re Lechero
Last time I was in there, they had a sign that said 40 for 1, I llive about 200 meters from it, so I check tomorrow.

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
The higher the price the nicer the nights its what you pay for what you (need) and just spend the money in the DR. ENJOY ;)

quejeyoke

Jun 20, 2004
the set price for the Jumbo version of Presidente is 60 although a lot greety colmado pirates sell them for 70. The ones that sell them for 60 can't keep them in stock. If you come across a nearby colmado that sells them for 70, retaliate by giving them a really disgusted look and in disbelief, following the price revelation and promptly be on your way and don't stop when they call you back to renegotiate. If doing a price check from your car while doing a rolling stop, the disgusted look still stands as you pick up speed again, staring at the guy till eye contact is lost. After a couple times of people doing this, they'll drop the price. A cousin kept working a neighborhood colmado and they eventually dropped the price to 65 which was still not regulation price but the battle was not over yet. Finding near freezing beer is not an issue, if you do, it's a Major let down. Bar prices are about 70 and up but can't be certain since I'd be over saturated when walking in clubs.

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
re Lechero
Just checked the prices at Super Super, They are still expensive on single bottles, but has lowered the price to 35 pesos. But you are right, they have a discount offer on six packs at 170 pesos.

freakaccident

Jan 14, 2005
Tor said:
re Lechero
Just checked the prices at Super Super, They are still expensive on single bottles, but has lowered the price to 35 pesos. But you are right, they have a discount offer on six packs at 170 pesos.

Can you buy American beer there? My friend is seriously thinking he is going to bring a case of Coors light on the plane as a carry on. He's nuts.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
freakaccident said:
Can you buy American beer there? My friend is seriously thinking he is going to bring a case of Coors light on the plane as a carry on. He's nuts.

A lot of bars in Sosua sell Miller. They charge twice as much for it as they do for Presedente because it is imported. I have seen Corona in many bars too. Again, twice to price of Presedente.

It is funny to see all the putas drinking Miller. They think it makes them look classy because it costs more. They could have the best beer in the world for half the price but they drink watery old Miller instead.

Larry

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
freakaccident said:

I have seen many Miller Light and Budweiser in the DR. I am not sure about coors.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
I bought 2 six packs of Bud from the National Supermarket in S.D. for 157 pesos each. That is cheaper than Presidente. They have Presidente for 180 pesos a six in Playero in Sosua. What a rip. I will buy the cheapest beer till their prices become realistic. When the dollar was 48 to one the Six cost 150 Pesos for Presidente in Auguet. Six months later you are happy to get 29 pesos to a buck and it went up 20%. This is just plain NUTZ