They Cannot Do This, Can They?!?

Nov 5, 2004
Ok...for my honeymoon me and my husband have BOOKED to stay at the resort in his town. The Luperon Beach Resort. We booked it on Jan.27th.
I have stayed in this resort with him for 1 weeks also Dec.25-Jan.1. And we and him stayed overnight as guests of my parents when my parents were at the resort in September and October.

My and my mother have also stayed at this resort a few other times.

Ok...so I have the confirmation # and it is all booked. But I get a call from my friend who is currently at the resort saying the manager (who is AWFUL and ignorant...and has made the resort go downhill since he arrived..although on the Best Hotels website they are advertizing for a new manager for the hotel!!!!) has made a new rule. Anyone who was previously on the animation team EVER cannot stay at the resort now. Carlos (my fiance) wroked on the animation team there 4 years ago.

Two nights ago there was someone eating his supper with his wife...(they now live in a different country but he also worked on animation a few years back) and security came in the middle of his meal and made him leave the resort!!!!!!!!!!!

So I called to confirm my booking and make sure there is no problem when I arrive there on Wednesday (February 9). They now tell me that Carlos cannot stay there for our honeymoon either because he worked in animation 4 years ago. I booked it BEFORE they made this rediclous rule. No one seems to know why they made this new rule..obviously there were problems with some previous workers....but why not just ban the specific ones there was a problem with? This makes no sense to me. I dont see how they can do that. I have enough stress getting the wedding together without having to start hunting for a new place to stay.

My father who works in customer service spent all day tracking down the manager for this Luperon branch, only to be told again...no Carlos cannot stay there for our honeymoon even though it is already booked and confirmed. Even though some of the Junior managers told my father there should be no problem and they should let Carlos stay with me for our honeymoon! But they would have to verify with the senior manager.When it got up to him..he just said "No" flat out! They say it is no problem for me to be there for the honeymoon..just not my husband!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EXCUSE ME????????????

My father is calling the head of the Best Hotels in Spain tomorrow, hopefully we will have a better result from higher up.

PLEASE any suggestiongs from anyone? (Besides changing hotels, would like to keep it at this hotel it is a lot more convienent for spending time with his family and my friends in town, as well as MUCH cheaper, and I don't have money to transfer hotels now really)

I don't see how they can legally do this when we have already have a confirmed booking. When we booked they hadn't made this silly rule. What if my friend hadn't warned me and we showed up late Wednesday night and they wouldn't let him in???

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Will let everyone know what happens when we contact Spain..but I don't see how they can do this!!!!

Lechero

Aug 11, 2004
Have your fiance' wear a mask from Carnaval, tell management it's a family tradition.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
OMG, I cannot imagine what you are going through. What stress, especially only one week before the wedding. You'd think they want all the business they can have - tourism too good in the DR right now? I think not. The only thing I can think of, is if he worked there 4 years ago, and this Manager was not around, how would he know that Carlos ever worked there? I guess he may be on alert now, that all these phone calls have been made. Have you told him that everyone in the wedding will cancel their rooms? Are these rooms fully paid for? I would wait for the Manager to try and do something, and threaten him with the police. It is not a good thing to harass tourists in the DR, and I think the tourist police ***may*** be able to help. Again, I'm giving a lot of credit to Dominican police, but since there's not much else you can do, why not try?

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Reason #492 to not stay at AI's: oddball managers with elephant-like memories.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
cant you contact your credit card company and cancel your reservation????? I know it will be a pain in ther rear.....but why would you want to even give this place your money???

there are pleanty of other places to stay that will let your hubby stay with you.....and i am sure if you contact your credit card company you can cancel your reservation. Do this tonight so you can relax and enjoy your trip!!!!

Jackson

Sep 12, 2004
Lechero said:
Have your fiance' wear a mask from Carnaval, tell management it's a family tradition.

Lechero, that was not a helpful suggestion for her, but man did it make me chuckle!!

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
In the D.R. they do whatever they can get away with.

I suggest you book with another resort in the area. The way you are being treated by Luperon will leave a bad taste in your mouth even if you are able to arrange to get Carlos into the resort for your honeymoon.

If you advanced any money to the resort by credit card, you can contact the card company and cancel the transaction, explain your situtation, you have just cause. If you booked through a travel agency, the agency may be able to resolve the matter for you and/or locate a new and better resort for you.

It appears for whatever reason the management of the Luperon has no marketing sense. A blanket policy banning former employees, [rather than specfic ones], from making use of the place, bringing in business for them, does not make sense.

I wish you good luck to resolve this loco situation, you don't deserve to have a wonderful occasion turned into a mess. I would think the management would have some common sense. But, common sense is not common. And think of this quote from "Alice in Wonderland" if you do head to the Luperon, `But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked."

Regards,
PJT

Nov 5, 2004
First of all thank you to everyone who responded so far.

Secondly I have to clarify a few things I didn't explain properly the first time.

The problem is most people in Luperon and the hotel know Carlos, and know he used to work there. The reason I called is when my friend staying at the hotel told me of the situation I called to verify my booking again..and the girl in reservation looked at it and said "oh. there is a problem here. Carlos cannot stay here because he worked here before 3 months ago" and I said "No he didnt...it was 3 almost 4 years ago." And she says "Oh yes, right." Good thing I called before i showed up there late at night and they wouldnt let him in! She then told me I could stay there, and my family can stay with me, but he can't come! I said the reservation is for Carlos and I!!! She wouldnt comment further and said she would talk to a manager. That didn't help any, and I got the number to contact someone above her.

My dad spent most of his day at work trying to contact the right people. But it didn't help. Tomorrow is the last full day before I leave and he needs to try and get some help from Spain before that.

So the instructions appear to be ANYONE who has EVER worked on animation before.All my dad could find about for the reason for this, is that no one really udnerstands why. All they know is something about some former animation guys wanting to book at the hotel and casuing a scene, and the British tourists who were there when this happened complained to managment. So they made this rule. BUT...they made this rule AFTER we had already booked!

The next problem is we don't pay ANYTHING on the rooms untill we are there. So we do have a confirmation number, but nothing has been paid. Well in a way that is a good thing..but in a way it's not so good. But if the head manager at the Luperon resort will not even take 10 minutes to consider our case, then I dont think he will be any better when we are there. This is something that ahs to be taken up with someone higher then him. If we make a big enough complaint I hope they will do something. This is not right. I'm just wondering if there's something that I can legally do? Problem is there is not much time left. We contact Spain on Tuesday and I leave Wednesday....

Doesnt the hotel pay the tourist police? I dont know if they will go against the manager.

Other thing, there are no other resorts in the town. And I want to be in town so we can be spending him with his family and our friends in town. Next closest resort is a good 30 minutes away. I booked over the phone with them. And the policy to not allow ppl who bring good business is REDICLOUS! Maybe that is why Best Hotels is advertizing for a new manager there!

I have talked to a few of the staff there that are my friends, and they weren't even aware of this situation cuz he jsut made this new "policy" a few days ago it seems!!!!

I was GOING to book my wedding there...but I wrote and called MANY times, and didn't hear back from them for over a month, so I booked it at another hotel. What would they do if my WEDDING was booked there? Not let the groom in???

So does anyone know if there is anything illegal about this situation??? If my dad brings the words "possible legal action" into the convo I wonder if it will give them some incentive to fix things.

I guess I will have to wait and see what Spain says...but that doesnt give me much time to do anything if they respond negativly as well. Even if they will help us in Spain...I dont know if things will be cleared up in Luperon before I arrive!!!!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
It's not illegal, it's called class and color discrimination and it's very much alive and kicking in the DR. Unfortunately for you, a lot of it is coming your way if you plan to stay with your future husband in the DR.

If I was you, I would forget it, you're wasting your time and energy.
This is not Kansas and your dad can scream blue murder on the phone and it will make absolutely no difference.

Why don't you book in to the hotel you are having your wedding in?

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Darn!!

Jesus, what's the big deal?. Just go to another resort.

If they are playing this game, it's a game that you may lose and why would you want to start your honeymoon that way?.

Be glad that the problem is starting now instead of later because that way you can resolve it now. Save yourself the headache and go to another place. If you can not affort it, borrow some money. I know that it would be much harder for your if you get over there and have to deal with all this. Do you rather spend a little more in some other place where he can go in or remember your honeymoon for the rest of your life as being a horrible experience?.

What's the reason that they have this rule?. Are they afraid that other tourists will recognize the former workers and start some type of trouble?. Maybe they do have a good reason, who knows.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I feel for you, Peaches, but I honestly think your best course of action NOW is to focus your energies on getting a new hotel fixed. And focus on the positives......the wedding etc. If you want to do something really nasty to the manager, take up the cudgels after the wedding, unless of course your Dad has an way in to Minister of Tourism & even he probably couldn't do much within the time frame.
Forget the hassle for now...........reactivate when it is 'cold'......you'll be more effective! ;)

Nov 5, 2004
Well I guess I can give it a try with Spain...see what happens. I'm hoping they will be more reasonable then the moron they have running the Luperon resort right now.

But as I said..we want to be spending some time with his family, and with our friends when I am there.There are 2 other weddings in Luperon that I will be going to, and if I am booking at another hotel, there will be LOTS of driving back and forth between the other resort and Luperon that is gonna be costing more too.

The next cheapest hotel is going to cost me an extra $500 US..dont really have that right now. My parents are already helping out a lot moneywise, and they don't have much extra to lend or give me. Carlos has already contributed more then he has to the wedding as it is.

I dont see how it is legal to have given someone a booking, and then say one of the people booked cannot have the booking because of a new rule they put in place AFTER we made the original booking.

And even though I know perfectly well they won't...they should be arranging for alternate accomidations for me if they will not honor our booking.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I don't think you have another choice...so as a few people have already mentioned why not just get another hotel and forget about this for now. Even if they let him stay there, you're going to be spending your honeymoon in a bad mood because of this. They may let you stay and then treat you (him) different than others and that's probably going to make you angry...why go through all this trouble?
The truth is that since this is a private property they have the right to refuse admission to anyone they feel like, for any reason or for no reason whatsoever...
You, on the other hand, have the right to complain to management, but I would do that afterwards...
Good luck in your wedding!!!

Dec 9, 2002
My heart goes out to you, what an awful thing to have to deal with so close to the wedding. I understand all your reasons for choosing this hotel, but I think you have to cut your losses and make alternative arrangements. As to whether what they are doing is legal or not, it doesn't make any difference to this guys petty mindedness. It seems to me that hotel managers in DR can do whatever they want and get away with it - believe me, me and my husband know this to our cost.

I hope you get all this sorted, and that you are able to relax and enjoy your big day. Good luck.

TEHAMA

Feb 3, 2004
Sorry but, what is an animation team?

Forcing someone or someplace to accept your money against their crazy rules may have the appearance of victory to you. But once there, I do not think you would "fully" enjoy yourself. Forget these jokers! They need your money, business and referrals more than you need them. Cancel that damn bill with credit card company and find another enjoyable place in the sun.
TEHAMA

Last edited:

Lechero

Aug 11, 2004
The Animation team is a group of young men that entertain the guests at an all inclusive and typically work as Sankees in their spare time.

Nov 5, 2004
TEHAMA said:
Sorry but, what is an animation team?
TEHAMA

Animation team are the group of guys and girls that are up at like 6 or 7am getting people pumped up with things like water areobics....get everyone involved in games on the beach or by the pool all day. Dance in the evening shows and then are up untill 3 or 4am trying to get guests dancing at the disco!

We are waiting to hear back from Spain...we should know within the hour what is going on. The manager of Best Hotels in Spain, was very surprised by the situation and totally unaware of any new rules the Luperon manager has decided to enforce. He has to call and find out what is going on, and he said if nothing else they will provide a new location for us at the same cost.

Doesn't really cover the time and the cost of renting vehicles or the gas money to travel back and forth to Luperon if they will not allow us to stay there.

And you are all right, I don't even know how comfortable I will feel being there. Although it is just the manager who would be the problem. Me and Carlos are both friends with alot of the rest of the staff, and when I talked to some of them, they were very upset when I told them what was going on. None of them were aware of the new rule this idiot manager is trying to set up.

He just must not have much experience working in hotels or something, cuz he sure isn't dealing with this situation very well. And despite all the problems I will not write off the Luperon hotels...I will just wait untill there is a new manager untill I consider going back. It's no 5 star, but I like it...and with the exception of the manager the staff is always EXCELLENT!

Nov 5, 2004
One other question

One other question on top of this...if anyone is good at phrasing things to get results...

I want to know if they will not honor our Luperon booking..and are putting us into some other hotel...

(I know this is unlikely..but you will never get anywhere if you don't ask)

Since they are inconvienencing (sp?) us like this, we should not have to pay all our transportation to and from Luperon. They should be hopefully giving us a bit of an allowence for that after what they are putting me through...!!!!

Any ideas on a good why to phrase this to get results?? :tired:

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
PeachezNcream84 said:
One other question on top of this...if anyone is good at phrasing things to get results...

I want to know if they will not honor our Luperon booking..and are putting us into some other hotel...

(I know this is unlikely..but you will never get anywhere if you don't ask)

Since they are inconvienencing (sp?) us like this, we should not have to pay all our transportation to and from Luperon. They should be hopefully giving us a bit of an allowence for that after what they are putting me through...!!!!

Any ideas on a good why to phrase this to get results?? :tired:

The best way I can phrase it is "good luck to you Aliya". Although we all agree with you, and that is probably what would happen in Canada (hell, none of this would really happen in Canada, would it?), it ain't gonna happen in the DR.

Nov 5, 2004
trina said:
The best way I can phrase it is "good luck to you Aliya". Although we all agree with you, and that is probably what would happen in Canada (hell, none of this would really happen in Canada, would it?), it ain't gonna happen in the DR.

I will know in a few mintues. My dad is on the phone with him now.

He did say if Luperon will not let us stay there they will arrange for a hotel in Puerto Plata at the same price....which I was surprised to hear that. So you never know what I might get if I ask...

The squeaky wheel gets the grease....lol