Dominicans and their ancestry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tvagyok!

Jan 27, 2005
My family is Dominican, but I was born in the U. S. My parents and relatives have mentioned the fact that my great great grandparents, from both my parents' sides, came from somewhere in Spain. There is a strong Spanish influence in the family, when it comes to the light skin and
eye color. There is also an Indian influence, since I'm mixed, but I have dark-skinned relatives. So the way I see it, my ancestors migrated to D. R. from Spain, intermarried with Indians of the country, and so 3 generations were born there with a mixed racial background. The 3rd generation migrated to the U. S. and so the 4th generation, including myself, is Dominican-
-American. So my the family migrated twice, the first relatives to D. R. and the 3rd generation to the USA.
It's interesting when one learns about the ancestral roots of oneself and the family.

Peace and Sunshine!

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Tvagyok! You ARE Dominican, make no bones about it, don't let no one convince you otherwise. Get a big Dominican flag and place it on your wall, go to the library and read up on things Dominican.

Que Viva la Rep?blica Dominicana!!!

Peace and Sunshine!! (hurry up and come down and get some real sunshine in the sun, you have lost your tan)

Mirador

wventura

Oct 21, 2003
Tvagyok! said:
My family is Dominican, but I was born in the U. S. My parents and relatives have mentioned the fact that my great great grandparents, from both my parents' sides, came from somewhere in Spain. There is a strong Spanish influence in the family, when it comes to the light skin and
eye color. There is also an Indian influence, since I'm mixed, but I have dark-skinned relatives. So the way I see it, my ancestors migrated to D. R. from Spain, intermarried with Indians of the country, and so 3 generations were born there with a mixed racial background. The 3rd generation migrated to the U. S. and so the 4th generation, including myself, is Dominican-
-American. So my the family migrated twice, the first relatives to D. R. and the 3rd generation to the USA.
It's interesting when one learns about the ancestral roots of oneself and the family.

Peace and Sunshine!

"Indian"???

......sure, I guess you should beleive that if thats what they are telling you.

Gimabella

Sep 15, 2003
wventura said:
"Indian"???

ok just so you could know...

Domincans are made up of

1- Taino ( indians) which were the first to land in DR

2- Spaniards( white) which decided to eventually take over the island and remove as many indians as they possibly cold, teh Sapniards came to the DR with diseases in their system an dinfected many africans and Tainos which was the result of many of them dying within a small time frame..

3-Afrincans ( black) which were eliminated somehow buy the spaniards.

which means that Domincans are made up of ...
Taino, Spaniards and white,,

regardless of how blue your eyes are and how white your skin is, US you and me , and those who are Domincan have atleast one drop of African and Taino blood with in their body it's a fact..

ok please do not quote me on this, this is from what Professor have told me and what i have understood from many readings that i have done through out hte past if i am wrong on these facts, please correct me, this way i and the rest can learn more about our culture, honestly the Dominican identity as a whole in regards to physical look it's very confusing...

one more thing, my mom is white, really white, people confuse her for European white ( no offense to anyone)

my dad is Black super black so black you can see his white teeth from afar ( no offense to anyone)

and my brother is very white, blond, he's actually sort of yelowish looking with thick hair...

and me ..i'm india..not too dark but obviously not white...if you were to see me on Washington heights you will not guess my partents are my parents....but will defintly know if im Domincan...it's the vibe i guess

i am also the first generation born in the USA as Domincan American..

mine is a mixture form Spaniards and Haitians from my moms side and from my dads side is Spaniards, and Tainos..

my last name isn't even Domincan or atleast as popopular as the regular ones like Perez, Sanchez, Rodriguez, Tavarez. etc. etc my last name is Sena,, i've been told it's Brazilian...

this comes to show that Domincans come in all colors and sizes....

i will elaborate more on this later on...

Gima

Last edited:

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
wventura said:
"Indian"???

Will you elaborate on your comment please...

Gima - My mom is very light and my dad is very dark as well - I'm a mut.

milosh

Nov 9, 2004
most of latinoamerica is an amazing mixture of bloods/ethnicities/races! only argentina is relatively homogenous in means of races... most are europeans. such a great mixes you can see only in asian part of russia, too. <;

that's why both russia and latinoamerica are having best girls/women! <;

Matos

Feb 23, 2005
Gimabella i don't think you ever been to dominican rep.

95% of the population in dominican rep. are of african decents. I do believe thougth that your mother is one of those racist dominicans who is ashamed of there african heritage....The taino indians where extint almost as soon as the spaniards landed in hispanola...anyway get back to me if you want to learn more about your culture because obviously the people that have thought you about our culture are either racist dominicans or don't know the truth......

FuegoAzul21

Jun 28, 2004
Matos said:
95% of the population in dominican rep. are of african decents. I do believe thougth that your mother is one of those racist dominicans who is ashamed of there african heritage....The taino indians where extint almost as soon as the spaniards landed in hispanola...anyway get back to me if you want to learn more about your culture because obviously the people that have thought you about our culture are either racist dominicans or don't know the truth......

The one who needs to research dominican culture is you, most sources will say that many if not most Dominicans have Taino ancestry ,not only is it been proven in a historical sense but also in scientific studies.Also, you dont sound like you know too much yourself,you sound like one of those Afro-centric Foreigners that try to convince Dominicans all the time on how they are blacker than the native Africans themselves and only back up thier statements with opinions , Not facts.

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
FuegoAzul21 said:
The one who needs to research dominican culture is you, most sources will say that many if not most Dominicans have Taino ancestry ,not only is it been proven in a historical sense but also in scientific studies.Also, you dont sound like you know too much yourself,you sound like one of those Afro-centric Foreigners that try to convince Dominicans all the time on how they are blacker than the native Africans themselves and only back up thier statements with opinions , Not facts.

Come on FuegoAzul look around the population there is no denying the strong african influence. Taino blood is minimum in the population thus less noticeable. We Dominicans should face the truth about our African blood and stop trying to lighten our skin by calling ourselves Taino. Bottomline, we have more African blood than Taino in our gene pool.

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
Gimabella said:
ok just so you could know...

Domincans are made up of

1- Taino ( indians) which were the first to land in DR

2- Spaniards( white) which decided to eventually take over the island and remove as many indians as they possibly cold, teh Sapniards came to the DR with diseases in their system an dinfected many africans and Tainos which was the result of many of them dying within a small time frame..

3-Afrincans ( black) which were eliminated somehow buy the spaniards.

which means that Domincans are made up of ...
Taino, Spaniards and white,,

regardless of how blue your eyes are and how white your skin is, US you and me , and those who are Domincan have atleast one drop of African and Taino blood with in their body it's a fact..

ok please do not quote me on this, this is from what Professor have told me and what i have understood from many readings that i have done through out hte past if i am wrong on these facts, please correct me, this way i and the rest can learn more about our culture, honestly the Dominican identity as a whole in regards to physical look it's very confusing...

one more thing, my mom is white, really white, people confuse her for European white ( no offense to anyone)

my dad is Black super black so black you can see his white teeth from afar ( no offense to anyone)

and my brother is very white, blond, he's actually sort of yelowish looking with thick hair...

and me ..i'm india..not too dark but obviously not white...if you were to see me on Washington heights you will not guess my partents are my parents....but will defintly know if im Domincan...it's the vibe i guess

i am also the first generation born in the USA as Domincan American..

mine is a mixture form Spaniards and Haitians from my moms side and from my dads side is Spaniards, and Tainos..

my last name isn't even Domincan or atleast as popopular as the regular ones like Perez, Sanchez, Rodriguez, Tavarez. etc. etc my last name is Sena,, i've been told it's Brazilian...

this comes to show that Domincans come in all colors and sizes....

i will elaborate more on this later on...

Gima

NO TELL ME SHERLOCK IF THE AFRICANS WERE ELIMINATED WHY IN HELL WE HAVE SO MANY DARK SKINNED PEOPLE LOL! what a joke.

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
FuegoAzul21 said:

When the mighty CONQUISTADOR came to AMERICA the first thing they found to have sex were INDIAN GIRLS ummmmm! yummy!naked naked they got them pregnant and little MIXED KIDS were born then came the AFRICANS to make sure some work was done in the ISLAND of SPANIOLA and a here we go again the CONQUISTADOR got the black ladies PREGNANT and they had MULATTOS MIXED KIDS and them more mixture came along.

DOMINICANS are the final mixture BREED.

now kids repeat with me........... we are DOMINICANS a MIX NATION with a bunch of colors and shades and the only place in the world that a man will call his girls MORENA even if she's white.

FuegoAzul21

Jun 28, 2004
Stodgord said:
Come on FuegoAzul look around the population there is no denying the strong african influence. Taino blood is minimum in the population thus less noticeable. We Dominicans should face the truth about our African blood and stop trying to lighten our skin by calling ourselves Taino. Bottomline, we have more African blood than Taino in our gene pool.

I have never denied DRs African heritage and i do know that our african side is more noticable than our Taino side .However ,people seem to overlook the taino aspect of our people and culture .I also like to embrace our mixed heritage , which is what all of the Afro-centrics hate .This is because they want everyone to abide by the one drop rule .They also hate it when you embrace another part of your culture.This is when they say things like all Tainos were killed and none of them lived,so dominicans dont have indian blood, thier are no white people in DR , or say that 95% of all Dominicans are 100% black and should only concentrate and apreciate african heritage ONLY.I tend to think its jealousy or just pure hatred of our people.As, a Dominican, i get pissed off when they try to apply foriegn aspects to our culture like the stupid one drop rule and thier other racist concepts.we are a mixed poeple and if god loves us enough and DR gets its act together to try to fortifiy our borders,we always will be y punto

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
milosh said:
most of latinoamerica is an amazing mixture of bloods/ethnicities/races! only argentina is relatively homogenous in means of races... most are europeans. such a great mixes you can see only in asian part of russia, too. <;

that's why both russia and latinoamerica are having best girls/women! <;
Well, you'll be surprised of a new study that came out in Argentina that suggested (I'll try to find the link for this) that most Argetinians (up to 80%) have some indian genes in their DNA.

This is creating huge debates down there, but this is rather interesting.

Just proves things are not what they appear to be.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
ERICKXSON said:
When the mighty CONQUISTADOR came to AMERICA the first thing they found to have sex were INDIAN GIRLS ummmmm! yummy!naked naked they got them pregnant and little MIXED KIDS were born then came the AFRICANS to make sure some work was done in the ISLAND of SPANIOLA and a here we go again the CONQUISTADOR got the black ladies PREGNANT and they had MULATTOS MIXED KIDS and them more mixture came along.

DOMINICANS are the final mixture BREED.

now kids repeat with me........... we are DOMINICANS a MIX NATION with a bunch of colors and shades and the only place in the world that a man will call his girls MORENA even if she's white.
This is so funny, but its true.

People are so ignorant at times. I wish a national DNA study is conducted so this issue can be resolved once and for all.

Don't forget, plenty of Haitian decendants are walking among us. Haitians have been coming in since the 1920s by the thousands, can't expect all of them to just disappear.

So in a sense, "real" Dominicans are mixture of all those migrants, but "Haitian-Dominicans" are not.

And since we are in the middle of a huge passive Haitian invasion, we see alot of black (and I mean black, not dark brown, but black) faces around, more so than ever before.

Period, end of story.

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
FuegoAzul21 said:
I have never denied DRs African heritage and i do know that our african side is more noticable than our Taino side .However ,people seem to overlook the taino aspect of our people and culture .I also like to embrace our mixed heritage , which is what all of the Afro-centrics hate .This is because they want everyone to abide by the one drop rule .They also hate it when you embrace another part of your culture.This is when they say things like all Tainos were killed and none of them lived,so dominicans dont have indian blood, thier are no white people in DR , or say that 95% of all Dominicans are 100% black and should only concentrate and apreciate african heritage ONLY.I tend to think its jealousy or just pure hatred of our people.As, a Dominican, i get pissed off when they try to apply foriegn aspects to our culture like the stupid one drop rule and thier other racist concepts.we are a mixed poeple and if god loves us enough and DR gets its act together to try to fortifiy our borders,we always will be y punto

Such Afro-Centric attitude comes from people who have been highly influence by the US since the US is the only country in the world to use the one drop rule.

I wonder what would happen if a Martin Luther King inspired mulatto begins to ask for Mulatto Americans to stop hiding under the "black" label and ask for their own recognition rather than being told pure lies.

The last time I check, when you mix Hydrogen with Oxygen you get water and water is neither Hydrogen or Oxygen, but something new called water.

When you mix white colors with black colors you get grey, grey is not white or black, but something new called grey.

When you mix a white rose with a red rose you get a pink rose, the pink rose is not white or red, but something new called pink.

When you mix a white person with a black person (and add Tainoism here and there) you get a mulatto, a mulatto is not white or black or Taino, but something new, mulatto.

End of story. The laws of nature are the same in all situation in this universe, period.

Tordok

Bronze
Oct 6, 2003
Tvagyok! and Gimabella are clearly young and trying to learn re. themselves and their Dominican ancestry. Some people quickly jump into conclusions on this topic. For all to see the DR is a multiracial/interracial/transracial society. Percentages, etc by perceived phenotypes, are useless. People must understand that the DR has been the epicenter of miscegenation. Mixing has been going on for over five centuries, and its now happening elsewhere in the world, but Dominicans have been at it longer. The Dominican people are always welcoming of foreigners to visit, or stay and mix (excepted from such a friendly welcome- for historical reasons- are the Haitians; who come, stay and mix just as well anyways).

The physical space occupied by the DR today is literally where for the first time in human history the peoples from the so-called American Indies, from western Europe, and from sub-saharan Africa, all shared a small geography.

I just flew back from SDQ via MIA sitting the whole trip next to whom appeared to me to be a Korean-American female teenager from suburban Seoul, or Seattle. As soon as we landed she was on her cell phone to her local friends in her distinctly Dominican-styled "capitale?ita" teenager lingo.

She had thought that I was "American" and I had thought that she was Asian. We were both Dominican!! We had a good laugh. At the end of the day we must feel proud and learn from the whole spectrum of ethnic influences we have. Even if a few on any end of the spectrum don't really have DNA from all the groups (genes), we all have shared the cultural heritage (memes) which is the result of all the cultures (and not just races) coming together in the Dominicus hemi-insula.

DR was also influenced by the infamous French who where capable of stating such things as Vive la difference! as well as Liberte, Egalite,
Fraternite. We are equals while being different. Homogeneous and heterogeneous at the same time. Deal with it!!

- Tordok

chadfisher21

Feb 13, 2005
Dominican Blood

Fact of the matter is, all Dominicans have African blood in them. It's amazing to see the racism that goes on here. No one like to admit that they're part African yet it's true. Also, I don't care if you're a second generatiuon DOminican or a tenth generatiuon Dominican, you're DOMINICAN! Same mentality and all, maybe a little smarter. It's like they think if they go and have their kids in the States they're American somehow, ohh sure by paper but sure as hell not by blood! Domincans think for some odd reason that if you're not balck black like Haitians, then you're white somehow. My father is whit, yeah like American white, and my mother is brown, not brown black, but actual brown like Indian from India with straight hair and everything. And I'm light skin with dark hair, but everyone here calls you white. But like whatever, guess it's part of the culture, that or they're so ashamed of their heritage that they have to call everyone white otherwise they aren't.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
chadfisher21 said:
Fact of the matter is, all Dominicans have African blood in them. It's amazing to see the racism that goes on here. No one like to admit that they're part African yet it's true. Also, I don't care if you're a second generatiuon DOminican or a tenth generatiuon Dominican, you're DOMINICAN! Same mentality and all, maybe a little smarter. It's like they think if they go and have their kids in the States they're American somehow, ohh sure by paper but sure as hell not by blood! Domincans think for some odd reason that if you're not balck black like Haitians, then you're white somehow. My father is whit, yeah like American white, and my mother is brown, not brown black, but actual brown like Indian from India with straight hair and everything. And I'm light skin with dark hair, but everyone here calls you white. But like whatever, guess it's part of the culture, that or they're so ashamed of their heritage that they have to call everyone white otherwise they aren't.
It's rather ignorant to say all Dominican have African blood when in fact, all don't have African blood.

If you would have said, many Dominicans have some African blood (by saying some, you recognize there is a mixture, where else will you see dark skin people with blue eyes for example).

There are many Dominicans who clearly don't have any black blood in them, I'm one of them and there are many like my self. In fact, look at our last suppose president Hipolito, as much of a traitor he was to the nation, he is still a white Dominican.

The only real blacks (unmixed blacks) found today in the DR are Dominicans of American slave decendants from Samana, Dominicans decendants of the Congolese from Villa Mella, and the Dominicans decendants of Cocolos from San Pedro de Macoris. Aside from those, the other pure blacks are Haitians and Dominicans of Haitian decent.

Other than that, it's a conction of mulattos, Asian-Dominicans, middle eastern-Dominicans, jewish-Dominicans, japanese-Dominicans, etc etc etc

A new study recently using mitocondrial DNA (the type inherited from the mother which happens to never change its form through generation) found that many Dominicans (more than many Afro-centric peoples would like to accept) have some Taino traits in their bloods and the same spells for Puerto Rico.

Also, I'll suggest you come to the DR and take a visit to the Vega Real (especially the Campo named Baqui and Maguey) and then come here and tell everyone that there are no Dominicans with heavy Taino phenotypes and genes. As you will see, many folks (especially in those two campos, but also in many other campos in the areas) have yellowish to light skin with dark spots due to the sun, high cheek bones, and other physical features that clearly point to strong Taino features.

Also, in every Dominican home, the concept of who is family, the roles of the mother in the house, and cooking methods is a mixture of our European, Taino, and African cultures blended into one.

certain food (like Casabe), certain music instruments (like the Guira), certain vocabulary (like bohio), the typical wood shack homes found all over the countryside (which are Taino style bohios), and names of places (like Bonao) are all from the Taino influence and Spanish influence.

In addition to this, many Dominicans have traits that only Indians have, like the so called shovel teeth.

I understand its hard for many Afro-Centric peoples, especially those from the United States, to accept that mixed people are called mixed because they are not purely one or the other thing, aside from being purely mixed!

I know its hard for Americans and American-influenced peoples to accept the mixture that has occured in the DR because the US is a country that is still lagging behind when it comes to race.

They think branding people into white or black is good, but that notion came from the racist white of the South of the USA who wanted to keep their white blood pure. Thus, any body with any tiny bit of black blood is considered black in the US, but that is to keep the whites pure.

The real blacks also abuse from the mulattos by forcing them to believe that they are black when they are not. The reason for this is for more political power. The reality is that a mulatto is called mulatto for a reason and that reason is because a mulatto is nothing more than a mulatto, not white or black.

In South Africa, mixed peoples are called Coloured, in the rest of the world they are called Mulattos, in the USA they are called black. Guess what, majority rules, US kick your racist view out the window and accept reality.

The world doesn't come in nice packages. It would have been nice if the world could easily be divided into simple and nice packages, but that is not the case, so adjust you views to reality and stop trying to cover the sun with one finger.

Hopefully, in this day and age of DNA technology, we would be able to take samples of many if not most Dominicans to fully make it clear to everybody of the mixtures that exist in the eastern two thirds of the island of Hispaniola.

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Also, I don't care if you're a second generatiuon DOminican or a tenth generatiuon Dominican, you're DOMINICAN! Same mentality and all, maybe a little smarter. It's like they think if they go and have their kids in the States they're American somehow, ohh sure by paper but sure as hell not by blood!
Can't argue with you here, you hit the nail.

Domincans think for some odd reason that if you're not balck black like Haitians, then you're white somehow. My father is whit, yeah like American white, and my mother is brown, not brown black, but actual brown like Indian from India with straight hair and everything. And I'm light skin with dark hair, but everyone here calls you white. But like whatever, guess it's part of the culture, that or they're so ashamed of their heritage that they have to call everyone white otherwise they aren't.
Well, if you are lighter than your mother, then expect your mother side of the family to call you claro or blanco. If your skin color is closer to that of whites than blacks or browns, then expect to be considered claro or blanco as well.

Also, keep in mind that its just a way of differentiating you from maybe your cousins (who might be a varied colors) and/or other peoples around.

The fact that they call you blanco, doesn't mean you are white, it just mean you are light skin. Keep in mind that you have european blood in you from your father side and clearly Taino and maybe some African blood from your mother side. The straight hair from your mother is clearly a native trait. You are the quitessential Dominican, a mixture of the three pillars Dominicans society stands upon.

Also, just how the word Indio is used here in the DR to mean a mixed person, not an indian.

In Haiti, the word Blanc (which means White in French and in Creole) is used to mean a foreigners, not necessarily a white person.

However, you will hear many Haitians and American blacks and American non-blacks say that Dominicans use the word indio to hide their African heritage and that is just not true.

Just how the Haitians use the word blanc to mean non-Haitian, they don't use it to hide their European influences, which although are less so than other areas of the hemisphere, Haiti still has some French influences.

Status
Not open for further replies.