Money when arriving to POP

pepe1895

Jan 31, 2005
We'll arrive in Puerto Plata and will need to take a cab (guess that's our best bet?) to our AI in Sosua. Will we get by on USD until we can get hold of an ATM or do we need to exchange money at POP? Is there an ATM at POP?

Also, we'll of course use common sense in order not to get robbed (use hotel safe, not wear jewelry, not carry around too much cash etc), but is there anything that we should be particular aware of?

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
You could change the US to pesos at the cambio in the airport. That's what most people do.

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
The cambio at the airport is one of the best anywhere.
I don't recall seeing an ATM but I wasn't looking for one.

Just hang a right when you exit and it is in the corner just past the food stands.

Just use common sense which seems to work as well in the Dominican Republic as anywhere.

Barry

Jun 28, 2003
There is an ATM next to the right of the Rental cars stalls. The taxi will quote you a fare in USD anyway so you might as well pay in USD, If you pay in DOPthe exchange rate He gives you will not be as good as you get at an ATM or Cmbio.

john cast

Oct 3, 2004
just usd

pepe1895 said:
We'll arrive in Puerto Plata and will need to take a cab (guess that's our best bet?) to our AI in Sosua. Will we get by on USD until we can get hold of an ATM or do we need to exchange money at POP? Is there an ATM at POP?

Also, we'll of course use common sense in order not to get robbed (use hotel safe, not wear jewelry, not carry around too much cash etc), but is there anything that we should be particular aware of?
i just left pp a few weeks ago and found they took usd all over,you also can order rd,s from thomas cook money ex and they will send rd,s right too your house

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Oh my goodness, don't do that.

Thomas Cook will give you an exchange rate much, much lower than the going rates. Talk to the taxi and ask how much (?Cu?nto?) Tell him: "Mucho!" and walk away. Ask another one. Make sure you both know how much you are going to pay-dollars are fine for this one ride.

You can exchange your money at any of the Cambios in Sos?a or at the Banco Santa Cruz. (Or there at the airport if it is open.

Have a good time.

HB

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
exchange rate

The last time we came down (10/04) the exchange rate was better at the Miami airport then in the DR. True there was a $4 USD fee, but that was for any amount. If you were exchanging more then $125 it paid for itself with the better rate.
Bob K

Gregg

Apr 26, 2004
posted rate of $20 USD

the posted rate at the taxi stand is $20 USD from the airport to Sosua. not sure if this is also adjusted for the the number of passengers. something to work from as you begin your bargaining. please take the term "posted" with a grain of salt ...everythiing can be negotiated. of course, that gets harder once they find out you're staying at a nice hotel...

Hillbilly said:
Thomas Cook will give you an exchange rate much, much lower than the going rates. Talk to the taxi and ask how much (?Cu?nto?) Tell him: "Mucho!" and walk away. Ask another one. Make sure you both know how much you are going to pay-dollars are fine for this one ride.

You can exchange your money at any of the Cambios in Sos?a or at the Banco Santa Cruz. (Or there at the airport if it is open.

Have a good time.

HB

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
Hi Gregg

Do you know what the posted rate is to Playa Dorada?

Thanks
Daydream

QUOTE=Gregg]the posted rate at the taxi stand is $20 USD from the airport to Sosua. not sure if this is also adjusted for the the number of passengers. something to work from as you begin your bargaining. please take the term "posted" with a grain of salt ...everythiing can be negotiated. of course, that gets harder once they find out you're staying at a nice hotel...[/QUOTE]

Gregg

Apr 26, 2004
sorry, no

i can't recall Playa Dorada rates. they are all posted on a big board in two different locations at the airport. just take your time, didn't find the taxi guys too agressive at all.

Taxi cost PP to PDorada

Hi

Just caught my eye... believe Puerto Plata airport to Playa Dorada should be about $30.

Also have other details and info about traveling around and transport now on our free info site, maybe some interest. Also happy to try and answer anything we can that doesn't get response quick enuff on a forum. Or to receive any useful feedback for updating our pages and blog.

Kind wishes, hope you have a good trip

R
http://visiting-the-dominican-republic.com/ (the site)
the Blog

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
Thanks DominicanR

That link looks great.....lots of useful info. I will PM if I have any feedback once I've had a proper read.

Thanks again
Daydream

DominicanR said:
Hi

Just caught my eye... believe Puerto Plata airport to Playa Dorada should be about $30.

Also have other details and info about traveling around and transport now on our free info site, maybe some interest. Also happy to try and answer anything we can that doesn't get response quick enuff on a forum. Or to receive any useful feedback for updating our pages and blog.

Kind wishes, hope you have a good trip

R
http://visiting-the-dominican-republic.com/ (the site)
the Blog