Traveling to the DR...staying in Playa Real

dcrossnet

Feb 8, 2005
Hi All,
I will be traveling to the DR this week and will stay in Playa Real. I want to know a few things to be prepared when I arrive.

Are they still harrasing us at the Aduana with our luggage?
I.e. (Are they taking everything out of every luggage?)

Do the people checking expect a "tip" or is this now "illegal"?

How much are we tipping the baggage person who is moving out luggage to the door and then the sidewalk?

How much is the cab ride to Playa Real (Juan Dolio) from the airport?

What is the condition of Playa Real these days? I read mixed reviews about it, but noticed that they were rather dated. I am hoping that things have improved a bit. What restaruants would you recommend in the area?

Should I rent a car or should I hire a driver for the day if I want to travel to the city? If I should rent a car, are there any places in Juan Dolio that you would recommend?

I am traveling with small children (3yr and a 11 yr). What kind of bottled water is "trustworthy"? I am trying to keep them as safe as possible as far as getting sick since they are so young.

Do you recommend I take stroller for the little one? Can I count on maybe having a "nanny" to help me out?

What is the weather like these days?

I am dominican and have traveled many times, but I have not been back since 1999. This will be my first time that I will be traveling with my babies and I am a little uneasy about it. As you know you have to be on your toes there cause your always a target of some scam or overcharging etc. And I can almost imagine me trying to negotiate or trying to dismiss someone trying to sell me something as my three year is running around getting into things.

Can you tell I am a little anxious about this trip?

Regards,
DC