Travelling in DR with infants

Scarlet

Feb 9, 2005
We're on our way to DR shortly, and was wondering if someone has some late minute info for us!

First; is disposable diapers easily available, and does it match European brands? What about baby wipes?

Secondly; any experience in travelling around with an infant? Any point in bringing a car seat? That is, do the buses have seat belts to fasten it with? Or must we just carry him around (which we NEVER would have done at home.. ;) )

All other tips and info would also be highly appreciated!

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Scarlet said:
We're on our way to DR shortly, and was wondering if someone has some late minute info for us!

First; is disposable diapers easily available, and does it match European brands? What about baby wipes?

Secondly; any experience in travelling around with an infant? Any point in bringing a car seat? That is, do the buses have seat belts to fasten it with? Or must we just carry him around (which we NEVER would have done at home.. ;) )

All other tips and info would also be highly appreciated!

Diapers and baby wipes available at supermarkets. Lots of the standard brands -- Huggies, Pampers, etc.

You should bring your car seat if you will be renting a car as these are not available. Buses do not have seat belts to fasten it with.

Milk and baby food not a problem, but you would be better off mashing fresh fruit for your baby.

Scarlet

Feb 9, 2005
Thanks a lot for a quick reply, good to know. :D

Food is not a problem, as I'm still breast-feeding.

A linked question, what's the appropriate manner regarding breast-feeding in DR? In Scandinavia, we do it litterarily anywhere - restaurants and caf?'s, you name it..

As I know it's not necessarily like that everywhere, I'd rather not offend anyone!
Is it OK to brest-feed at the beach? Is there areas in restaurants that is appropriate? Not at the table, I recon...

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Bring an initial supply of your usual diapers and wipes, as they are expensive here.

When renting a car you will have to specify that you want one with rear seatbelts for the car seat. Not all cars have them. In some cases, rental companies provide baby/toddler seats but I wouldn't count on it.

Other useful supplies include baby mosquito repellent and mosquito nets for the baby's cot and buggy.

Pack some baby snack type things for journeys.

Have a great trip. Although Dominicans as a whole do not have the same attitude when it comes to child-safety, they are wonderful with babies - I'll never forget the kindness of restaurant staff who offer to hold the baby so that we could enjoy our meal in peace. That doesn't happen very much north of the Pyrenees!

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
I would also reccommend some sort of netting to keep bugs off of your child while sleeping.Sorry didn't see same reccomendation above.

Last edited:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Scarlet said:
Thanks a lot for a quick reply, good to know. :D

Food is not a problem, as I'm still breast-feeding.

A linked question, what's the appropriate manner regarding breast-feeding in DR? In Scandinavia, we do it litterarily anywhere - restaurants and caf?'s, you name it..

As I know it's not necessarily like that everywhere, I'd rather not offend anyone!
Is it OK to brest-feed at the beach? Is there areas in restaurants that is appropriate? Not at the table, I recon...

OK, I took the baby milk comment out of my reply when I saw your post!

I get the impression you have to be more discreet in public in the DR than you would at home. I had stopped breastfeeding by the time I arrived here with my baby, so I only have other people's experience to go by.

E.g. I was at a children's birthday party the other day, and two mothers were breastfeeding in public. I noticed a couple of hostile glares from other (upper middle class Dominican) women. One of the breastfeeding mothers was foreign, and the other one was Dominican but has lived away from the DR for many years. Unfortunately it is viewed as a backward thing in some circles. Having said that, as a foreigner you are given some leeway as you are expected to be a little different. ;)

I would say - just judge each situation as it comes. The fact that you are asking the question reveals that you are a sensitive and considerate person.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Try this!

Don't forget to put cotton on your infant's ears for when you are in the plane.

Also keep baby's "bobo" in his mouth.

Am I right mothers?.

Scarlet

Feb 9, 2005
Chirimoya said:
...Having said that, as a foreigner you are given some leeway as you are expected to be a little different. ;)

I would say - just judge each situation as it comes. The fact that you are asking the question reveals that you are a sensitive and considerate person.

Thanks a lot :blush: - I'll play it by ear, then ;)

As for the price of diapers - can't possibly be any more expensive than in Norway! :ermm:

But we'll bring a small stock, anyway...

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
miguel said:
Don't forget to put cotton on your infant's ears for when you are in the plane.

Also keep baby's "bobo" in his mouth.

Am I right mothers?.

If she's breastfeeding, I doubt the baby has a 'bobo'. It's a good idea to feed the baby while taking off and landing to avoid those ear problems.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Of course he can have his bobo

I am sure a lot of the other passengers would enjoy that!..

P.S. My Mother inLaw got my boys on bobos at day one so the the "other" bobo would get some rest..

HB, enjoy your vacation.. Laika til!

Scarlet

Feb 9, 2005
Hillbilly said:
I am sure a lot of the other passengers would enjoy that!..

P.S. My Mother inLaw got my boys on bobos at day one so the the "other" bobo would get some rest..

HB, enjoy your vacation.. Laika til!

:lol:

Trust me, it's amazing how fast you get used to flash your "bobos" everywhere! ;D
It's, like, they're just not mine anymore...

So I'll definetly breast-feed during take-off and landing, amusing or not. Much more efficient that the other bobos..

Thanks, everyone, for great info! See y'all in Santo Domingo Saturday.. ;D