Take some reponsibility!!!!

travelling

Feb 20, 2003
Robert: You cannot post threads from other sites on this message board unless your the author of that thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I agree with you.
There has been way too much exagerating going on, and as for all these people looking to blame someone and hold them responsible, maybe we should hold them responsible the next time they have a cold and give it to us.

travelling

Feb 20, 2003
Revised POST

Sorry Robert, even though I live in Sosua and read these boards often I do not post often- I have deleted the Post from the "other forum" but would still like to post my rant- this is about the complaints many are airing about getting the flu at a few resorts and from travelling to the DR and the fact that many are blaming their travel agents for not warning them:

You cannot hold yout travel agent responsible. Your travel agent deals with many, many destinations, hotels and clients every day. How could he/she possibly know what is happening EVERYWHERE in the world every day, during FLU SEASON?
Just because you are going on holiday does not make you immune from the person sitting next to you on the plane, next to you in your office, etc... When you go on holiday you go with a thousand or more Canadians, Americans, Europeans, etc. that travel with you, wherever you end up.
Paradise? YES
Immunity? NO
We live in Sosua. There is a virus going around that is no different than any virus going around anywhere else when there is an "outbreak"- it happens in every city and town everywhere every winter. We are no different. For all we know it came on a plane from Toronto, London England, or Florida. Wherever, all it takes is a plane load of people, a large resort, a cruise ship, or a lot of people under the right (or wrong) circumstances, to get whatever virus is lurking. Many of these viruses are airborne- no matter how much disinfectant is used, if someone breaths, or coughs near you, you could catch it.

I have travelled a lot of places and determined that if I am going to get sick, whether it is from a virus, overindulging, or sheer luck - I have to accept it as it comes.
I hope that this gives some people some thoughts about what travel agents should be responsible for. They are not doctors, clairvoinants OR weathermen. Even weather patterns are abnormal this year- EVERYWHERE.
In short, BUY EXTRA CANCELLATION AND MEDICAL INSURANCE, and remember- whether you plan your vacation 6 months ahead (how could anyone know what will happen that far in advance) or last minute- stay up to date and if there is a national health warning, you'll be covered. At worst you will have a bad travel story LIKE ALL OF US.
Thanks for letting me RANT!

Last edited:

A.J.

Jan 2, 2002
Amen!!!!!!!

I am so tired of people saying it is something in the Dominican Republic that got them sick. Yep it was another damn tourist. I wish the CDC would come down and do a history of this "epidemic" and for the last time show how it came down to the DR and did start here - it is not a flippin tropical disease.

Okay I am done with my rant now.