schools in Santiago

ada

Feb 2, 2005
I am planning to move to Santiago in August. I have a three year old and am interested in enrolling her in a nursery school. I would prefer the school to instruct mostly in English. If anyone has any suggestions I would really appreciate it.

Redscot

Dec 10, 2004
You can also try New Horizons. I am in the process of enrolling my 4 year old and 10 year old there for the next school year. Either option will be pricey. On another note my wife, relocateing from NYC plans on opening a small nursery/pre-school in Santiago starting next September. She will be offering a bilingual curriculum and has run a similiar school here in NYC for 6 years. If you have any questions about New Horizons, Santiago Cristian school, or her school ask away, as we have just recently gone through this process ourselves and may be able to answer some of your questions.

Ian

ada

Feb 2, 2005
Redscot said:
You can also try New Horizons. I am in the process of enrolling my 4 year old and 10 year old there for the next school year. Either option will be pricey. On another note my wife, relocateing from NYC plans on opening a small nursery/pre-school in Santiago starting next September. She will be offering a bilingual curriculum and has run a similiar school here in NYC for 6 years. If you have any questions about New Horizons, Santiago Cristian school, or her school ask away, as we have just recently gone through this process ourselves and may be able to answer some of your questions.

Ian
Thank you for your suggestions. I will definetely look into New Horizons. Do you know exactly where it is? I am planning to go to Santiago in Feb. or March and maybe I can check it out. Also, where is your wife opening the school. That sounds like a good option also. You mentioned she runs one here in NYC. Is it possible for me to have the name of the school so I can maybe get an idea of the type of school she will be opening? I am also relocating from NYC. I am currently a Spanish High School teacher in Yonkers. If possible, could you tell me a ballpark figure for New Horizons? Also, overall how has the process been you and your wife finding schools? Any suggestions on what to watch out for? Sorry for so many questions. Thank you so much

Redscot

Dec 10, 2004
ada said:
Thank you for your suggestions. I will definetely look into New Horizons. Do you know exactly where it is? I am planning to go to Santiago in Feb. or March and maybe I can check it out. Also, where is your wife opening the school. That sounds like a good option also. You mentioned she runs one here in NYC. Is it possible for me to have the name of the school so I can maybe get an idea of the type of school she will be opening? I am also relocating from NYC. I am currently a Spanish High School teacher in Yonkers. If possible, could you tell me a ballpark figure for New Horizons? Also, overall how has the process been you and your wife finding schools? Any suggestions on what to watch out for? Sorry for so many questions. Thank you so much

New Horizons is in Los Jardines. For a 3 year old it would cost roughly $90k Peso's for the year, 8 am to 12:45. Santiago Cristian school is comparable in price. Both schools were very helpfull when my wife visited so I am sure they would be open to you coming by and checking them out.

As for my wife's "school" it really started as a daycare and has evolved into a small school we run out of our home. We were planning on expanding it here in the near future, but have decided to take the venture with us to D.R. (where my wife was born and raised). She is a licensed childcare provider and has many continuing education hours in childhood development. My undergraduate work also focused on Childhood development. We will be in Santiago the last week of April, and then relocateing at the end of the school year. If you would like to get together at that point we would gladly offer any help we could, we will probably be needing a lot ourselves as we orient ourselves.

Ian

ada

Feb 2, 2005
Redscot said:
New Horizons is in Los Jardines. For a 3 year old it would cost roughly $90k Peso's for the year, 8 am to 12:45. Santiago Cristian school is comparable in price. Both schools were very helpfull when my wife visited so I am sure they would be open to you coming by and checking them out.

As for my wife's "school" it really started as a daycare and has evolved into a small school we run out of our home. We were planning on expanding it here in the near future, but have decided to take the venture with us to D.R. (where my wife was born and raised). She is a licensed childcare provider and has many continuing education hours in childhood development. My undergraduate work also focused on Childhood development. We will be in Santiago the last week of April, and then relocateing at the end of the school year. If you would like to get together at that point we would gladly offer any help we could, we will probably be needing a lot ourselves as we orient ourselves.

Ian
Thank you so much for your help. Do you by any chance have a number or website for New Horizons? Your wife's "school" also sounds like an option. My daughter right now is in a bilingual daycare in NYC and it's working out pretty good. I think it would be a great idea to get together in the future as we all are going to have to orient ourselves. My husband is from Santiago but I am not. I was born and raised in NYC so it will take a little adjusting for me. Thanks so much for your help.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
We found a great little school for our three year old in Villa Olga. Price is 21,600 pesos per year. It is not bilingual but a great school. Her English education comes from me here at home.

ada

Feb 2, 2005
Snuffy said:
We found a great little school for our three year old in Villa Olga. Price is 21,600 pesos per year. It is not bilingual but a great school. Her English education comes from me here at home.
What is the name of the school? If you don't mind, what makes it such a great school? How is it working out teaching the English at home? I was considering that. The problem is that my husband doesn't speak English so she will also speak Spanish at home. Right now she is more fluent in English than Spanish. (Both are spoken at home) This is why I would rather have her have as much English education in the schools being that she will get the Spanish socially. I'm curious to know how it is working out with your three year old.

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
From an earlier post, I just cut & pasted, for the info, on New Horizons.

Tim H.
:smoke:

By far, New Horizons offered the most for the dollar.
About the same for a good Catholic school back home in NY.

Well worth a visit, They have a large library,
the school is wired for I-net in the class.
And it is Bi-lingual.

Check them out.

New Horizons Bi-Lingual School

Ave. Sarasota 51, Bella Vista,
Santo Domingo, Rep?blica Dominicana.
Tel (809) 533-4915 ext. 501, 502, 503
Fax (809) 534-9171
Homepage:
www.gcnewhorizons.net
E-mail:
info@gcnewhorizons.net

Check out the class webcams, M-F, they turn them off after school and weekends.
New Horizons: http://gcnewhorizons.net/colegiox/

Other choices.

Carol Morgan: http://www.cms.edu.do/tmsPUBLISHER/
Lux Mundi. www.luxmundi.edunexo.com.do
ICDA: http://www.icda.edu.do/english/index.asp
Colegio Americano de Santo Domingo in Arroyo Hondo. Its phone number is 567-6824.

Home Schooling?????

Also, ask Dolores, dolores@dr1.com

Tim H.:cool:

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
sent you a PM.

ada said:
I am planning to move to Santiago in August. I have a three year old and am interested in enrolling her in a nursery school. I would prefer the school to instruct mostly in English. If anyone has any suggestions I would really appreciate it.

oooooo

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
From the prospective of your child's future

Are you planning on living forever in the DR?

Will your child be going to university in the DR?

If affirmative, than a very solid base in Spanish is more necessary than her English. Most of the kids we get at the university from bilingual or English language schools can't write a sentence in Spanish, and they really suffer in a classroom environment.

There are tons of very adequate schools for 3 year olds..particularly, de la Salle, Sagrado Coraz?n, da Vinci, Colegio Dominicano, Montissori(sp?) and many others.

Most people with the means will educate their children in the Spanish language schools, put the kids in an English language institute in the afternoons and then, often times during their university years-sometimes before through different programs like AFS and others-send their kids to college 9or high school) programs in the US. One such program is at Cortland State where they offer a 2 yr. AA degree in business. Lots of people here have the degree.
Others send the kids to camp in the states.

With one English speaker in the house, the kid should be bilingual if there is consistency. As an example, for the first 6 1/2 years of his life, I never spoke Spanish to my grandson. He understands me perfectly, even if he answers me in Spanish. It is "our" language. Sometimes he becomes a mimic and repeats everything I say, and I can attest to the fact that his pronunciation and comprehension are very very good.

In conclusion, language should not be the primary concern in finding a place for your child. Quality and convenience is much more important at this stage.

The educational observer,

HB :D:D

PS. the New Horizons is located between Calle 15 and Calle 10 in the Jardines Metropolitanos, near Mr. Movie.

As I re-read your OP, one of the very best nursery schools is called El Nido and is located up in the area called La Trinitaria. Between Calle Reina de las Flores and Guayacanes. The inscription fee is RD$8000, and monthly fees are about half that. (More than a med student pays at the Univ.!) But, it is excellent, really excellent. Inscriptions are this month and next for next August, for all of the good schools.

Last edited:

ada

Feb 2, 2005
Hillbilly said:
Are you planning on living forever in the DR?

Will your child be going to university in the DR?

If affirmative, than a very solid base in Spanish is more necessary than her English. Most of the kids we get at the university from bilingual or English language schools can't write a sentence in Spanish, and they really suffer in a classroom environment.

There are tons of very adequate schools for 3 year olds..particularly, de la Salle, Sagrado Coraz?n, da Vinci, Colegio Dominicano, Montissori(sp?) and many others.

Most people with the means will educate their children in the Spanish language schools, put the kids in an English language institute in the afternoons and then, often times during their university years-sometimes before through different programs like AFS and others-send their kids to college 9or high school) programs in the US. One such program is at Cortland State where they offer a 2 yr. AA degree in business. Lots of people here have the degree.
Others send the kids to camp in the states.

With one English speaker in the house, the kid should be bilingual if there is consistency. As an example, for the first 6 1/2 years of his life, I never spoke Spanish to my grandson. He understands me perfectly, even if he answers me in Spanish. It is "our" language. Sometimes he becomes a mimic and repeats everything I say, and I can attest to the fact that his pronunciation and comprehension are very very good.

In conclusion, language should not be the primary concern in finding a place for your child. Quality and convenience is much more important at this stage.

The educational observer,

HB :D:D

PS. the New Horizons is located between Calle 15 and Calle 10 in the Jardines Metropolitanos, near Mr. Movie.

As I re-read your OP, one of the very best nursery schools is called El Nido and is located up in the area called La Trinitaria. Between Calle Reina de las Flores and Guayacanes. The inscription fee is RD$8000, and monthly fees are about half that. (More than a med student pays at the Univ.!) But, it is excellent, really excellent. Inscriptions are this month and next for next August, for all of the good schools.

Thank you for the insight. I am not sure if we will be staying in the DR forever. But it is something to think about. Have you or anyone heard of a school called Holy Trinity. Someone told me it is really good. Thanx.