Herbal Remedies in the DR

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I was with a Dominican employee yesterday when he took three tablets of Cat's Claw. When asked "what for "he said it was for excess stomach gas. So I asked why not take Gas X or any of the many other off the shelf products marketed for this problem. His response was that Dominicans prefer "natural products" and that most people in the DR use products such as Cat's Claw, etc.
I am interested in knowing more about this subject--true-not true--which herbals are used for what, etc.

JOHN

tiguerita

Jan 5, 2004
Herbal remedies

:glasses:

Well, I know for example that for upset stomach there is:

Limon (lime) fresh squeezed with a little salt and water

and more severe stomach problems (possible amoebas):

Take the guts (seeds and stuff) out of an Auyama (squash like gourd vegetable) and boil in water. Drink like a tea.

I love collecting these recipes... hope to see some more posts.

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
There is a tea for just about everything.
Gingibre, cereza etc.
I had an upset stomach once and a friend made me a platao asado.
I think it has to do with the price of medicine. It's a lot cheaper to stick a leaf on your foehead that buy a round of antibiotics.
Just my opinion.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The aloe plant is very medicinal

as is the vine called "cundeamor" .

Women in Palenque, San Cristobal have been researched and seen to have as many as 48 different "teas" for avoiding or terminating pregnancies.

The roots of the weed called "Caldo Santo" is also medicinal.

Leaves of citrus fruits are often made into teas.

Any elderly woman in a remote countryside can give you a long list of things to take for different ailments.

HB:D witchdoctor

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Hillbilly said:
Any elderly woman in a remote countryside can give you a long list of things to take for different ailments.
That's my suegra you're talking about!!

She has a remedy for everything, ranging from effective to outlandish. She's given me all sorts of recipes for flu tonics and much more. Bay rum, guatapanal, citrus leaves, watercress, sheep fat (at least I think it's fat :nervous: ) are some of the things she swears by.

We had a discussion about it in the Dominican Cooking forum, which features several other examples.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
As others have mentioned, there are natural "meds" available for almost anything, from infection, to gripe, to inducing abortion of an unwanted fetus. And almost every Dominican has his favorites.

mariaobetsanov

Jan 2, 2002
There sre manyCures!

For a unwanted prenancy= tripa de calabaso and run.
For dyaria=oregano tea.
For hi ph in the urine= almidon de yuca.
for healing cut that /is or/might get infected= almidon de yuca =sufer(1) and (1) teranicin or penicilin. powder together applied locally.