The witch hunt in Sosua, can it be legal ?

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
For more than a week now, the police have been very active arresting girls after dark in Sosua. It seem they are taking almost every local girl they sees, prostitutes or not. After what I have heard they will be relased if they pay 1500 pesos.
Is it realy legal what the Police does ?

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
Tor said:
For more than a week now, the police have been very active arresting girls after dark in Sosua. It seem they are taking almost every local girl they sees, prostitutes or not. After what I have heard they will be relased if they pay 1500 pesos.
Is it realy legal what the Police does ?

Everthing that they do is Illegal. They do what ever they want. I mean they have to spice up their income you know.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
OK..got this message when I tried to reply to the message.

Sorry! The administrator has specified that users can only post one message every 30 seconds.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
They have been doing that for as long as I have been visiting DR. It is 1500 pesos now hmmm? It was 500 pesos a few years ago. 500 pesos or a sexual service to be released.

You are not in Kansas anymore.

Larry

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
To answer your question

No, it is not legal, unless the girls are actively committing an act of prostitution. The new Penal Code says that nobody can be arrested unless the arresting officer has a written order from a competent judge and is accompanied by an assistan DA.
The exceptions to this rule are crimes that are discovered as they are being committed: in flagrante delicto (red handed). The application of this proviso, only six months old, will take some time to be instituted throughout the police system..

If the girls had any knowledge or were smarter, they would have a lawyer on their speed dial.

HB

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
The OP surprised me, because I was told the same thing as HB cited about the new penal code in the DR (hi HB! Need to contact you about a "date" in April ;) ). I also heard that nearly 20 Police Officers from Sosua were transferred to other places, and it was generally new blood in the PD. So if all above is true, obviously changes that were supposed to have improved the system haven't made an improvement at all. What a surprise (sic)... :tired:

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Larry said:
They have been doing that for as long as I have been visiting DR. It is 1500 pesos now hmmm? It was 500 pesos a few years ago. 500 pesos or a sexual service to be released.

You are not in Kansas anymore.

Larry

Yes I know they has ben doing this all the time. But the last weeks there have been some kind off massive action. The rumours say that the AI's is behind and paying for it. Don't know if that's true. The result is that Sosua the last days has become pretty dead at night even if it's in the middle of the high season.

La Gata

Jul 16, 2003
www.myspace.com
Yea, Cobra is cracking down!

My house was robbed about 2 months ago went to the police and even with friends who are police they never arrested the guy! It happened again, same guy with two friends, went to the police, 5 mins after the report was filed, I was loaded into a police car to take 4 police to where I knew these guys would be! We found one and he was arrested on the spot and sent to POP, the other two are in hiding, but they are constantly looking for them and calling me to see if I had seen them!!!

I am impressed! I am not complaining, please clean up sosua!!!! :)

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Tor said:
Yes I know they has ben doing this all the time. But the last weeks there have been some kind off massive action. The rumours say that the AI's is behind and paying for it. Don't know if that's true. The result is that Sosua the last days has become pretty dead at night even if it's in the middle of the high season.

Whoever is behind it, I'm all for it. If you have been to Sosua recently, you've seen that many stores on the main street are being fixed up. This is not because they hope to attract the sort of visitors whose primary motivation seems to be the quantity of prostitutes roaming the street.

I'm with CabareteCid: Cleanup Sosua!!

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
re Ken
I live in Sosua, and I agree that it should be cleaned up in that sence that the police arrests drugdealers, thiefs, burglears, and also girls on the street with inproper behavior.
But the original question was about the arrests of girls being out after dark without having done anything illegal or bothering anybody. It would be interesting to get Fabio Guzzmans wiev on that situation.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Tor said:
re Ken
I live in Sosua, and I agree that it should be cleaned up in that sence that the police arrests drugdealers, thiefs, burglears, and also girls on the street with inproper behavior.
But the original question was about the arrests of girls being out after dark without having done anything illegal or bothering anybody. It would be interesting to get Fabio Guzzmans wiev on that situation.

I think that we can collectively agree that Sosua needs to be cleaned up, but like Tor said, if it's innocent girls they are picking up to extort money from, then who's profiting except for the Police?

Last edited:

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Cobra

Cobra is the nickname of our new police Colonel in Sosua.
He has been here in the past, and rules with an iron fist.
There is no doubt that some innocent people will be inconvenienced while he is here.

This brings us back to the original topic.

Some girls who do not have steady jobs and are out late at night, may get arrested, even if they are not up to anything illegal at the time.

There may be a better way to deal with the few bad apples around, but I don't know how, and despite some of the methods being less than acceptable, the results are needed.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Rocky said:
There may be a better way to deal with the few bad apples around, but I don't know how, and despite some of the methods being less than acceptable, the results are needed.

I agree. And as far as the discussion about whether or not the police are acting legally, what difference does it make what we think? If this moves the DR up or down a notch on the Human Rights black list, I don't think anyone in an official position is going to be too upset.

I would be interested in knowing what others who agree that Sosua needs to be cleaned up and the prostitutes kept off the street consider the approved method of getting this done quickly.

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Wow ! So normal human rights and democratic rules is of no importance to you ? That was an interresting perspective. You must realy hate those local girls.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I don't think that either Ken or I were trying to pass judgement on prostitution, as much as we recognize that the level of harassment in the streets of Sosua is unacceptable.
It's not good for tourism or daily life as an expat, specially for those who have kids.
The real problem is the thieves. They pose as prostitutes and rob tourists.
This does need to be cleaned up.
I don't approve of any illegal or immoral methods used, but I have learned to accept that things are done in a different manner here.

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
"The real problem is the thieves. They pose as prostitutes and rob tourists"

You are right on there Rocky, and it would be very easy for the police to take those away. I guess the problem is that those girls dosen't have any money (they are also very little sexual attractive), so it would be only work and problems to go after theese. So instead they take the girls which can pay themselves out, but in realty doesn't bother anyone.