Horseback riding

golferx

Feb 20, 2004
Does anyone know of anywhere to go horseback riding in Puerto Plata area?
Also any good day trips? Was here last year and did the 4 wheeling, Safari, Scuba things and loking for something different maybe off the beaten path.

Thanks in Advance

Bob

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
golferx said:
Also any good day trips? Was here last year and did the 4 wheeling, Safari, Scuba things and loking for something different maybe off the beaten path.

Thanks in Advance

Bob
I don't know where to go in the puerto plata area but I know if you ever see anyone with a horse they will be more than happy to let you ride their horse for a few bucks. Anytime I go to the DR I talk to anyone I see with a horse. I love to see my daughters on a horse so I offer them a few bucks and they always accept. Good luck finding a horse.

oaktown75

Feb 9, 2005
Horses and more

Caberate area seems to have a pile of horse adventures.It's a bit farther out from POP also if you want some real adventure check out CoastalMotto Adventures.com(guided motocross journeys through the mountains)definatly worth checking out.Even have a guided ride for inexperienced riders around the beaches,back roads and motto cross track.A great way to see the dominican back country.Owners(Rob and Sandi Riley )really do it right.

URock

Feb 10, 2003
Ride 'em cowboy........

golferx said:
Does anyone know of anywhere to go horseback riding in Puerto Plata area?Bob

There's a place in Puerto Plata called Lorilor Ranch. We went horseback riding there and had a great time. Can't quite recall what we paid for the day, but it included lunch. We toured the mountainside and some of the locals homes as well as stopping at a swimming hole.

bill-ny

Mar 24, 2004
I booked a horseback riding excursion through Mel Tours for about $25 US. Mel Tours has an office almost directly across the street from Casa Marina Reef. The ranch is called Rancho Isabella, and is operated by a friendly English woman, Anita. Our guide, William, was a lot of fun and very friendly. They'll accomodate riders of any experience level. If you're an inexperienced rider, I strongly advise against doing anything more than a half-day, especially if you wish to sit down without too much pain for the rest of the week. :)

JRSYCOLL

Mar 10, 2003
horses

I know the Marien Coral hotel does horseback excursions right from the hotel..thru the mountains....you can contact them for more info....

SamGompers

Mar 14, 2004
In January, my son and I did a half-day horse excursion via Mel Tours. The ride was fantastic - - up through the hills above Sosua/Puerto Plata. The price was good. However, the horses were in pretty bad shape - - underfed, not well-kept, etc. Made me a bit queasy - - possibly aiding and abetting maltreatment. For our next couple of rides, we arranged things through a hotel we had stayed at on our previous trips and switched to a different ranch. While the ride trails weren't as interesting, the horses were definitely well-cared for.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
The best experience I have had is a 2hour beach ride with Gipsey Horse Ranch which is on the road to Cabarete from Sosua across the street from Coconut Palms on the right.

Well behaved horses and a great beach ride. Ran these horses as much as we needed and had a great time.

On the 25th of March is a full moon and we are making reservations for a moonlight ride now.

Escott

la flor

Jan 6, 2005
best horse back riding!

bill-ny said:
I booked a horseback riding excursion through Mel Tours for about $25 US. Mel Tours has an office almost directly across the street from Casa Marina Reef. The ranch is called Rancho Isabella, and is operated by a friendly English woman, Anita. Our guide, William, was a lot of fun and very friendly. They'll accomodate riders of any experience level. If you're an inexperienced rider, I strongly advise against doing anything more than a half-day, especially if you wish to sit down without too much pain for the rest of the week. :)
hi I went on this trip twice last summer, the best ever!! Anita is lovely, and you MUST ask for William when you book the trip!He is hillarious, I never laughed so much, we had a blast with him!!! What a personality!!!this was about a 3-4 hour trip, you ride thru a beautiful country side, breathtaking views, see crops of bananas and avacados, we stopped at a local resident for some cold Presidentes, we stopped and got off the horses to swim in the river with some beautiful Hatian children( and of course I gave them some cash!), we rode thru an unfortunate poor village were the children ran along side us(begging for money), it was sad to see them that way, but this is a wonderful trip, if I am ever back in the Puerto Plata area, I would do this trip again and again!!

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
oaktown75 said:
Caberate area seems to have a pile of horse adventures.It's a bit farther out from POP also if you want some real adventure check out CoastalMotto Adventures.com(guided motocross journeys through the mountains)definatly worth checking out.Even have a guided ride for inexperienced riders around the beaches,back roads and motto cross track.A great way to see the dominican back country.Owners(Rob and Sandi Riley )really do it right.
Right on! A REAL fun way to see the DR. Excellent operation.

Carlito

*** Sin Bin ***
Feb 11, 2005
Horseback riding in the DR ? (Puerto Plata)
I would simply buy a horse and keep it in Maimon or Yasica (sp?),
or closer to town perhaps.

I have lots of family in Puerto Plata, and they might even give me a horse. :tired:

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
la flor said:
we stopped and got off the horses to swim in the river with some beautiful Hatian children( and of course I gave them some cash!), we rode thru an unfortunate poor village were the children ran along side us(begging for money), it was sad to see them that way,

Where do you think they learned to beg? :tired:

To often tourists and expats create the beggers. I am not saying that these children don't need help but too many are being conditioned to expect handouts right away and as a "right". Also many are not as honestly in need as they pretend. Our first month here a small boy showed up at the door saying he was starving and his family was starving, please could he have some money to buy food? I gave him some veggies instead to take home to share with his family. I watched as he walked away and threw the food in the gutter. There are many ways to help here but I don't believe just handing out money is a very good one.

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
bill-ny said:

Book it yourself. In Jarrabacoa for example, it was $25 to book it thu a tiur company or $1.5 an hour if I approached them myself.

Canadian-Diver

Jan 8, 2005
Just got back from the DR

I just got back from the DR and stayed at the Playa Dorado area near Pueto Plata. The hotel (Playa Naco) offers a free 1 hr horseback riding ... If you are interested in taking an excursion, they offer half day, full day, and sunset rides up into the mountains.

It was $50 US for the full day ride which included a stop at a clear mountain pool for a swim following by a substantial DR lunch. It did take the full day and was well worth the $50.

Ask for Joyce... she is lovely lady...

CD

Coralreer

Sep 16, 2004
Sure, all of it can be found at Eden Bay resort (clothing optional) - www.edenbay.com

Then click on "Learn More" - Activities, see both On and Off-Site activities.

golferx said:

Thanks in Advance

Bob

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
That sounds like a blast......

Escott said:
The best experience I have had is a 2hour beach ride with Gipsey Horse Ranch which is on the road to Cabarete from Sosua across the street from Coconut Palms on the right.

Well behaved horses and a great beach ride. Ran these horses as much as we needed and had a great time.

On the 25th of March is a full moon and we are making reservations for a moonlight ride now.

Escott
........would you reserve a couple extra horses for Mary and I?