why do i feel like....

audboogie

Jul 4, 2004
everywhere i go in the DR whether it be out to eat, to a random colmado, to some vender on the side of the street, that they see me (an american white female) and charge me triple of what the price really is....its really frustrating too because now everytime i want to go buy something on my own i have to drag along my dominican husband who can make sure that im not being ripped off.....suks.....also i have a question about taxes in the DR if someone can explain me this......we went to a pizza place its like a restaurant outside that sells pizza. well we went one week and ordered our pizza to go and the price onthe menu was 280 for a grande. exactly 280 was what we paid,took our pizza and left.(me my husband and his neice all went). then maybe a week later my brother and his friend came to visit us, and we went to the same pizza place. went and sat down and ordered the same exact pizza..but this time the pizza cost 300 pesos. i didn't realize it until we got the bill and seen how not only was the price of the pizza jacked up, but also they had some "tax" that was like 20 percent of our bill!!!! so could someone explain to me, why were we taxed the time we sat down? is this tax legit? if so why weren't we charged it when we ordered out? also, why do you think our pizza now cost 20 pesos more? is there a special "american menu" we were given the second time around? ok i know 20 pesos isnt that much but is the idea or concept that pisses me off. or maybe its just coincidence that they raised thier prices within the week of our second trip??? who knows, but if anyone could explain me the tax thing i would appreciate it....thanks....

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
Hi,

You were not ripped off or the prices did not get jacked up on you. Relax. The first time you did not pay taxes because you took it to go. However the second time you ate at their restaurant and they taxed you 20 pesos. That's usual because they gave you service to sit down at eat here. They will charge you tax fee if you eat there, but nothing xtra if you do take out.
TRY this, go back and order the same thing and take it to go and you willl see the prices drop! Wow magic..... Goood luck

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I would agree with Stallion that most likely that was a "tip included" charge. I don't when it was that the price of the pizza went up, but a few months back, when the dollar was going crazy, prices were going up almost daily. I guess the thing to check was whether you were getting charged 300, while someone else was getting charged 200 for the same pizza and service.

lizzyjl80

Jun 16, 2004
I feel you hun

Listen Im dominican born but raised in ny and for some reason everyone tells me that jsut by the way i dress they can tell that "tu viaja" so every time i go to a colmado or somewhere else I have to ask my cousin how much something really costs so that i can know ahead of time.

Its the viajero factor
my cousin called it "el ojo-porciento" because one time we went to get some fritura and i ordered it they just saw me and they saw the car and already started looking aroun to see jsut how much more they could charge me.

In the end my cousin came out and said something like" esto no es al olo-por ciento"

it was so funny

Lechero

Aug 11, 2004
I can not believe you have your tatas in a ringer over 20 pesos!
Any establishment you patronize in DR has two prices. The local price and the "Gringo" price. In fact many restaurants have two menus. If you do not ask for the local menu you pay the "Gringo" price.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
Lechero said:
I can not believe you have your tatas in a ringer over 20 pesos!
Any establishment you patronize in DR has two prices. The local price and the "Gringo" price. In fact many restaurants have two menus. If you do not ask for the local menu you pay the "Gringo" price.

ok...this is somthing i have wanted to ask for a long time. If the bill comes with a service tax....then am i still expected to tip? I was a waiter here for years in nyc....and for parties of 6 or more...and automatic 18% was changed. I am just affraid that in the DR that the waiters dont see that 18%....even if it is on just a gringo party of 2. (i wish i could have added my tip on to many midwesteners and sourthers too!)

audboogie

Jul 4, 2004
actually stallion and lechero we paid a little more than 20 pesos if you read my post right. each pizza was 20 more pesos, and then at the end we were charged a 20 % tax on top of that...i remember the tax was 140 pesos. i don't care if i am american or not i dont think its cool that i get a different menu than the local and if i find out thats the case i don't visit your restaurant any more. just cause im white doesn't mean im rich....and thats what the dominican folks all seem to think as well as people here who reply. like i said its not only this one time at this specific restaurant its EVERYWHERE I GO!! colmodo, restaurant, shop...etc... AND thats what i was asking-are there two menus? and i have the same question as jerzyguy...so does this "tax" include the tip?
i also forgot to mention in the origional post that the next day we go to a different restaurant on the beach, sit down and eat, and are not charged a "tax"???? so what now? restaurants have a choice whether or not they want to charge a tax??? i doubt it...if that were the case im sure they all would charge it..... i guess the way to find out is to have my husband go back to the pizza place and sit down and eat and see what happens....

lizzy you know how i feel...real annoying right? if i just said oh well its only 10,20,30 or more pesos every time i bought something no doubt i would be broke real quick.

Lechero

Aug 11, 2004
Life is way too short to worry about 20 Pesos.
My Spanish is good enough to ask for the "local menu".
This usually saves me the 26% tax.
Try getting laid once in a while, you might crack a smile when you get overcharged 5 Pesos for a Presidente.