Nextel phone in dr?

acmike

Jan 11, 2005
I was recently in sd and my US Nextel phone registered no service.Is there any way to have it activated for use in the DR.Thanks..........Acmike

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
acmike said:
I was recently in sd and my US Nextel phone registered no service.Is there any way to have it activated for use in the DR.Thanks..........Acmike

You can try to have your phone activated there with one of the local cell phone service providers. Try going to centennial or verizon or tricom.

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
If your cellphone use a microship the only company that use GSM tecnology is Orange, if you have the roaming service activated you phone maybe doesn't has the right PRL. the other companies use CDMA Tecnology

If don't want to use the roaming service you have the opticon to activate it with pre pay plan, the activation is free, you only need to know the telephone activation code, and program the PRL that cost about 50.00 pesos and that it.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
acmike said:
Two members of my family have Nextel. It doesn't work in the DR and won't. The only option is to get an Orange account/phone and replace the chip in your Nextel phone with the Orange chip. A true pain.

It's easier to have Nextel auto-forward your calls to a DR cell. Get the caller's number and call them back. The auto-forward isn't cheap but you don't miss calls.

joseinoa

Jan 20, 2005
will never work even if you buy a orange sim card because nextel runs on iden network not gsm so you will never be able to use a nextel in dr.

onesweetone

Jun 26, 2006
You're right, nextel will not work in the DR unless you sign up for the international service plan and purchase the telephones that work with the service before you leave the US. I asked about it before leaving the US. The service is very high in price, $2.99 (US dollars) per minute, for incoming and outgoing calls.