going through customs

Jwb

Jan 10, 2002
At this time tommorrow I will be in the DR. I am taking the chance of bringing in some whosale items(ladies clothes, purses,shoes), that I have been collecting throughout the year, by visiting various flea markets. Will I have to pay taxes on them when I get to custom, or will the usual greasing of the hands do just fine? If anyone has a better idea of how to do this please send me a pm ( Shhhhhh, I dont want to appear to be immoral).

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
Jwb said:
At this time tommorrow I will be in the DR. I am taking the chance of bringing in some whosale items(ladies clothes, purses,shoes), that I have been collecting throughout the year, by visiting various flea markets. Will I have to pay taxes on them when I get to custom, or will the usual greasing of the hands do just fine? If anyone has a better idea of how to do this please send me a pm ( Shhhhhh, I dont want to appear to be immoral).

MY QUESTION IS WHERE ARE YOU ARRIVING FROM? AND WHICH AIRPORT WILL YOU BE LANDING AT? AND WHAT TIME. USUALLY THERE ARE MANY CUSTOMS OFFICERS ON THE DAY AND VERY FEW AT NIGHT.

Jwb

Jan 10, 2002
Santiago at 4:30 PM thursday 17 th. In the past I've flown into Las Americas and payed $20 dollars and not get checked. I hoping Santiago will not be any different.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
Jwb said:
Santiago at 4:30 PM thursday 17 th. In the past I've flown into Las Americas and payed $20 dollars and not get checked. I hoping Santiago will not be any different.

I take it you are a single guy traveling with these items. interesting question (nothing i would face my self....as i bring gifts for guys....but i am sure if i took a whole suitcase of sneakers and calvin clien underwear and too many baseball caps that i would be questioned. )....but would be interested as to see how it goes for you.

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
Jwb said:

That should do it. All the airports are the same. Last time I gave them $10 us and all went smooth. I even got a handshake and a smile to go with it.

Jwb

Jan 10, 2002
I'm here

Just stopped by at Rockys to say hi. I got through custom with a suitcase of new clothes,women purses and other items valued at about $2,000 without any problems.

I payed the agent the usual propina ($20.00) heheheehehehe..........

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
Jwb said:
Just stopped by at Rockys to say hi. I got through custom with a suitcase of new clothes,women purses and other items valued at about $2,000 without any problems.

I payed the agent the usual propina ($20.00) heheheehehehe..........

Good for you. I am glad you made a clean get-a-way. And the good thing is next time you can bring $4,000 worth and you will pay the same amount of propina.he he he

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
never did

I never gave a bribe. How do you go about doing it. Slide the money in on the side or just hand it out right?
Do you give it when they start opening your suitcases? Or to the guy that points you in that direction?
You just pull out the geeters and give it to him?
Sorry...but I never did this before and need detailed instructions

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
They try to see if you speak Spanish first. If you do one fellow gives you a price NOT to look and then you get there and they do look and the guy that looks is looking for money also.

What a bunch of BoZoS these guys are. I use to give them a few pesos so they wouldnt wrinkle my clothes but after the last time when they tossed my luggage even after taking my money I wouldnt give them the dirt under my fingernails. These crooks can't even get it straight even after you pay them.

What an amazing country.

Last time I traveled with another person with 6 overweight suitcases with stuff that they would NEVER have understood. I wore a black suit, white shirt, red tie, dark glasses and told the other person to stay on my arse. I only got a "Hola Jefe" and the person behind me just pointed to me when they tried to pull bs and walked right out behind me.

I now travel in a suit to the DR.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
I show them the business card of a very well known athlete (Pan-American gold medalist) and captain in the army.. then tell them I'm here to visit this person.. they salute and waive me through...

Carlito

*** Sin Bin ***
Feb 11, 2005
At one time a card from General Imbert was enough to bring in a cargo plan loaded with stuff, and one of his Lt's would meet you and walk you through customs.

ReaLOnE

Feb 27, 2005
lol its funny but the first time i went to D.R in my class As the idiots didnt know what it was so they was trying to put me to work. I had to tell them i was military and i was vsiting family in D.R so they just took me straight from the customs and took me outside and tried to get me a cab.. They wasnt even going to check my passport or anything till i told them im Just a resident of the states and i still needed to get stamped.. guy got the passport stamped and took me outside.....