ExxonMobil entres into Extended Drain Market

Camachosoft

Nov 18, 2003
Camachosoft, you violated 3 DR1 guidelines in one post: (1) this was not original material with attribution; (2) this was basically an ad (are you connected to Exxon/Mobil in some way); and (3) it has ZERO DR content.

Next time will not be just a warning!

The Environment Forum Moderator :glasses:

Last edited by a moderator:

Camachosoft

Nov 18, 2003
(1) this was not original material with attribution;

This is not original, i use it as informative material.

(2) this was basically an ad (are you connected to Exxon/Mobil in some way);

I am not connected with exxon/mobil in ANY way, actually i use amsoil motor oils, they have 25,000 miles warranty since 1972.

and (3) it has ZERO DR content.

This is a environment forum:

Each year, U.S. citizens dump more than 24,000,000 gallons of oil down sewers or into landfills. If you use petroleum oil and drain your oil every 3,000 miles, you will use about 40 quarts of oil (over 25,000 miles).

The environmental issue is often framed in the language of behavior. Are we a selfish civilization whose quest for instant gratification trashes the natural world and leaves a mess for our children? It's an argument intended to provoke guilt. And we resist guilt.

But consider this account by the New York Times, using as its source the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the American Petroleum Institute (API): "Each year, 1.2 billion gallons of lubricating oil are used in vehicles; 600 million gallons are burned up in engines, and 600 million gallons are removed at oil change time. Drivers who change their own oil account for 350 million of the removed gallons, and they improperly discard 240 million gallons of used oil."

Dumping 240 million gallons of oil is nearly the same as two Exxon Valdez spills each month. Improperly dumped waste oil seeps through landfills into ground water, disrupts bacterial digestion in sewer treatment plants (causing even more pollution), and washes into lakes and harbors. And we have no confident estimate of what happens to properly discarded waste oil. In 1989, there were only four re-finers left in the U.S. They processed a total of only 50 million gallons of the 600 million gallons theoretically possible.

Are we drowning in waste oil? Drowning is, of course, overly dramatic. But, do we have a serious problem? Are we trashing the world we leave to our children? And, most important, shouldn't we be doing something about it right now? Certainly.

EXTENDED OIL CHANGES HELP ENVIRONMENT.....

SORRY ANYWAY....

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Camachosoft said:

Correction: this is an environment forum on a DR-related board whose guidelines say clearly to try to keep it DR-related.

I have no objection whatsoever to discussing the problem of used oil (in fact, if you do a search on the subject, you'll find I once started a thread on the subject and have contributed to similar threads on the topic) or even reducing oil/lubricant consumption through use of extended life lubricants as long as it is put in a DR context. It's not that hard to do -- you could even ask if Exxon makes it available in the DR, and why its use is not more prevalent. But what you posted originally read like one long ad for one company's product, and it never mentioned Latin America or the Caribbean, much less the DR.

gringito

Feb 21, 2005
DR Used Lube Oil?

Camachosoft said:
(1) this was not original material with attribution;

This is not original, i use it as informative material.

(2) this was basically an ad (are you connected to Exxon/Mobil in some way);

I am not connected with exxon/mobil in ANY way, actually i use amsoil motor oils, they have 25,000 miles warranty since 1972.

Each year, U.S. citizens dump more than 24,000,000 gallons of oil down sewers or into landfills. If you use petroleum oil and drain your oil every 3,000 miles, you will use about 40 quarts of oil (over 25,000 miles).

The environmental issue is often framed in the language of behavior. Are we a selfish civilization whose quest for instant gratification trashes the natural world and leaves a mess for our children? It's an argument intended to provoke guilt. And we resist guilt.

But consider this account by the New York Times, using as its source the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the American Petroleum Institute (API): "Each year, 1.2 billion gallons of lubricating oil are used in vehicles; 600 million gallons are burned up in engines, and 600 million gallons are removed at oil change time. Drivers who change their own oil account for 350 million of the removed gallons, and they improperly discard 240 million gallons of used oil."

Dumping 240 million gallons of oil is nearly the same as two Exxon Valdez spills each month. Improperly dumped waste oil seeps through landfills into ground water, disrupts bacterial digestion in sewer treatment plants (causing even more pollution), and washes into lakes and harbors. And we have no confident estimate of what happens to properly discarded waste oil. In 1989, there were only four re-finers left in the U.S. They processed a total of only 50 million gallons of the 600 million gallons theoretically possible.

Are we drowning in waste oil? Drowning is, of course, overly dramatic. But, do we have a serious problem? Are we trashing the world we leave to our children? And, most important, shouldn't we be doing something about it right now? Certainly.

EXTENDED OIL CHANGES HELP ENVIRONMENT.....

SORRY ANYWAY....
I have had my administrative assistant checking in the DR for how much used lube oil is produced annually in the DR. It is an environmental issue that can be turned easily into a huge positive very economically. But we are having difficulty finding any stats on the quantities produced in country. Any ideas on where we might get that info?

gringito

Feb 21, 2005
Talked With Them Already

Camachosoft said:
Call METALDOM, i think they use used oil for their industrial boiler

peace
Thanks but we tried them already.

Regards