Objetivo Fama...US

DarkDreamer

Apr 5, 2004
Hey all..
I'm a Puerto Rican first of all..and wanted to let you all Dominicans out there know that the reality show 'Objetivo Fama' which airs in Telefutura and that its currently filmed in PR has a dominican participant..her name is Anais and she is absolutely my favorite..she has an amazing voice...i'm just giving u heads up just in case they nominate her to leave...u guys can support her.. she trully ahs talent and you all should be very proud of her...

If you would like to post something u can go to the forum at univision.com and go to the Objetivo fama forum...I am currently pissed off at the production of the show because they seem to favor some mexican dude.. i mena the guy has talent but so does Anais and the rest...my problem with prodction is that they are always giving poor Anais merengue..to just trying to fill the steryotype of dominican=merengue...i have no porblem with this bus Anais voice is more suit for balads and pop...she has breathtaking voice... and she does not want only to sing merengue...so plz support her...

oh and im even more pissed off because the host(victor noriega) who's a mexican and apparently is clueless about other cultures..mentioned that Anais looked really pretty NOW that she had straight hair...like if curly hair was somehting bad...and what bothere me more
is that last week when Anais was about to sing with her partner Rosangela who si of dominican descent as well but born in PR...well he presented them as
'two girls of dominican descent,,BUT with a lot of talent' what the hell... like if being dominican had a correlation with being talented or not...
Please Support her...she deserves it..!

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
the things you say do not surprise me. Spanish television is one of the most racist forums I have ever found. This is why it shocks me people keep supporting that mess. I really just feel sorry for them.

FuegoAzul21

Jun 28, 2004
i have been seeing alot of the reviews about the show. I did see one episode and was wondering why 85% of the participants are puerto rican , but DarkDreamer already clarified why.I am also wondering if Anais is the one who was on the New York Objetivo Fama , if thats her then i know who you are talking about.I agree with dealt on the racism of Latin American TV,its sickening.I beleive its like this becuase much of the programing is mexican run and Mexican Tv is horrible at this .Its a common joke among other hispanics that as soon as a mexican girl is born with blue eyes and white skin they send her right to televisa's door step and turn her into an actress,becuase lets be honest, i have never seen the typical looking mexican on one telenovela which is sooooo sad and ironic.90% of mexicans do NOT look like Luis Miguel ,Thalia,or any of those tv guys. I dont understand it,Mexicans love to celebrate their Aztec past and heritage yet no one can speak out on that .I mean ,me being Dominican ,if that was the case in DR i would be pissed but ,thank god the case is not as bad as mexicos.Another jokes hispanics use is that when americans go to Mexico looking for novela looking women ,they only find them in the novelas,lol,its really funny becuase its kinda true.also, remember that mexico has a incredibaly small population with African heritage as oppose to the caribean and other latin american countries , so you cannot expect them to be as sensitive with the topic as we are .Thats where the Colombian,Miami-based Cuban , Venezuelan,and Puerto Rican media fares off alot better.Plus their women are WAY!!!!! better looking then the women of mexican Tv .

A FUEGILLO !!!!!!

DarkDreamer

Apr 5, 2004
FuegoAzul21 said:
i have been seeing alot of the reviews about the show. I did see one episode and was wondering why 85% of the participants are puerto rican , but DarkDreamer already clarified why.I am also wondering if Anais is the one who was on the New York Objetivo Fama , if thats her then i know who you are talking about.I agree with dealt on the racism of Latin American TV,its sickening.I beleive its like this becuase much of the programing is mexican run and Mexican Tv is horrible at this .Its a common joke among other hispanics that as soon as a mexican girl is born with blue eyes and white skin they send her right to televisa's door step and turn her into an actress,becuase lets be honest, i have never seen the typical looking mexican on one telenovela which is sooooo sad and ironic.90% of mexicans do NOT look like Luis Miguel ,Thalia,or any of those tv guys. I dont understand it,Mexicans love to celebrate their Aztec past and heritage yet no one can speak out on that .I mean ,me being Dominican ,if that was the case in DR i would be pissed but ,thank god the case is not as bad as mexicos.Another jokes hispanics use is that when americans go to Mexico looking for novela looking women ,they only find them in the novelas,lol,its really funny becuase its kinda true.also, remember that mexico has a incredibaly small population with African heritage as oppose to the caribean and other latin american countries , so you cannot expect them to be as sensitive with the topic as we are .Thats where the Colombian,Miami-based Cuban , Venezuelan,and Puerto Rican media fares off alot better.Plus their women are WAY!!!!! better looking then the women of mexican Tv .

A FUEGILLO !!!!!!
I am completely in agreement with you..currently in Puerto Rico we have huge problems with mexicovision oops i mean Univision.. Objetivo Fama is puerto rican product and univision decides that it should go 'national' to all of the US..I have no problem with that...but what they are doing is making it appelaing to mexicans..they obiously have a preference fr the mexicans on the show...the artist that go to the show..like Gracilea Beltran who i recently found out who she was..was presented as a huge mega star..she sing regional mexican music...that appeals to mexicans but what about the rest of hispanics...they have beentrying to implement mexican culture in Puerto RIco for qquite a long time...that why we are trying for them not to get their license back..they cancelled all programation that didnt fit their mexican agenda..the host of this show SUCKS beyond belief its been all over the press and inquiries ahve been made about his racial slurs towards DOminicans...and dark skinned ppl yet he is still there because he is a pretty face and of course because he is mexican...i used to love this show... but now its not what it used to be..im only watching it because I firmly belive Anais deserves to win...i cant bear the thought of such talent going down the drain...she number 1#! y sera otra estrella por la cual uds hermanos dominicanos se sentiran orgulloso..
by the way fuego yes anais is from NY...but like she says... first is dominican

Joy

Gee

Jan 5, 2005
To all that are ignorant to the fact that Mexico is the most developed country of Latin America and that is the reason that they have the money to fund these shows. Most Latino stars go there to become stars since there are 90 million people. Until another country can afford the programming, you will see Mexican shows.

DarkDreamer

Apr 5, 2004
V?ctor Noriega: ?racista?
El animador mexicano V?ctor Noriega no sale de una para meterse en otra. En momentos cuando su capacidad como animador es fuertemente criticada por el p?blico y los medios de comunicaci?n, al anfitri?n se le escap? un fuerte comentario xen?fobo a la hora de presentar la interpretaci?n de Mart?nez y Abreu.

"Ana?s y Ros?ngela, dos chicas con herencia dominicana pero muy destacadas", fue la frase verbalizada por Noriega, provocando la incomodidad de varias personas all? presentes.

Esto salio en la prensa ayer:....

Durante la transmisi?n, se pudo observar que la modelo Yizette Cifredo, en comparaci?n con las pasadas dos presentaciones estelares, tuvo mayor participaci?n en su papel de coanimadora, tal vez en reacci?n a la p?sima acogida que ha tenido su compa?ero.

Sobredosis mexicana
Como si no fuera suficiente la avalancha de regionalismos mexicanos escuchados en apenas tres galas ?a?n faltan 11?, en esta ocasi?n subi? a escena en calidad de artista invitada la cantante Graciela Beltr?n, quien con el g?nero de banda, matiz? fuertemente la velada de sabor azteca, logrando que la producci?n boricua de "Objetivo fama" se sienta cada vez m?s distante del p?blico puertorrique?o que tanto apoy? la primera edici?n.

para el articulo completo vaya a:

DarkDreamer

Apr 5, 2004
Gee said:
To all that are ignorant to the fact that Mexico is the most developed country of Latin America and that is the reason that they have the money to fund these shows. Most Latino stars go there to become stars since there are 90 million people. Until another country can afford the programming, you will see Mexican shows.

Most developed country in LATIN AMERICA?? I doubt it...proof please
maybe mexicans in the US...are the most growing minority but that doesn't mean they get the right to impose their culture upon the rest of Hispanics...
We all ahve our own culture which we love and enjoy...and by the way.. there might be 90 million ppl there..but the poverty rate is alarmingly HIGH... so don't make it seem like all artists just get rich there because the country is in such great shape.. there is a reason why there so many mexicans in the US u know...
It comes down to respecting other ppls cultures...just because they are growing doesnt mean we have to accept their culture as if it was a religion... that doesnt give them the right to make racial slurs against other ppl either...

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
I agree with DarkDreamer 110%. Having lived in Mexico it's not the most pleasant experience as a person of color. I liked that other slasero guy from nicaragua as MC; he is a person that just has a ton of class...period.

As for that negrito papichulo from Bayamon...Oh man, I just want to wrap him up an take him home. ;-)

D

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Telefutura and Univision (sister channels)

Since we are discussing Telefutura I have always noticed something interesting about Univision (sister channel) may be others can voice their opinion. I am not familiar with the show the OP mentioned however, I do agree that there is a tendency to promote a noticeably heavy Mexican domination in all types of broadcasts my observation being specific to journalism and the journalists. I have always wondered why a great percentage of the journalists are Mexican or of Mexican decent. I refuse to believe that their are no Hispanic journalists from other countries that are not just as eligible. Therefore it makes me question why there are so many Mexican journalists. The Univision channel I watch is the central broadcast from Miami but I know the local Univision channels (for example channel 41 in NYC) differ slightly in that they have local broadcasts as well thus the journalists may be from other countries but I can not attest to that.

Also has anyone compared the Mexican presence in other large Spanish TV channels (US based) such as Telemundo or CNN en espa?ol just to see if there are similar trends?

More to the OP's point I agree that there is definitely bias and inappropriate comments when it comes to the portrayal of other Hispanic cultures and if Telefutrua and Univision are tolerating this I think it's completely unacceptable since they are the largest Spanish TV channel in the US. Again the underlying issues of discrimination and ignorance etc. manifest themselves openly via the portrayal of culture and comments by commentators like Victor Noriega.

-Lesley D-

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
Hispanic TV in the US has always.....

...been very biased. It's like apartheid, with 10% ruling the rest of the spectrum. There are many solutions out there to this issue, like getting rid of the idiot that hosts the show and replacing him with someone local from Puerto Rico. It just adds to the silly stereotypes that they keep using these blue-eyed girls in Mexico to broadcast their novelas every friggin' day on Univision. They should try doing 'El Premio Mayor' again, finally one that didn't have the poor maid that falls in love with the male lead actor in the novela. However, out of the 43 million people of Hispanic descent in the US, half of those are Mexican so it's kinda hard to see anything else when they are so widespread.

Honestly, I think we won't change anything until we start living in areas where there aren't too many of us. I mean, I see plenty of Latinos/as in Texas but are there alot in Cleveland or Seattle or Kansas City? I live in southern Virginia and over here the lack of diversity just kills me. However, because of that lack of diversity, I am determined to show others here a beautiful culture. They usually have a preconcieved notion of what a Hispanic person is and I try to dismantle all that stuff. It's a pretty broad issue to tackle but I have friends from all over so it's easier to explain it to them that if someone else were to do it.

Also, to that person that talked about Mexico being more developed than the rest of Latin America, explain why so many cross the border. Explain why people in Chile, since they're so "underdeveloped", why they choose to stay in that beautiful nation of theirs. Explain why countries with a smaller population are doing better for themselves than Mexico. Explain why people go to Costa Rica for eco-tourism and not Mexico when both countries have beautiful jungles in them. Explain all that......and explain why some of my Mexican friends don't ever want to live there and criticize their own people worse than anything some other Dominicans on DR1 say about DR.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Mexico is not considered the most developed country...

Just to clarify a comment by "Gee" to my understanding Mexico is not considered the most developed LA country. Traditionally it has been one of the leaders in what is defined as "the largest economies that fuel the Latin America region" along with Chile, Brazil and Argentina". However, in a today's definition it has definitely lost ground. The large markets by far are still Chile and Brazil. I will see if I could find some recent documentation or stats.

As well, to expand a little further on my previous post in retrospect since collectively the Mexican population in the US is the largest Hispanic group as a whole perhaps Spanish TV in the US has decided to have a target audience. However, I still disagree because there are other significantly large groups i.e. Puerto Rican, Dominican, Cuban in the US and Mexican culture is not representative of all Hispanic culture by no means. Therefore, there is either underlying discrimination thus keeping other Hispanic groups oppressed or Univision, Telefutura and other Spanish TV stations have a hidden agenda.

-Lesley D-

Last edited:

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
"Am?rica Latina crecer? en 2005"

Here are some projections from BBC Mundo.com

La BBC habl? con el subsecretario general de la ONU para Asuntos Econ?micos y Sociales, Jos? Antonio Ocampo, portavoz de la comisi?n que elabor? el informe.

?Que pa?ses de la regi?n van a experimentar un mayor crecimiento?

En t?rminos de los pa?ses m?s grandes de la regi?n, nosotros estamos esperando un crecimiento continuado de Argentina, que ha venido experimentando un proceso de recuperaci?n muy acelerado en los ?ltimos a?os.

Tambi?n Brasil, que tuvo una recuperaci?n espectacular el a?o pasado, va a tener un ritmo continuado de crecimiento alto y bueno Chile, que posiblemente va a ser individualmente la econom?a m?s din?mica de la regi?n durante este a?o.

There you have it folks as I stated the three largest economies in Latin America today are: Argentina (even after the crash a few years ago), Brasil and Chile with the most promising outlook of the three in 2005.

Here's the link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/spanish/latin_america/newsid_4248000/4248209.stm

-Lesley D-

andrea9k

Apr 17, 2004
Gee said:

Robert, we need an smiley flushing down a toilet...

carl ericson70

Nov 15, 2003
DarkDreamer said:
Hey all..
I'm a Puerto Rican first of all..and wanted to let you all Dominicans out there know that the reality show 'Objetivo Fama' which airs in Telefutura and that its currently filmed in PR has a dominican participant..her name is Anais and she is absolutely my favorite..she has an amazing voice...i'm just giving u heads up just in case they nominate her to leave...u guys can support her.. she trully ahs talent and you all should be very proud of her...

If you would like to post something u can go to the forum at univision.com and go to the Objetivo fama forum...I am currently pissed off at the production of the show because they seem to favor some mexican dude.. i mena the guy has talent but so does Anais and the rest...my problem with prodction is that they are always giving poor Anais merengue..to just trying to fill the steryotype of dominican=merengue...i have no porblem with this bus Anais voice is more suit for balads and pop...she has breathtaking voice... and she does not want only to sing merengue...so plz support her...

oh and im even more pissed off because the host(victor noriega) who's a mexican and apparently is clueless about other cultures..mentioned that Anais looked really pretty NOW that she had straight hair...like if curly hair was somehting bad...and what bothere me more
is that last week when Anais was about to sing with her partner Rosangela who si of dominican descent as well but born in PR...well he presented them as
'two girls of dominican descent,,BUT with a lot of talent' what the hell... like if being dominican had a correlation with being talented or not...
Please Support her...she deserves it..!

".mentioned that Anais looked really pretty NOW that she had straight hair.". Ah yes........ the wonderfull world of latin america's racial democracy. Where color or phenotype doesn't matter. Quite unlike the obsessively racist u.s.............NOT! The fact of the matter is that latins are majorly biased against blacks and view them as stepping-stones to"whiteness"

Even among partially or predominately afro latin americans, there's a pecking order. The lightest: the most desirable. The darkest & most africoid: The least desirable. So........... while afro hispanics are often disparaged & stereotyped by mestizo and white hispanics(especially mexicans). You'd find many a dominican black dishing out the same justice to darker haitians. Hence, the pecking order of negritude. What a mess!

Carl

DMAO

Oct 30, 2004
Yes, Anais Arias is very talented. She is my Stepfather's niece. I did not know she was talented until he told me a couple of weeks ago she was on TV. I was in DR, so I wasn't up to date on info. She is his brother Pedro's daughter. They are both Dominican but were raised in PR. I think her mom is PR.I don't remember if my Stepfather said she was born in PR. I think she was born in DR but left to PR as a child. My mother met her a a family tragedy a few years ago. She said she a very nice girl. Very down to earth.

If you'd like I can get the facts straight, and post them.

I

Ikill for money

so true ...........

Spanish television is one of the most racist. Any of you remember what happend with julio savala? to me he is one of the most funny to see hosting a show. And even if he have great talent the mexican television seen to have got rid off him.No joke those Awards they give are so boring with out 1 of the best , julio savala. I stop seen them years ago.
Im tired of mexican programs, i want to see others Countries too .

They make julio savala go out of Business.

Last edited:

DarkDreamer

Apr 5, 2004
juancarlos said:
para el articulo completo vaya a:

A donde? I want to read the whole article.

sorry about that..forgot to paste the link...
http://www.primerahora.com/noticia.asp?guid=D5E07C4E63B44949AE84012348A8C7F2

and here's one about Univision overall... the only 3 local programs being TELENOTICIAS, Anda pal' cara...and 'OBEJTIVO FAMA' which is not local at all...
Univisi?n en peligro de perder licencia aunque lidera audiencia
PRIMERA HORA > ASI
lunes, 14 de febrero de 2005

Por Yaisha Vargas
Agencia EFE
SAN JUAN.- La empresa Univisi?n corre el riesgo de perder la licencia de funcionamiento en Puerto Rico si prospera una denuncia contra su programaci?n, mientras sufre adem?s un conflicto sindical de incierta soluci?n.

La Alianza Puertorrique?a de Artistas y Grupos Amigos (APAGA) confirm? hoy a EFE que ha solicitado, con el apoyo de otros grupos, a la Comisi?n Federal de Comunicaciones (FCC) estadounidense que no renueve la licencia de funcionamiento al canal de televisi?n que Univisi?n explota en Puerto Rico y que venci? el pasado 1 de febrero.

Esa solicitud se basa en el supuesto de que la programaci?n de Univisi?n en la isla es contraria a los intereses y valores de los puertorrique?os, a pesar de que es una de las que cuenta con mayor audiencia.

Desde hace tres a?os, Univisi?n administra las estaciones WLII y WSUR en San Juan y Ponce (sur de Puerto Rico), propiedad de la empresa estadounidense Raycom Media.

Univisi?n tiene la opci?n de comprar las estaciones, pero Raycom Media deber? renovar el permiso de la FCC para utilizar la se?al antes de traspasar el inmueble o seguir rentando su explotaci?n.

APAGA se form? hace un a?o, despu?s de que el actor boricua Luis Enrique Romero iniciara una solitaria protesta contra la cadena de televisi?n estadounidense en espa?ol.

Romero y un grupo de actores, grupos sindicales, portavoces comunitarios y el Colegio de Abogados de Puerto Rico intentan detener la que consideran una "agresi?n cultural de Univisi?n contra los puertorrique?os" y quieren lograr que la emisora realice producciones en la isla.

"Univisi?n elimina las producciones en Puerto Rico porque carecen de inter?s internacional y nos acusa de no tener un lenguaje neutral", subray? Romero.

"Para el cubano, el argentino, el espa?ol y el mexicano su forma de hablar es neutral. Es algo relativo y en aras de eso (la empresa) ha suspendido 47 horas de programaciones puertorrique?as", agreg?.

Romero explic? que la demanda de APAGA ante la FCC se fundamenta en el argumento de que Univisi?n no da servicio a la comunidad puertorrique?a, a pesar de operar con una se?al local.

"La programaci?n no est? de acuerdo con la realidad cultural puertorrique?a. Cuando el equipo de baloncesto de Puerto Rico le gan? a Estados Unidos en las Olimpiadas aqu? est?bamos de fiesta y los comentaristas de Univisi?n se estaban lamentando", enfatiz?.

Ra?l Santiago, del Colegio de Abogados, indic? que "la situaci?n de Univisi?n podr?a entrar en conflicto con la reglamentaci?n federal, sobre todo si a eso se le a?ade que en el ejercicio de la pol?tica de la estaci?n podr?a haber indicios de discriminaci?n".

Santiago, abogado laboral, especific? que la FCC procura que las comunicaciones en los medios electr?nicos "est?n fundamentalmente dirigidas a la difusi?n del servicio p?blico" en el lugar donde se emite la se?al.

Agreg? que "no tengo la m?s m?nima duda de que hay discriminaci?n contra los puertorrique?os", pero reconoci? que el proceso para evitar que Raycom Media renueve la licencia ser? "cuesta arriba".

Seg?n Santiago, la queja provocar? una reacci?n en la FCC s?lo "si la denuncia genera una reacci?n social".

Para Univisi?n "es importante" que Raycom Media logre la renovaci?n. "Es tan simple como que si no se renueva la licencia no hay canal y quedar?a much?sima gente en la calle", dijo a EFE Tere Miranda, portavoz de Univisi?n.

La emisora de televisi?n neg? las denuncias de que su programaci?n no representa a la cultura puertorrique?a, asegur? que ha aumentado la plantilla en el departamento de noticias y que ha adquirido equipo tecnol?gico nuevo.

Asegur? que el 99 por ciento de los empleados que trabajan en producciones locales son boricuas y que adem?s de las noticias, Univisi?n mantiene tres programas locales en el aire y ha realizado algunos espect?culos especiales.

Adem?s de la objeci?n a la licencia, Univisi?n negocia sin ?xito desde hace dos a?os un convenio colectivo con el sindicato Uni?n de Periodistas, Artes Gr?ficas y Ramas Anexas (UPAGRA), y las conversaciones llegaron a un punto muerto hace varios meses.

La emisora sostiene que UPAGRA ha sido "irrazonable", mientras el presidente de ese sindicato, N?stor Soto, asegur? a EFE que la empresa "no quiere respetar la antig?edad de los empleados" y "quieren hacer trabajos con personas que no sean de la unidad apropiada".

"Univisi?n no va a ceder en aquellos renglones que nos hacen falta para asegurar, dentro de lo posible, el futuro de la estaci?n", asegur? la empresa en una respuesta escrita a la solicitud de EFE de una entrevista para que sus responsables expresaran su posici?n.

Last edited:

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Univision...too much controversy

DarkDreamer thanks for adding the article on Univision.

By reading it one certainly gets a taste of the politics behind television broadcasting. It also answered one key question I always had which was why isn?t there a Univsion channel exclusively (with the Univision logo) in PR. When I visited the island a few years ago I could not view some of my regular programs.

As for the contractual problems that they are facing now it will be interesting to see what happens but it is surprising with the rights to only three shows (and one is really on Telefutura) they draw such a large audience. Therefore it would be in their best interests to maintain them but the issue of PR having a greater presence in Univision and the rights to produce shows in PR because they are operating under a local logo seems to be quite controversial and correct. I would think by having the local logo this would allow exclusive rights to PR geared programs although still under the Univision label.

However, I really disagree with the rationale behind this statement:

?"Univisi?n elimina las producciones en Puerto Rico porque carecen de inter?s internacional y nos acusa de no tener un lenguaje neutral", subray? Romero.

"Para el cubano, el argentino, el espa?ol y el mexicano su forma de hablar es neutral.

Every country has colloquial speech and PR is no exception. I personally think Spanish spoken authentically in other countries can be comparatively difficult to understanding PR Spanish for argument sake. In PR those in television can neutralize their Spanish if need be. I think this is just a classic reflection of how PR Spanish has always been stigmatized by other Latin American countries but unjustly in this case because if Univision operates under a local logo in PR then it should and can be geared toward the local audience in which case ?el espa?ol puertorrique?o? would be the standard.

The outcome of this certainly will be interesting.

-Lesley D-